Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading about the fragility of the Prelude automatic transmissions and I'm almost afraid to twist the key on my "99 with 159K miles'
Does anyone know what, if any, activity is most likely to cause problems? Obviously, things like power braking or neutral drops are begging for trouble but how about full throttle-hi- rev up-shifts or down-shifts? How about jumping on it while cold? Using the SS? Long up hill pulls in hot weather? Stop & go with long periods of idling in gear? Any Ideas?
TommyT

·
Registered
1999 Prelude. F20B/K20A hybrid rebuild
167 Posts
Before i manual swapped, i experienced my Auto go from a good solid-shifting unit, to years later start slipping, and then eventually finally go out and fail. I even drove like a careful grandma (most of the time) because i also knew of the fragility.
But things that will wear it out quicker or cause damage is definitely:
1. Full throttle shifting.
2. using the SS to downshift and full throttle upshift
3. Just about anything other than putting it in drive and driving normally... LOL
• If yours is still shifting good i would definitely just drive it normally and keep the car rolling on the road. (knowing how fragile the trans is)
I KNOW you want to hit some Vtec time to time so go ahead and have some fun but try not to make back-to-back-to-back-to-back passes.
• If you intend on racing anyone, i just wouldn’t. The automatic makes this car several SECONDS slower than the same Prelude as 5 speed. In comparison, a single cam 110Hp civic that’s 5 speed might give you a head-to-head race with your Auto. While the same 5 speed Prelude would leave that Civic bus-lengths behind in the dust. The Automatic gears are just so lonnnnnnng. (Almost impossible to hit Vtec in 4th gear unless you have a mile-long straightaway)
•Also if it’s still shifting good, i would Definitely recommend a aftermarket transmission-cooler. It’s a common mod that can at least help prolong the life of the trans. And install it while Still using the stock one (essentially having 2 coolers). When i installed mine on my Auto it made a HUGE difference.. BUT mine was already on it’s way out, i could only tell the difference because my auto was already on it’s last leg but the aftermarket trans cooler helped it stay alive a little bit longer.
• ALL IN ALL... just DON’T beat on it. I know this reply was long but i’ve been in your shoes. I did the dumb thing and kept racing it and of course my Auto went out. It forced me to Manual Swap which was awesome, but i know not everyone has the means to do that conversion.
•So basically, DON’T treat it like a race car, put it in Drive (D4) and just keep it cruising and no hard shifting or downshifting if you want the Automatic to stay alive. (Go ahead and hit Vtec and have fun but in moderation). And again, research installing a transmission cooler and that will also help prolong the life. •Like i said, if yours is shifting good take that as a blessing and take care of it and keep the car rolling. IF you ever take it into consideration, a 5 speed swap is a awesome experience and it’s almost like having a new car.
Anyways, enjoy the Prelude man!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts