Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'm not on the forums much, but you guys probably remember me about all my auto tranny problems from 3 years ago, until now and then that rear end accident I got into few months ago. Well I stuck with the lude ( I just can't give it up, it's too sexy lol)

Anyhow, when my tranny went for the 3rd time in 3 years and my warranty was up. Russel (RC114) PM'd me telling me Bustr ( he's on here but he's mainly on pz.com) rus told me he just done his prelude and Psychochimp's.

I checked a local junkyard by me and I was lucky enough to find that they had a 2000 prelude that was rear ended with pretty much everything intact ( except motor and tranny). grabbed all the parts except transmission/starter for 75 bucks.

Talked to Bustr, I was supposed to bring it in Friday night and it would of been done by Sunday. but some of my parts didn't get shipped in time, so I had some delays.

After I dropped it off, few days later.. My lude has transformed from a girl scout to Chuck Norris.

eh some random pictures..

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
He makes your auto half shaft work with the manual tranny with some modifications and welding the bracket
He also did my timing belt and did the auto to manual tensioner change also and water pump/seals etc. Since he pulls the entire motor out, might as well as this is the best time to do all this! I was at 10 years/ 115k miles on the belt lol.

I ended up using a tranny from a 98 base "m2y4" and bought a remanufactured starter off of ebay. All in all, Bustr is pretty damn awesome lol, he stands by his work. I had an oil leak, so he popped open the valve cover... again and had to reseal and clean up everything...closed it back up, to find it was still leaking, it was my fault.. it was leaking out of the new cam seals I bought, so he had to reopen and clean up and change the seal and then silicone everything up again, as a big tip PLEASE STICK WITH OEM SEALS/gaskets. It's better for you and for Bustr lol.. he had to pop it open again and he used an OEM Cam seal and everything was a-okay.

for the clutch i used an
Exedy OEM replacement,
10lbs Flywheel "XTD" brand off ebay, the 2 together was like 220 shipped, comes with new throw out bearings and alignment tool.

just to let everyone know, It is the most embarrassing thing to stall out at a green light and have the guy behind you honk at you lol. I'll become pro soon. I hope.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Bustr checking in the Patient before the surgical procedure..

mid operation

finished!

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats on that man, I definitely need to get my swap done before I get my baby back on the road
your tranny died too? After all the crap I went through with my tranny, even after babying it and buying a transmission cooler and it still dies on me repeatedly, all the stress and money I had to spend..I don't wish it on my enemy =/ except, maybe Honda CEO's.

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
Just got mine back from the swap as well... holy fuck what a difference.

See ya at the next tri state meet?

·
Sky's out, thighs out
7,826 Posts
wish I had the money to pay to have this done but I don't so I will man up and do it the first week of summer. Congrats

·
Bearderator
8,521 Posts
Just got mine back from the swap as well... holy fuck what a difference.

See ya at the next tri state meet?
Damn, H22LudeSH wants me to go to the tri-state. If I do, we could have our own little 5 spd swap'd ludes section :D

Congratz cotulkn, glad you got it done. Took me about 6 failures in one year to get mine done free of charge haha

·
_
2,494 Posts
congratulations!

it is a little embarrassing having someone let everyone around you know that you stalled out by honking. however, this can be prevented by putting it in FIRST when leaving from a stopped position. :)

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
hey psud3ity, ya ill be there for the tri state meet! i remember ya from last year lol. and nah i got the 5spd cluster for 30 bucks off that prelude from the yard also, wasn't neccesary, but eh might as well lol.

Fallacy, wish mine was free lucky bastard. no shops around here will do it...and if i did it on my own it woulda saved me lots of $$ , but there was just no way no how.. cutting/welding/rusted bolts/tools/skills/ etc.. oh btw that auto tranny weighs like over 9000 lbs lmao.

oh Nordicbbsex, you should do it before your auto dies, that way you don't have to pay for towing in some random spot and you can also sell your auto tranny too! make some money back!

I'm not sure if I'm regretting the lightweight flywheel or not, it sucks that i gotta rev it that high to get a smooth start and how fast the rpm's drop when you shift, kinda sucks. Sort of gotta give it a bit of gas before the next gear if you want it to be smooth, since im one of those slow/lazy shifters when cruising? or i'm just really still bad at stick idk lol. i dont remember a stock 5spd lude being like this

5spd club!woohoo yea that 3rd pedal.. gives me a good self feeling lol just NOT during awkward starts.

·
Registered
166 Posts
the last of my parts are still being shipped but i should get them all in and start my swap next weekend doing it all myself hopefully all goes well. congrats man.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts