Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
iamNOTerator
5,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Garmin nuvi 650 for xmas and as you probably know it uses the cigarette lighter for power. The problem is that I already use the cigarette lighter for my Sirius satellite radio. So I guess I could go to some auto store and buy a cheap splitter but I don't want a lot of wires and crap all over my car. I've heard about splicing power from the cigarette lighter without having to use the plug. Can anyone tell me just how to do that?

also for anyone who has a GPS, whats a good place to mount it besides the winshield? I was thinking about having it sit right underneath my Sirius player but then it would get too crowded.....any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
Kinda like the windshield... Doesn't take up too much space. Plus your console is a wee bit cluttered already with sirius.

Heres what I did, pop out your head unit and tap the accessory wire. That way you won't kill your battery. Come to think of it, our cars run the cigarette lighter off the accessory. I'd rather splice into a $6 scorche harness than an actual honda part though.

Since you've got one of those 5th gen things, while your head unit is out (and the plastic trim around it) pop out the top vents for the AC, it's absolute cake to run a wire from behind the head unit to behind the vent. This is how I installed my radar detector. Hid all the wires almost perfectly. (obviously you can still see a 1 1/2" piece coming up)

Crappy cell phone picture in the dark:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts