Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all..new here..i have a 92 lude with an h23 in it..heres the problem..recently i replaced the rod bearings and the car has been fine..on the other hand even before i changedd them my car has been hard as hell to start in the mournings when its cold..so i changed the temp sensor and nothing..now there are two plugs that are the same..so i switched them and the car started right up on the first try..now i went down the road about maybe 10 minutes or so and it started to loose power and began to back fire if i keep my foot on the gas..put the clutch in and it rev's fine then back into gear and losing power and more back fire...so i pull off the road and switch the plugs back over and it starts back up and now its knocking???? so i make it home and i see that a plug wire is broke..so i get new wires..knock seems to have went away..so i go down the road and it stats knocking even louder than before and more consistant.....what the hell is going on with this car..any ideas would be great...

·
Registered
219 Posts
more info would help

when did you change the bearings ?
did you take the motor out to do it ?
what are the plugs your talking about ( pict might help )
take off the oil filter and drain the oil and see if there are and metal in it
hows your timming ?
do you have any codes ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
bearings changed out less than 1500 miles ago...spark plug wire broke were wire goes the the piece that connect to the plug itself..no metal in filter or pan..metal was in pan when bearings were changed..not now...timing is fine.. like i said above it happened when i changed those two plugs around..when i started it the car sounded smooth no knock or tick...then up the road it starts to loose power and backfires..i switched them plugs back to were they were and then started the car and it started up and was knocking..the day before i switched those plugs around and and then switched them back and everything was fine then....this time its kocking and as for codes check engine light has been on ever since i have owned the car even when it had an f22 in it...

·
Registered
786 Posts
possible fouled plug. no spark to plug means that cylinder was flooded with fuel. previous problem led to new problem. id replace all 4 plugs with some new NGK's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
plugs are only 3 days old when this happened and i pulled them and they were fine....the car sounds like a rod i bout to come through the block..can a bad plug make it sound like it is bout to blow???? i know what it sounds when they go bad, you know it will have a miss...this sounds like a hammer on a steel grate

·
Registered
175 Posts
Might be a rod knock then :(

·
Registered
786 Posts
what CEL are you getting??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes i kinda already knew it was a rod that was knocking...........trying to figure out why it happened like it did...like what caused it out of nowhere....as for the cell????? no idea..it could be a hundred things..i am missing things for the egr vaccum and god knows what else..

·
Registered
786 Posts
retrieve codes, and tell us what you have!! you may have an underlying problem that needs addressed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts