Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
within a few weeks...i'm pickin up a 96 honda cbr600f3. the only problem with me gettin it is that i'm gonna have to wait longer b4 i can get the motor for my lude.

heres a pic of it tho..

·
HipHopHeadd
1,339 Posts
Looks cool man! Also wondering how much $.

I have always liked bikes. What bike would the riders on this board recommend for a first timer. Obviously somthing easy to learn on but still fun.

·
Registered
708 Posts
how do you drive a bike?

is it similar to a 5spd car? clutch and everything?

·
Registered
708 Posts
2qu1k4u said:
you have a clutch, but its by hand..

it's different, but you'd benefit by knowing how a manual works.

i have an SH, driving a bike shouldnt be a problem for me then?

·
HipHopHeadd
1,339 Posts
Antonious said:

Wrong. It is not like a cars clutch. But you will learn faster b/c you know how a clutch works (ie. letting the clutch out while simulteniously applying gas). I believe the clutch is the on the left side of the handle bars ( looks like a bicycle's hand brake).

* I know I spelled simultaneously. I am a math not spelling person.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
Antonious said:
that doesn't mean you won't have problems.

·
Banned
3,067 Posts
91lude4ws said:
within a few weeks...i'm pickin up a 96 honda cbr600f3. the only problem with me gettin it is that i'm gonna have to wait longer b4 i can get the motor for my lude.

heres a pic of it tho..
nice bike, needs the tail plastics and mirrors and windshield but those are minor. The second look seat though is pure sex

I have an F3, same year, mine even came in those colors but I had to go with the stupid purple/yellow fairings, when I highsided it.

Its a fine bike, undestructable, only thing is it eats voltage regulators for lunch and takes the battery as desert, I've been through 3 so far, but for a bike of that age thats a tiny price to pay compared to say Yamaha shift fork problem or suzukis oil starvation problem (the older models).

Have you ever riden before? What type of riding do you plan on?

Bikes have hand operated clutches and foot operated sequential boxes. Knowing how to work a clutch helps you get moving but it really gets much more complicated past that, steering in the counterintuative direction, brake modulation, just way to much to explain in text, best way to learn to ride is by signing up for the local MSF corse, ~100$ and you get your liscense at the end.

·
bangin' gears
15,675 Posts
you wont have a problem learning how to do it. It may take a second at first, but you will get it fast.

nice pick up.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
prylwd said:
Wrong. It is not like a cars clutch. But you will learn faster b/c you know how a clutch works (ie. letting the clutch out while simulteniously applying gas). I believe the clutch is the on the left side of the handle bars ( looks like a bicycle's hand brake).
that's exactly what i meant. i didn't say you wouldn't have problems, but it's beneficial to know how a manual/clutch works. tit's comletely different working a clutch with your left hand than your foot.. and braking with your right hand..

it just takes time, but start out on an easier, lower powered bike.

·
12,918 Posts
haha id love to own a bike one day.. i was thinking of getting a honda 125 or 250r this year (dirtbike).. but i dont have that kinda money with me. I think it'd be almost as fun and much more functional (and legal) if i got a speed bike though.

First time i rode a bike with clutch was like 3 years ago.. i was trying to rebuild this old honda cb125 n didnt know shit about how the clutch worked.. so i was trying to switch gears without the clutch :lol: great stuff.. somehow i got it and rode the damn thing around though.

·
Banned
3,067 Posts
LudaPower said:
haha id love to own a bike one day.. i was thinking of getting a honda 125 or 250r this year (dirtbike).. but i dont have that kinda money with me. I think it'd be almost as fun and much more functional (and legal) if i got a speed bike though.

First time i rode a bike with clutch was like 3 years ago.. i was trying to rebuild this old honda cb125 n didnt know shit about how the clutch worked.. so i was trying to switch gears without the clutch :lol: great stuff.. somehow i got it and rode the damn thing around though.
If you can get a 250 to start out with do it. Dual sports are the shit period.

Yeah pinning the throtle is holding on for dear life is a rush but it gets old, with a dual sport you can have just as much if not more fun as a newb than a powerfull bike thats gonna bite hard at the slightest mistake or at least scare you shitless. Sportbikes are gonna be way over the speedlimit any time your having fun.

Get a dirt bike and put street tires and 17 inch rims on it, I missed mine so much I had to get another one. If the cops are after you, just cut through a feild and laught at the cruiser stuck in the mud behind you, you can back it into turns, pull slides coming out, stoppie and wheelie with ease, great times.

·
12,918 Posts
haha yeah that's what i figured.. too bad i just dont have the cash right now. But there's not that many trails around here anyways.. mostly just farm land. The real trails are on the other side of the river but dirtbikes don't swim so.. :D

I've always wanted some type of bike anyways.. dirtbike, super bike or an atv under 400lbs.
haha only shit ive owned so far was a mini-bike and a scooter.

·
HipHopHeadd
1,339 Posts
Power2weight said:
If you can get a 250 to start out with do it. Dual sports are the shit period.

Yeah pinning the throtle is holding on for dear life is a rush but it gets old, with a dual sport you can have just as much if not more fun as a newb than a powerfull bike thats gonna bite hard at the slightest mistake or at least scare you shitless. Sportbikes are gonna be way over the speedlimit any time your having fun.

Get a dirt bike and put street tires and 17 inch rims on it, I missed mine so much I had to get another one. If the cops are after you, just cut through a feild and laught at the cruiser stuck in the mud behind you, you can back it into turns, pull slides coming out, stoppie and wheelie with ease, great times.
So you recommend a 250 for new riders (brand new riders- I have only rode a dirt bike once and it was only around my block)?

·
Banned
3,067 Posts
prylwd said:
So you recommend a 250 for new riders (brand new riders- I have only rode a dirt bike once and it was only around my block)?
Its the safe answer, but is it the best for you?

I really dont know enough about you, your mentaility or cordination to give you an accurate assesment of what you need.

You need to look at what kinda riding your gonna do, and how good you are at operating machinary.

The best way to do it is to start riding dirt, then go to a smaller standard bike then go to a 600 then 750, whatever. In reallity though few can afford 5 different bikes even if you buy and sell them for about the same price, plus your probably not breeding yourself to be the next rossi, you just wanna have fun.

Go take the MSF course, according to statistics, it will probably save your life, plus you get to learn on(mess up) there bikes. The instructor can give you good advice on what to get.

Good starter bikes for me are like SV650, ex500, Seca II, gs500, those are good standard bikes that dont cost all that much to fix when crashed. If your good you could also try a Katana or older CBR (f2,F3) or like a FZR600.

The newer 600 super sport bikes arent that good an idea because there real sharp machines, razor blade like, if you ride it right you'll be superfast, but they also snap, shake, and throw off newbs.

In the end you can crash and die on anything, just get whatever you can afford and ride safe and smart and wear that gear.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
sorry for takin so long to reply guys...been busy with work. ur gonna shit urself when u hear how much i got it for power2weight......$900. the tail fairings are in perfect shape..just werent on for the pic...same with the wind shield too. i do however have to pick up a new tank and headlight. the tank was beat w/ a cinder block by some angry dick and the front of the headlight is just busted. needs a lil bit of work but still a great pickup. i just plan on it bein a bike to cruise around on with my cuz. have u found a way to fix the volt reg problem and how much is it to fix?? i noticed ur in bethesda. not exactly sure where that is but i might be in northern calvert county in june..if i'm out there w/ my bike we should meet up n ride.

as for the guy wantin a new bike..i would say the 250 ninja is a great starter. i would also go for a 600 if u want somethin with balls. this is my first bike and i'm a small guy...5'6" 100 lbs. i'm dealin with it just fine and its my first. u just gotta be more carefull and pay alot of attention w/ the way u are drivin.

heres a pic of the tank....made me wanna cry....

could u tell me what those hoses are between the tank and fairing too power2weight

·
Banned
3,067 Posts
91lude4ws said:
sorry for takin so long to reply guys...been busy with work. ur gonna shit urself when u hear how much i got it for power2weight......$900. the tail fairings are in perfect shape..just werent on for the pic...same with the wind shield too. i do however have to pick up a new tank and headlight. the tank was beat w/ a cinder block by some angry dick and the front of the headlight is just busted. needs a lil bit of work but still a great pickup. i just plan on it bein a bike to cruise around on with my cuz. have u found a way to fix the volt reg problem and how much is it to fix?? i noticed ur in bethesda. not exactly sure where that is but i might be in northern calvert county in june..if i'm out there w/ my bike we should meet up n ride.

as for the guy wantin a new bike..i would say the 250 ninja is a great starter. i would also go for a 600 if u want somethin with balls. this is my first bike and i'm a small guy...5'6" 100 lbs. i'm dealin with it just fine and its my first. u just gotta be more carefull and pay alot of attention w/ the way u are drivin.

heres a pic of the tank....made me wanna cry....

could u tell me what those hoses are between the tank and fairing too power2weight
It looks like someone fliped the thing, you can see the matching scratches on the bar end and clutch lever, the bike was also a stuntbike, and they just went retarded. stunters dent the top of the tank so they can sit on it while doin tricks.

Take the tank off and follow that hose, its one of those pressure equalizer hoses for the ram air, either that or the bleed hose for when you overfill the tank.

Does she run fine at low speeds, if it hiccups and sputters its the ram air hose.

Concentrate on fixing the mechanical things, then ride the thing fucked up like that for a while till you learn, no point in fixing the tank and wrecking youself later.

Bethesda is 3 miles for washinton DC, hit me up if your ever in the area.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts