Honda Prelude Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a 90 SR red, now have a 91 SR Black. I am rebuilding all original...(now it is a ground up restore)...only rebuilding the motor and super pro'ing the suspension. Everything else will remain OEM...
Like what you are doing thus far..keep it up!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I had a 90 SR red, now have a 91 SR Black. I am rebuilding all original...(now it is a ground up restore)...only rebuilding the motor and super pro'ing the suspension. Everything else will remain OEM...
Like what you are doing thus far..keep it up!
Keep up the great work!!
Thanks!

Everything was being assembled together perfectly until we ran into the piston rings. The oil rings were having a hard time fitting right into the piston groove. Everytime we went to compress it and install they would pop out when we tapped them down.

I'm not sure if it's the improper tool we're using maybe there is a special H22 piston ring compressor. We've tried 4 different compressors and couldn't get the piston down past the top oil ring.

We thought it may have been an issue with the aftermarket NPR rings even though all the gap clearance was in spec. We tried to use the old oil rings just to test for fitment and we can't even get those to fit.

This is a pretty good kick in the ass, especially since I only have one more lab left. If we can't figure out something I'm going to toss everything out the window and do a full turbo build. Which I am actually leaning towards.

Did some searching around and haven't found nothing yet. I'm going to keep researching.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
check http://www.raceeng.com/c-237-engine-builder-tools.aspx

they sell wiseco tapered solid one piece ring compressors.
I just purchased one. Thanks for the website. I ordered the 87mm one because our pistons are around 86.9mm. Not sure how long fed ex shipping will take but hopefully they get here soon.

We've decided to give it one last try. I went and ordered OEM honda rings. A lot pricier then I thought for some rings but quality comes with a price.

If this doesn't work, then I will just turbo the thing. I'm not going to get new pistons for stock replacement. If I have to buy a new set then I'm going big.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
looks like summitracing.com sells them too. Yeah that previous website is where a lot of our members have bought pistons and rods in the past.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Ok, so I've gotten the tool yesterday and the rings today.

The tool made installation of the rings a lot easier. I guess this tapered closed design works extremely well.

However, I went to open up my rings, and inside was sitting only a box. So I thought oh, maybe it's packaged really tight. When I opened it up, it only included one set of rings for one piston.

OEM Honda has it listed on their website for $70 as their dealership price. So I went on a honda genuine website, hondapartsnow.com, and they had it listed for $51 with no shipping added yet.

Assuming the price is so damn high for a ring set, I thought it came with all 4 piston sets. Meaning as a set for the block. Usually you can't buy rings individual for each piston.

I definitely do not have $153+ to drop on 3 more ring sets. Coming close to the end of the semester, one more week left, I need to allocate money for gas, cable and electric bills, as well as heat, and traveling expenses to get my stuff back home.

With that being said, I then tried to install the NPR ring fitted pistons in and each time the keep getting stuck on that upper oil ring. I see whats happening though. The oil ring is way too soft and it keeps getting wedged in between the block and the piston. I even put a small 45 degree chamfer around the edge of each cylinder to ease with installation.

Eventually, I let someone else have a go at it. They ended up breaking 3 of my oil rings. Had 2 left over from the set I replaced with the OEM rings. Which means I am SOL. I contacted the parts store to confirm that the price is for 1 set and they said they will get back to me. They still haven't called me yet but I think It was a mistake on my part.

What sucks even more is that my friend Mike in the same lab as me is building his 350 small block, all his parts are aftermarket from summit. Paid $700 for EVERYTHING including cams. Doesn't come with the crank. His entire engine is going back together 30 over with no issue. Yet I keep running into issues on this 4 cylinder.

If the parts store contacts me and it was a mistake on their part, and somehow manage to get the parts to me within a couple days, I may be able to put everything back together. For now, it's going to have to sit until I can put enough money together to do a full turbo build, if I'm going to have to drop $200 on some rings, them I'm just going to do it all.

'Till my pockets get fatter see you later.

NOTE TO SELF AND EVERYONE READING:
Don't buy NPR rings. Personally, compared to the OEM Honda rings, the NPR rings are way to brittle and the quality just doesn't seem right. The original rings from the same piston feels better than the NPR rings. If I painted all the rings the same and handed them to you, you would think the NPR rings were the original worn rings, but they aren't.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Ok so updates.
I ordered a bunch of gaskets, seals, specialty hoses, 4** piston ring sets, etc from the honda website.

No big turbo setup. Will have to wait after my current lease is up and getting the car to run n/a.

I ordered a m2b4 transmission from hmotors. Costed me a grand in total. Jesus.

In the process of looking for my prelude harness to send to wireworx. I can't find that or the title and extra set of keys for the damn car. Im hoping I can find the title or im screwed. I never reggied it in my name.

Waiting on a helms manual(93 prelude), then im going to plasti gauge the rods and the crank and order a set of OEM bearings. Will be pricey but worth it.

Regarding that, I already have a set of bearings and rings, and gaskets. But, you know what? I'm tired of the cheap shit. Some things are worth being cheap others aren't. I'm going to slow down and take my time.

Now I do have a question.
I'm not sure if the helms manual will cover this.
I notice that the bearings on the honda website have letters and colors. I searched and searched and i can only find information/charts for b series engines.
I am aware that green is std size and each color/letter is a .002 or .02 difference from each other.

I can't find any of the sizes for the h22a1 and their color/letter coordination. Does someone have a chart with the sizes?

Thanks in advance for reading my b*tching

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Finalllyyy got myself a lil garage in NY. Now the action will begin.

I bet yall have never meet a undecisive a** m****f**** like me.

Here she sits.

I switched the direction I was headed in as well. Runnin down the ole big turbo path.

Cp pistons nd rods, I bought darton sleeves mid, skunk 2 pro 2 cams, Full blox valvetrain. etccc.

Soon I'll be picking up a CoP conversion kit. I figured it'd be real nice to get rid of the dizzy and go with some packs. Ahh man I can't wait.

I swear I work all day, now it's hard to find time for the lude lmaoo. I'm just gunna have to quit doing all the sidejobs.

I started taking out the suspension for a lil overhauling.

Was just going with some moogs regular bushings. I'm missing some bushings so I kinda stopped half way. I know I just spent the money on the rubbers, but now that I'm missing some it's a perfect excuse to order some poly's. Luckily I have those bookmarked.

I'm tryna get the sand blaster at my job running so I can bring the parts over there and get them nice and naked. Then give em a nice spray of Gold/Black!

But this is great, I see some other 3rd gens back to posting up here now so I figured I might pop out. :camper:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Slowly but surely, I'll upload pics later but, The entire front suspension has been redone. Thanks to the glorious information, on https://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301968 , and also https://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301622

I was able to source those parts from Amazon. Also did the Big brake upgrade front and rear. Powerstop Civic SI calipers in the rear, Nugeon 95 Prelude VTEC calipers in the front. New brake hoses, have to make lines for the front brakes to the non abs proportioning valve. Also from the master cylinder. Still gotta go in and remove all the wires and the abs computer inside the car.

The rear suspension I only touched the joints. Ill dig into the rear once I get the car running.

Still waiting on my block and head to come back from the machine shop. He said the block surface was warped a bit, he already decked it. I'm glad I got that done.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

Uploading some of the progress I've accomplished. Wish I had taken a better picture of the wheel wells. I thought I had some good ones guess not.

Bought the master from Rock Auto rebuilt. Mistake. The seal came outta the bag hard as hell, and after bleeding the master, then installing, then putting on the brakes, I still got a semi soft pedal. You can also hear the master gushing with brake fluid inside of it. Got a new one from work just waiting to install.

The parking brakes in the back with the stock upgrade to the Civic si calipers had 1 issue. Not much of a deal breaker but one to know.

Must use Stock Prelude bracket. Cable is stock as well. Also, only one bolt lines up. If you're up to it you can elongate the bolt hole to fit two bolts. I put some blue loctite and tightened it down firmly. After I bled the brakes I tested the parking brake. Prying the hubs the wheel never turned. Also tried yanking on it crazy and it never budged..

The front brakes, with the 96 Prelude vtec calipers, I spaced it out using a washer +loc washer combo with the factory bolt.

Nothing crazy, home depot special grade 10 stuff.

Also got my engine back :smile2:

I'm just that much closer now, it feels good. To get this running, I still need axles, tires, fuel pump, injectors, sensors, clutch(going with a twin disc), Rods. I currently have Skunk2 Alpha rods, which are "supposedly" supposed to be good up to 1000hp. I got em for a deal at a local store that was going out of business, closed box $200. I've been researching the claims since it's an I beam design which is inferior to the H. I can't find anything anywhere except people bashing it that never ran it.

Everything has been slow I feel like, and every step with this car has been financially stressful. However, I've learned a lot from this build, especially money management. Things are warming up so that means more money in my pocket.

I picked up an eg sedan for $200. I've planning on throwing a turbo kit on it just for fun to help get me more excited to finish the lude. A lil vitara build. The prelude might see the street N/A before fall's Hday if everything goes correctly. The turbo stuff won't make it in time.

Thanks for reading~

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you want to stay excited about finishing the Prelude, and your budget's tight, focus your budget on that car's progress instead of building two cars at once. I feel like I fell into that trap with my RSX; it was just supposed to be a reliable daily while I built my H22, but I've since upgraded the entire suspension and a few other things simply because that's the car that's actually driving. So for years now I've just been picking away at the H pretty slowly. I've been closing in on finishing it, though, which has finally motivated me to stop putting mod-money into the RSX. It sounds like you're only two or three grand away from wrapping up this H. I'd just knock it out. Your decision, though. Whichever way you go, good luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
If you want to stay excited about finishing the Prelude, and your budget's tight, focus your budget on that car's progress instead of building two cars at once. I feel like I fell into that trap with my RSX; it was just supposed to be a reliable daily while I built my H22, but I've since upgraded the entire suspension and a few other things simply because that's the car that's actually driving. So for years now I've just been picking away at the H pretty slowly. I've been closing in on finishing it, though, which has finally motivated me to stop putting mod-money into the RSX. It sounds like you're only two or three grand away from wrapping up this H. I'd just knock it out. Your decision, though. Whichever way you go, good luck.
You're absolutely right.

Well for just under $1500 I have the civic turbo'd. I did a lot of shopping through Facebook and part outs. I didn't really post anything here as this is more Prelude forum, but you are definitely right, focus on one thing at a time.

I stayed on the civic simply because I can go anywhere and find parts for it whether it be used/new, it's cheaper, and I don't care too much about it being showroom condition. The Prelude however is a completely different story. That's how I made my decision.

Now I can do what you're doin and daily the Civ and go back to piecing together the prelude. And the plus side of doing it this way is some of the parts can work for both platforms; also the civic would essentially be my lil Guinea pig.

Thanks for stoppin by!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts