Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it entirely necessary for me to get one of these? im only running 7 psi. i was just going to use the 3 check valve thing that tricks the map sensor from reading boost.

and what exactly is the significance of a 3 bar MAP sensor on a turbo application neway?

·
Registered
435 Posts
uhh... the stock map sensor is a 1.75 bar map sensor. that will read fine up to 10psi or so before it saturates.

and you shouldn't be using a check valve on the map sensor line... use CROME or Hondata or MS... you only need a check valve if you are sticking with your stock ECU and going the AFC, FMU route. that route = bad idea.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oooooooo ok i didnt even know that. cool thanks man i thought that if the MAP saw any boost what so ever then it would throw a code.

i learn shit everyday on this site.

by the way, i know youve been working on a turbo set up for a while are you boosted yet?

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
the stock sensor WILL throw a code.. if it sees boost on a STOCK ECU. Running a Standalone with Boost options added.. no codes will be thrown, and you can safely boost/read MAX 10 lbs on teh Stock MAP sensor.

only run the Check Valves if you plan on Sticking with the Stock ECU.

·
Registered
317 Posts
well on your sig it says your gonna get a different computer and put crome on it so your not going to need the check valve. If your only going to run 7 psi you could use the stock sensor but just to be on the safe side and incase you ever wanna turn it up a little go ahead and get the 3 bar. If your spending all this money on your turbo system you might as well get it wont do any harm and could help you down the road.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
No... dont just get e 3bar to have one... get one that reads within the limit you are wanting to boost - You will have better resolution on it when you begin to tune.

·
Registered
317 Posts
he said he's looking at a gm one which one that i've seen alot of people run succesfully, hence why i said to go ahead and get it.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
i know why you said it..

but....

lets say you dont plan on boosting more than 15 lbs EVER... why would you get a 3 bar? you would be better off getting a 2 bar to which will give you far greater resolution in the boost columns when you are ready to tune...

dont just get a 3bar to get one... get something that will give you greater clarity on your setup and your tune.

G

·
for your setup and an ems you wont need a new map sensor. stay with the one you have unless you go above 11psi.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so next summer when i do my internals and bump her up to say 10-12 psi i should be looking into getting the gm 3 bar map sensor?

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
how much boost do you plan on running MAX throught the lifetime of the setup?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
i have a GM 3bar for sale...

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
i would get a 2.5 bar

you;d be good up to 21 lbs with it..
and it will give you good resolution for tuning at 15 lbs.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I'm running a GM 2 bar of an 81 Turbo T/A....works fine. I beleive the 2.5 Bar sensor is on the Chrysler Turbo's...someone correct me if I'm wrong. Chrysler Maps are a two piece design.., ugly and take up more space.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts