Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have the 1994 Honda Prelude Si. Just got it and I've been putting regular gas because the previous owner used regular gas for 8 or so years.

Should I switch to Premium? or just stay regular?

(Side note, I put some some additives to kinda clean out the engine a bit when I first got it and it runs fine on regular)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
well it says right there on your gauges to run premium so do it...as far as running regular it really does hurt the car in the long run causing premature engine failure...answer me this have you ever heard you car knock if so try running some premium fuel and see if it helps or eliminates it

·
Registered
978 Posts
I wondered this same thing a few weeks ago, but with premium peaking (hopefully) at $3.00 a gallon, I made my decision and switch to medium grade.

It runs great.

I fill up on 89 octane regularly and it runs awesome.. not even the slightest knock. Performance is similar too. However, I wouldn't run it any lower. Honda recommends premium, so I'm already pushing it.

You can always buy octane boosters.. they run like $2 for a gallon's worth of booster (8oz?) so if you fill up a full tank (necessary) it should give you a nice little oomph. I'm not sure how much money you would save, but you might get over a super level. I've never figured it out.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I think you may be spending more money in the long run and not saving anything by buying a lower grade gas and then getting an octane booster. I don't know about where your at but in most places I've been there is only a 10 cent difference between the premium and mid-grade fuels. So if you put 10 gallons in your car it only costs you an extra dollar more to use premium.

Read page 58 of the most recent Sport Compact Car (June 2006), the last paragraph pretty much sums up why you want to run at least 91 octane.

·
Registered
11 Posts
premium fuel doesn't burn cleaner it just depends on the fuel additives the company puts in there the only difference is that on the premium the explosion of the gas and air mix burns longer thus traveling further down into cylinder pushing the piston down with with the force it need to for the compression....yea and the lower you go less power you have

·
Registered
234 Posts
yeah dude... run premium like you're suppose to. you're going to run lean and your motor is going to go boom from detenation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts