Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to buy some Ground Control coilovers soon and I need help deciding what spring rates I should go with. I currently have Tein S-Techs with Tokico Illuminas. The reasons I want to get GCs is because 1) my subs are making the rear end sag, and 2) I want less body roll (there was hardly a difference for me between stock and the S-Techs).

Right now I am thinking to go with 380f/380r. Does this seem like a good set up for me? This is for my 98 base dd btw.

Yes, I did search and research a ton, but I wanted to hear your advice directly. Thanks!

Here are some spring rates for reference:
Stock: 150-200f, 120-150r
S-Tech: 240f/207r
Standard GC: 380f/250r

·
8====D ---> ( | ) = win
1,663 Posts
i also wanna hear input on this

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
If this strictly a street application I might be inclined to keep more of a disparity between front and rear rates, in the name of conservativism and all.

That said it should ride fine and you'll definitely "feel" it.

·
iamNOTerator
5,945 Posts
so would you recommend the standard 380f/250r? or, something less if they offer it? I'm saving up for a set of these coilovers for this summer and I don't want something thats going to make it hurt every time I hit a bump

to the OP, what springs are you going with?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I had stock GC spring rate on my first lude. (with KYB AGX)

IMO, it was a tad soft even when them AGX's were on the stiffest.
When I order a set for my current lude I am going to go at least 450f/400r (maybe with Koni's)

(...but, then again. I like a stiff ride ready for corners)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If this strictly a street application I might be inclined to keep more of a disparity between front and rear rates, in the name of conservativism and all.

That said it should ride fine and you'll definitely "feel" it.
Well part of the reason I want GCs is because the weight of subs and amps (and occasional cargo or rear seat passengers) causes the rear to sag. I'm thinking the stiffer than standard rear spring rate will counterbalance this...?

This is definitely a street application, but I have always wanted to hit the track someday. If I ever do, I will remove the subs and amps for that.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
With GCs you can raise and lower them however you want to get the car level, so I wouldn't worry about sag relating to spring rates.

I don't want to make any definitive claims about spring rates though...people have different tastes. I know people that daily drive on 7kF/8kR and they like it. I think it would drive me insane :p

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I'd do 400/400, then if you end up hating the ride you buy softer springs for the rear end later. That's the beauty of Ground Controls, you can have different springs for different conditions. You don't even need to get the car aligned after changing springs out, all you have to do is find a ride height that works, record the height on each corner, and match that height after you install the new springs.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With GCs you can raise and lower them however you want to get the car level, so I wouldn't worry about sag relating to spring rates.

I don't want to make any definitive claims about spring rates though...people have different tastes. I know people that daily drive on 7kF/8kR and they like it. I think it would drive me insane :p
I know GCs are adjustable (I'm not stupid...:rolleyes2: ), that's one of the reasons I'm getting them. And the sag should relate to spring rates because if my current springs had a higher spring rate, they would not sag so much due to the weight of subs/amps.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Now, correct me if I'm wildly off base, but I took your "sag" comment as something like "The rear of the car sits too low because of the weight of the subs in the back".

·
Banned
4,812 Posts
im riding 400F/450R on kyb agx's and i like it. it can be painful over bumps now and then on rough rough roads...but just go a bit slower and more cautious and youll love it

·
Registered
43 Posts
So I'm going to buy some Ground Control coilovers soon and I need help deciding what spring rates I should go with. I currently have Tein S-Techs with Tokico Illuminas. The reasons I want to get GCs is because 1) my subs are making the rear end sag, and 2) I want less body roll (there was hardly a difference for me between stock and the S-Techs).

Right now I am thinking to go with 380f/380r. Does this seem like a good set up for me? This is for my 98 base dd btw.

Yes, I did search and research a ton, but I wanted to hear your advice directly. Thanks!

Here are some spring rates for reference:
Stock: 150-200f, 120-150r
S-Tech: 240f/207r
Standard GC: 380f/250r

sry for my ignorance but, what are you refering when you mention this numbers?¿

200 Front / 150 Rear: what? the height in milimeters?... the shocks Hardness?

thx

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sry for my ignorance but, what are you refering when you mention this numbers?¿

200 Front / 150 Rear: what? the height in milimeters?... the shocks Hardness?

thx
sorry, that was a technical mistake. the unit is pounds per inch or lb/in. (the metric unit is kg/mm)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I was thinking about getting a new set for mine, i have standard GC and they are too soft, especially in the back, I was thinking something like 425f/430r

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
im riding 400F/450R on kyb agx's and i like it. it can be painful over bumps now and then on rough rough roads...but just go a bit slower and more cautious and youll love it
cool thanks for the input. i'm pretty cautious already so i'm sure it will be an easy adjustment haha. did your spring rates help a lot with body roll? also, do you take it to the track or is it just your DD?

so as of now i'm still set on getting 380f/380r. the ride might be a little hard, but i don't think it will be too bad because i'm willing to make the sacrifice (i just hope the gf won't mind lol...).

is there anything else i need to know about using ground controls with tokico illuminas?

·
8====D ---> ( | ) = win
1,663 Posts
is there anything else i need to know about using ground controls with tokico illuminas?
not really, I had them on my old car[5th gen accord] and it rode really nice. Felt really tight [as in suspension rebounding] and stiff, but it was awesome.

that car had off the shelf spring rates for that vehicle and a the shocks adjusted a bit tighter on the rear.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
does anybody know where the best/cheapest place is to order custom rate GCs?

also, does anybody know if the ground control website price of $339 includes shipping?

·
Banned
4,812 Posts
Yeah. The set up did help with body roll a lot. I did it in my garage. Its easy. Four bolts and each assembly is in your lap...then un-do them, then put back together with the new stuff.

I paid just under 800$ for my set up. The groundcontrol website is best

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah. The set up did help with body roll a lot. I did it in my garage. Its easy. Four bolts and each assembly is in your lap...then un-do them, then put back together with the new stuff.

I paid just under 800$ for my set up. The groundcontrol website is best
thanks a lot! i'll be ordering my coilovers in the next couple of days!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts