Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well when i start my car on idle, it smells like gas
i checked the fuel filter (changed it) and there is no gas leaking out.
im going to check it soon because it really stinks. what do you guys think
i should check?

·
Registered
66 Posts
leaky injectors

That was the problem with mine @ about 90k (8 yrs ago). No problems since I put new injectors in. It is somewhat chronic on these cars.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
If you can smell it it's leaking somewhere. Check around the injectors and see if they are leaking from the seals. On a 20+ year old car it would not be surprising. Any rubber parts will start to harden up and leak after that long. The seals shouldn't be too expensive or especially difficult to replace.

C|

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you can smell it it's leaking somewhere. Check around the injectors and see if they are leaking from the seals. On a 20+ year old car it would not be surprising. Any rubber parts will start to harden up and leak after that long. The seals shouldn't be too expensive or especially difficult to replace.

C|
You should be able to track it down to one or two injectors, hopefully. They run about $45-50 on eBay. I tried just replacing washers, but it did not solve the problem.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
you can also check the fuel line in the drivers kick panel. ive found they somtimes corrode at the clip that hold them in place and can sprout a small leak, but this only really aplies to places with salty roads wich gets on your boots and on to the carpet and so on

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Another thing to check is the fuel pressure regulator (only applies to PGM-fi engines). If the diaphragm goes bad in it, it'll leak gas directly into the vacuum line. I've worked on a few vehicles that had a bad fpr and could smell gas from inside the car from it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts