Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wondering what exactly is the difference between a greddy type s bov and a type rs bov other than the physical look of them. is it the tunability or are they for more agressive setups? im lost on this, ive looked at greddy.com and cant find any explanation

·
Registered
28 Posts
i'm not exactly sure either. supposedly from what i've heard the rs is more reliable. to me i just think that greddy "upgraded" the blow off vavle and it sounds completely different. i don't think they should have discontinued the type-s though, it's too popular.

M

·
0 Posts
I have a bunch of friends who have TiAL BOVs and they love em. The one thing is you have to weld the flange to the IC piping.

·
Registered
978 Posts

·
Sleeper Needs Boost!
2,685 Posts
I like the ones that sound like a rattle snake.... like.... PPPPssshhhhh ch chhc ccchh ccchhh....

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
Here ya go man

http://www.935motorsports.com/bovmediaX.htm

As for a better bov? The HKS SSQV is hands down the better bov for the money, and it has a nice mean whistle to it, and a whistle/chirp at about 5 psi. Turns heads everywhere ;). The SSQV is a lot better than the Greddy's, the Greddy bovs are not a pull type such as the hks, the hks is pulled shut when under boost, and the second that the boost goes back it opens instantly, most of the time faster than the greddy. The HKS resembles most stock Bypass valves and has super quick release on it, making it the 2nd best bov on the mr2 in my case, the oem bypass valve is better until you go to stand alone or convert to maf.

Anyways, the greddy type s has a sharp, annoying type of whistle to it, and the type rs is just basically a louder whoosh sound. If you want a nice whistle, get the HKS, the ebay knockoffs are about $50-75 shipped, and yes they do work. People have torn them apart and they are damn near the same as the HKS bovs. No one as of now has had problems with their ebay knockoffs that go on the mr2 forums, so they have to be pretty good.

Hope this helps.

M

·
0 Posts
actually in most cases that chchchch sound is a bad thing. this is caused by compressor surge from the BOV being too tight. this can be the cause for a broken shaft in your turbo because the air slamming back into it will stop the wheel that's spinning at 80k rpms or more. this is the main reason for having a BOV, protecting the turbo.

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
i'll post up a video of my HKS bov on my mr2 soon. I just bought a new camcorder today and it has awesome quality, but i didnt think you had to buy a memory card :roll: $350 on top of the stupid $25-50 for the memory card.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
that chirping sound from the z's bov before the woosh (the sound of running fingernails across a riged notebook) is exactly what mine does. it never did it until i changed my intake pipe from the dsm rubber stuff to a hard pipe with k&n filter. it's really kinda cool. btw, i'm using a h-rfl knockoff from ebay with absolutely no problems (after i cut the spring a little). coolest thing i bought, in ricer terms. lol

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^^^^ is that a pethetic attempt at getting some post points in cause i really dont see what you agree with. ne how what do you guys think about the turbo xs RFL bov? and what about the knockoffs on ebay? are they legit?

M

·
0 Posts
the xs bov is loud but sounds awesome. as for the ebay bovs, i would avoid em.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts