Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was offered a 2nd gen si, it’s in poor condition as far as I could tell but none the less a free car with hundreds of dollars in parts for free as well. I want to know how hard it is exactly to find parts for it as I see a lot of project cars started and rarely finished I’m worried. I’m waiting to get more information on the car I don’t know too much but I do know it’s a manual si, so if you guys can give me any information what so ever it would be greatly appreciated. I do believe there’s a fuel problem but I’m not too sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It can be pretty difficult to find some parts. Mostly with finding trims or door panels. Cosmetic stuff like that is mostly gone from what I can tell. But you can still find maintenance items like brake pads, brake lines, filters, headlights motors, window motors, fuel pumps etc. pick N pulls will help a ton and I’d plan on buying the service manual. This forums not too populated but sometimes you can still find help for specific issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It can be pretty difficult to find some parts. Mostly with finding trims or door panels. Cosmetic stuff like that is mostly gone from what I can tell. But you can still find maintenance items like brake pads, brake lines, filters, headlights motors, window motors, fuel pumps etc. pick N pulls will help a ton and I’d plan on buying the service manual. This forums not too populated but sometimes you can still find help for specific issues.
When you say service manual does that come with the car when it’s brand new? Like part of the owners manual?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don’t believe the service manual comes with the car. It looks like the picture provided. There’s another book that goes with it. It’s for electrical trouble shooting.
As for what engine. It depends on the year. I l believe some 2nd gens came with the B20 because everyone assumes my lude has it but mine is the A20. Look up the vin number and it should tell you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was offered a 2nd gen si, it’s in poor condition as far as I could tell but none the less a free car with hundreds of dollars in parts for free as well. I want to know how hard it is exactly to find parts for it as I see a lot of project cars started and rarely finished I’m worried. I’m waiting to get more information on the car I don’t know too much but I do know it’s a manual si, so if you guys can give me any information what so ever it would be greatly appreciated. I do believe there’s a fuel problem but I’m not too sure.
Mostly you will find that as EvelKnievel says, general maintenance parts will be available....mostly. Cosmetic and other parts will be difficult to come by, since most of the salvage yards have either been picked clean years ago, or junkers have been crushed and recycled (some sort of legislation passed about 8 years ago requiring recycling of metals, IIRC). Anyway, things like engine mounts, intake hoses, and such-like parts that are vintage specific will be difficult, if not impossible, to find. The two workshop manuals are occasionally available on the auction sites for a price and are a good source for repair trouble-shooting - as EvelKnievel says, one is for general maintenance (mechanical) and the other is mainly Electrical; all have good pictures to guide you, so they are worth the cost if you intend to do most of the work yourself.

Good Luck

·
Registered
65 Posts
By the way, if you do pick it up, the fuel system in the gen 2 2.0 Si is fairly simple, and any issues appear to be related to the smog controls (almost impossible to find parts for this box!); if your fuel pump (again, original is not generally available) is functioning properly and the injectors are all good, you would want to check your filter (bolted to the firewall). Check that all vacuum hoses are good and not cracked, and/or leaking.

Good Luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don’t believe the service manual comes with the car. It looks like the picture provided. There’s another book that goes with it. It’s for electrical trouble shooting.
As for what engine. It depends on the year. I l believe some 2nd gens came with the B20 because everyone assumes my lude has it but mine is the A20. Look up the vin number and it should tell you.
View attachment 28650
I do believe I have something similar if not the exact thing you speak of. Idk dude broke out two books that include the maintenance and stuff. I did find out it is the fuel pump that went bad...about ten years ago and he’s got a replacement for it! There’s not a bit of rust on the frame so imma commit to it. I just made another post about a few extra parts I have for the car, since you were nice enough to inform me on my question you get first pick if you would like to buy any of the extra parts. I plan on gutting the car as well so I might have an extra seat to put on that list as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way, if you do pick it up, the fuel system in the gen 2 2.0 Si is fairly simple, and any issues appear to be related to the smog controls (almost impossible to find parts for this box!); if your fuel pump (again, original is not generally available) is functioning properly and the injectors are all good, you would want to check your filter (bolted to the firewall). Check that all vacuum hoses are good and not cracked, and/or leaking.

Good Luck
I was informed it’s the fuel pump and it went bad about 10 years ago. I think imma take the car and see what I can do. I love the body style too much to let it go. If you or @EvelKnievel know where I could get coil overs and a roll cage tho pleaseeeeeee drop some links below. If you are looking for any parts I posted a list you will have 2nd pick on them if you see anything you need since you were also nice enough to reply to my question. I will be updating the list with pictures in a week or so that’s just what I remember seeing in the car, dude said he’s got even more parts laying around.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I do believe I have something similar if not the exact thing you speak of. Idk dude broke out two books that include the maintenance and stuff. I did find out it is the fuel pump that went bad...about ten years ago and he’s got a replacement for it! There’s not a bit of rust on the frame so imma commit to it. I just made another post about a few extra parts I have for the car, since you were nice enough to inform me on my question you get first pick if you would like to buy any of the extra parts. I plan on gutting the car as well so I might have an extra seat to put on that list as well.
Sounds like you found a good project and I am always happy to help. And I appreciate your offer but I’m good on parts. Been pretty lucky. I imagine there’s a lot of people that need parts though. But best of luck and I do check the site often to see if there’s any questions I can help with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts