Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 92 ford taurus SHO with a 3.0 dohc24v yamaha manufactured v6 with a 5 speed. well the car has to many problems to save and its going to throw a rod bearing any time now. I deliver pizza part time and i am looking for something more reliable.

Thru someone that my brother does construction with I found a 1989 Honda Prelude S with 107000 miles the car has been sitting for 6months to a year ( ill find out exactly when i go look at it tommorow) its sitting because it needs a water pump replaced. (he never replaced it because he dont need the car and he has a few other honda sitting around that he sold also. the tires are supposed to be in decent shape along with the brakes. it has a clutch with less then 100 miles on it.

im going to make sure the waterpump is just leaking and it didnt sieze and snap the timing belt. also i think it will be a good idea if i run a compression test to make sure that the head gasket didnt let go if it overheated. Any known problems with this cars of specific things i should check out? He will sell me the car for $450

I spoke to someone that will do the timing belt and waterpump change for 275 including parts anything else that would need to be changed with that?

does this car handle tough city driving reliably?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
The 89 S is a reliable car if well kept. It is SOHC with dual carbs. Even if the timing belt did snap, it is unlikely it caused any damage to the valves or pistons. The B20a3 is a non-interference engine.

If the clutch only has 100 miles on it, it is not completely broken in. Usually, they take 500 mile break-in periods of smooth operation.

$450 is a really good buy unless it is rusted out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thats good news i was unaware that it was a non-interference engine. Last time I saw the car it was september and I wasnt really looking for rust but i cant remember seeing any not even behind the rear wheel wells where I see that honda like to rot at. I didnt get a look at the underbody though. I guess I will find out when I go look at it in the next few days....hopefully tommorow

. how about known trouble spots on these cars or engines? (im new to the whole honda scene) It seems that some people have problems with the carb adjustments. i cant find nearly as much info on this motor as the B20A5. Thanks for the help

Is there any specific maintenence that needs done to these motors besides the normal timing belt,spark plugs,wires,filters

·
blubyu
390 Posts
Not really big known problems with a carb engine worst case scenario y migh half to rebuild or buy a new carb. Since it's been sitting so long i would completely change out the gas. Check all hoses and lines. Make sure all the plugs wire etc are good other then that use the search on this site that should help you out. Keep us posted

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Yup, the carbs are going to be fun to mess with if it's sitting for a long time. Don't forget to change out both fuel filters. On the S model, they have 2 filters. 1 under the hood on the driver's side and 1 behind the driver's side rear tire.

Good luck with your new find.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
It is not good to let the carbs sit for a long time. I don't think 6 months is long enough for concern. Maybe needs fresh gas and fuel filters.

When you get it, just spray the carb assembly with Gumout carb and choke cleaner. You need to spray all the springs, levers, joints, and stuff that moves on the carbs. Use an entire can with the red tip and gently move stuff around a bit. You will probably never have to adjust anything on the carbs if you keep it clean.

Some people spray carb cleaner into the carbs while it's running. I don't recommend this unless the spray is safe for use on sensors.

Service: Plugs, cap, rotor, wires, primary fuel filter, secondary fuel filter, air filter, sometimes thermostat (195*F Stant, 195*F Honda, 192*F Napa ONLY), coolant, oil + filter, trans fluid, carb cleaner, timing belt, maybe something else. We have a FREE online service manual that details this stuff more. It's a great resource and is better than Haynes/Chilton's.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just talked to the guy the clutch is brand new they had it installed then found out that the waterpump is leaking and it has been sitting for the past 8 months. so I should be good to go after the waterpump gets replaced. ill update you guys once I go there tommorow. thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Since the timing belt has to be removed to do the water pump. I would reccomend replacing the belt and front crank seal while you are at it.

Good luck with the "new" ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts