Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone's glove box light still working? I can't figure out why mine isn't working. I have replaced the festoon in there but still no luck, all my other lights in the car work fine (WTF)? Checked the wires and they aren't kinked or broken either.

:eh:

·
Registered
281 Posts
lol, are you that worried about it? Your car is from the late 80's, early 90's and you're worried about the glove box light?

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
lol, are you that worried about it? Your car is from the late 80's, early 90's and you're worried about the glove box light?
Apparently he is worried enough about it to ask. Why not fix it if it doesn't work? It bothers me when something on my car doesn't work, so I can see where he is coming from.

·
Registered
281 Posts
True. What fuse circuit is that light tied into on these cars? Have you checked the clip the back of the light's housing? Those things can corrode or loosen up over time.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently he is worried enough about it to ask. Why not fix it if it doesn't work? It bothers me when something on my car doesn't work, so I can see where he is coming from.
Exactly, that is why I'm asking. I hate it when not everything is working properly. Especially, when I have a lot of stuff in there that I can't see in the dark.

All my other lights work well, I can't believe this one light would have it's own fuse.

Luzer, don't you have an ETM? The service manual doesn't have enough info on this.

BTW: I wish the ETM was online, they are hard to come by.

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
theres a light in our glove boxes? wow i learn a new thing every day

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Did you check the bulb?

·
Registered
9,584 Posts

·
master bater
1,682 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Uh... Festoon? What are you talking about, lol?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...:festoon&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

The glove box light comes on only if the parking/headlights are switched on. Check the fuses and the light bulb.

You got a dang, uh, thinger to read the voltage from the light bulb socket?
Hope you're being facetious :hmmmm:. If not, a festoon bulb is:

New bulb. And yes, I used a ("thinger"=multimeter) to check the continuity.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
when you used the meter, did you get voltage and continuity across the switch while moving the switch? if so, then you may have gotten a dud for a bulb. not trying to be smart, just sometimes the simplest answer is right in front of you. also not sure if anyone answered you about the source of those wires, but they are on the park light circuit.

·
Registered
289 Posts
An obvious check . . . does the switch still seem to be working? There should be a plunger type switch that would freely move in and out. You should be able to tap it with your finger. Maybe its jammed in? ** Make sure your headlights are on.

FYI, my glove box , coin box , ignition , and the driver door key hole lights in my car all still work.

:headbang:

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Hope you're being facetious :hmmmm:. If not, a festoon bulb is:

New bulb. And yes, I used a ("thinger"=multimeter) to check the continuity.
Like mentioned, it's possible to have a bad bulb. Those stupid bulb filaments like to break inside. Look at them wrong and they bust. Some light bulbs require you to wear nitril gloves to install. The natural grease from your finger tips is enough to cause uneven surface heat expansion. Hence, glass explodes or filament overheats.

The bulb you have, is it for the correct voltage? That light socket may use something less than 12v, thus a 12v bulb might not work.

Haha about the festoon thing. I've never once heard that term before so I looked it up. Definition says it's a decorative, dangly thing; curtain decoration. So I was like wtf is he talking about.
:dozingoff: :stupid: :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
Luzer, don't you have an ETM? The service manual doesn't have enough info on this.

BTW: I wish the ETM was online, they are hard to come by.
Sorry zippy, I don't have an ETM. But I believe guessman does. I missed out on the ETM that was on ebay recently.

Some light bulbs require you to wear nitril gloves to install. The natural grease from your finger tips is enough to cause uneven surface heat expansion. Hence, glass explodes or filament overheats.
That would be true for halogen bulbs. You don't want to get any contamination on them or they will suffer an early death.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I have an ETM and told guessman to buy one during his extinsive quest to document the 3rd gne. What do you want to know? A simple multimeter will tell you if your switch is working correctly. If nothing else a simple continuity test will tell you if the bulb is good.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got it, thanks. Found out one of the wires was kinked (torn) running up behind my stereo, probably happened when I reinstalled the dashboard.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
cool its fixed! yeah my glovebox is currently removed so if my headlights are on that light is always on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts