Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you guys use a gasket here?
i was wondering where i was loosing boost from so i checked all the IC piping, then saw a hole developed in the gasket, which is metal btw, loosing my boots :cry:

is this gasket necessary??

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
Uhh yea... Definitely put one in between the turbo and the manifold. On my old Greddy setup I didnt put a gasket there and over time the screws would slowly back out. Your probably having the same problem. Get the gasket... be done. :headbang:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
none of the bolts were loose tho, i couldn't even tighten any of them at all. i mean, how does a METAL gasket burn out?? i can understand the typical gasket material doing that.

whats to prevent a new gasket from doing the same?
what about any of the liquid gaskets? like a copper one i think it is?....
cuz if the two mating surfaces aren't perfectly smooth, i would think this type of a gasket would seal better than a normal gasket.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
I have the bronze(tube) RTV in between my mani and turbo. I have no leaking problems at all.

Now motoxxxman is gunna tell you to go with a metal gasket.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
the only way that gasket can blow out is if one or both of the mating surfaces isnt flat. the mani flange is prob the one that is warped if you have a welded manifold.

either have them resurfaced and put a new gasket in, or still use a new metal gasket but put a thin layer of high temp rtv on both sides of the gasket before installing it. and let it dry for like 20 minutes before actually putting it in so it can partially harden

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
And then give it some more time to set before you fire it up :p

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i used a very liberal amount of the copper RTV, and let it sit for about 4-5 hours before driving it.....

and it already blew out again after i drove an hour back down to school :mad2:

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Did you just use the copper RTV or a metal gasket and copper RTV?Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
bahahahaha so tell me this, how hard is just to test the copper RTV alone and see how it works? Hey if it works it works, if it blows out again then well you are back to square one. Correct?Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Cuz mines not properly done. lamo.. Just a joke. Cuz its a badass. lol. Try it and see what happens. I bet the metal gasket blew which caused all of it to go. Just a guess. Mines still holding up just fine.Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I never use a gasket between the mani and turbo. I also never use one between downpipe and turbo. I had issues with them not lasting long as well. I went to Honda-Tech and talked to a bunch of guys on there and most dont use them.

I havent had a problem since I quit using them. I havent seen any issues with it all, my car has been boosted in various setups for the past 2yrs.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jesus christ this is getting ridiculous. my latest gasket attempt was the cut your own stuff you get @ AAP, its like corrugated metal sandwiched between cardboard. its held up for the past month or so, went to the track last night, and now its leaking from the top AND bottom of the gasket. for crying out loud.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
^If it is really that bad, take off the turbo and manifold, and have your manifold machined to make sure it is flat like steve posted up before. When you replaced the gasket this time did you at least file down everything? Go to a local turbo shop and grab a proper gasket. They are like 5 bucks, and pick up some new bolts and nuts as well so you can get everything nice and tight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts