Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed last night that the car is starting to leak some oil onto the garage. Ijacked it up and got under there and it looks like there is some seapage near the rear main seal, the oil pan., AND somewhere up top near the cam seal it looks like. My question is this. It maybe leaks out a teaspoon or so overnight. should I just kep on top of the oil level until i do the 5 speed swap in a few months or just say screw it and change all that stuff now.

Car has 111K on it so i figure its time to change out the water pump and timing belt anyway.

Just need to know if i should tackle these leaks now.

Thanks

·
Registered
518 Posts
if the swap is coming during the next month, then wait. (if you're not driving it for some several hundreds of miles a day).
the cam seals aren't a problem to replace now, but maybe it's better for the rest to wait and then do it all together. and i mean ALL.
don't replace just a few seals, change the oil and sparkplugs during the tranny swap then cry again that you should have done it all when half the engine was out and laying in pieces on the table (like i did:icon_frown:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would be the common place for oil to leak out of in the front of the motor (driver side)??

Crank seal?
Balance Shaft Seal?

I hate having an oil leak and if i can take care of them all, except for the rear main, NOW, i rather do it. So can the fonr seals be done with the engine still in is my question

We probable put like 400 miles a week on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah that thing is good to go. unless its leaking on the cam gear side where i cant see it.... lol I'll be ordering a timing belt, cam seal, crank seal, int. shaft seal, and the rear oil pan seal this weekend and probably just do that stuff next weekend and wait until the tranny swap for the rear main.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tensioner for the timing belt? probably is. I'll be changing the tensioners in there as well. Just ordered everything today 191 total for the two belts, two tensioners and all the seals

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a leak from what I thought was the rear main, it turned out to be a dry rotted o-ring in the oil cooler line.
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Where did you buy all the parts becasue im leaking from there and i have to buy all the same parts too
Quite literally go to your honda dealership and say "I need a rear main seal for a (insert year) Prelude" It *shouldnt* be more than $20. You'll have to drain the oil so might as well do an oil change while your at it. The rest is just labor.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Quite literally go to your honda dealership and say "I need a rear main seal for a (insert year) Prelude" It *shouldnt* be more than $20. You'll have to drain the oil so might as well do an oil change while your at it. The rest is just labor.
Does the Auto Tension er have a seal? Cause if so, that might be what's leaking on mine. I've changed every thing else.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
partsgeek.com

like someone else said.... it's STUPID cheap!

Is it a good idea to put the stock style auto tensioner back in or switch to a manual tensioner???

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
No its not a good idea to put the auto tensioner back as it is prone to fail even if it is "Brand New". Go to jludes How to: Manual Tensioner swap thread. It will tell u all the seals that should be replaced during the timing belt job. Rear Main seal is prone to leak. U might be leaking from a certain spot on the valve cover gasket. Cam seals can leak. Have u change your vtec solenoid gasket? There's so many gaskets that you have to keep up with. Balance shaft gasket, ect. Oil cooler o-ring is another main gasket that likes to leak. Make sure to use RTV on all the seals. Can be had at auto parts store. If you don't then you'll wonder why that brand new seal just randomly started leaking a thousand+ miles after you just changed it. Oh and I used the RED RTV tube. Black works well also.Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got my RTV already. I learned that lesson with my old car LOL. But i do have everything except the vtec solenoid gasket.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts