Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found this bad boy on Craigslist. 1991 Prelude Si 2.1 with ABS. Sadly, not 4ws but might convert later on ;)

101,400 or so on the clock when I picked it up. Everything works, cruise, AC (needs charge/seals changed), headlights, sunroof, even the power antenna. The old man I bought it from said he had had it about 10 years and barely drove it and had it in his garage. The only noticeable issue he told me about was the slight hail damage to the hood, roof, and trunk. It's not bad enough to see, unless I point it out. Needless to say, I scooped it up.

Had a rotor noise when rolling forward or back. Figured that it just needed brakes, which it did, but also found out a rear caliper was stuck. No biggy.

NO rust. None. The guy I got it from replaced the whole exhaust (stock muffler and tip, no cheap rice garbage). This thing is mint. Even people that don't know what Preludes are give me compliments.

Aside from a few normal oil leaks, and a squeak noise (thread here: http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3996937) and basic things like clogged rain drains, it's very solid.

And of course, just in case, I have the 'kids' buckled up in the back seat

I don't plan on beefing this thing or putting a turbo on it (unless I hit the lotto soon). I want to get it cleaned up and running good and just use it as a sporty daily. And hopefully lower it a little on coilovers, and convert it to 4ws. But no rush. :D

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Paint looks great and I see the sunroof works better shape then mine. Mine has 150,000 roughly. you also have the rare behind console cover trim. If you ever want to remove it for some reason use a body panel removal tool and best bet is to ask me to post a picture of these covers backside so you know where pry. I broke the panel trying to remove it at the junkyard years ago. I didn't have a body tool then and one side got broken. Shortly after that I bought new ones from hondapartsnow.com. They only came on alb cars in 90-91 to hide the alb computer. But supposedly could of been added to any 3rd gen. I have not installed mine yet.

If your noise is not suspension related from what I gathered from your other thread maybe the abs pump is making noise. It is real close to where you had your camera aimed. The bumper has a metal reinforcement bar and metal brackets that hold this bar to the body and a foam fitment piece over the reinforcement. Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Nice find!

This thing is almost a color-inverted carbon copy of mine when I picked it up... sorta. Mostly in that it was in similar condition with the same things needing attention. The best price I found on rear calipers was on rockauto at the time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paint looks great and I see the sunroof works better shape then mine. Mine has 150,000 roughly. you also have the rare behind console cover trim. If you ever want to remove it for some reason use a body panel removal tool and best bet is to ask me to post a picture of these covers backside so you know where pry. I broke the panel trying to remove it at the junkyard years ago. I didn't have a body tool then and one side got broken. Shortly after that I bought new ones from hondapartsnow.com. They only came on alb cars in 90-91 to hide the alb computer. But supposedly could of been added to any 3rd gen. I have not installed mine yet.

If your noise is not suspension related from what I gathered from your other thread maybe the abs pump is making noise. It is real close to where you had your camera aimed. The bumper has a metal reinforcement bar and metal brackets that hold this bar to the body and a foam fitment piece over the reinforcement. Welcome to the site.
What console trim are you referring to? And where might I find a replacement ABS pump, IF that is my noise problem? Thanks for the welcome.
Nice find!

This thing is almost a color-inverted carbon copy of mine when I picked it up... sorta. Mostly in that it was in similar condition with the same things needing attention. The best price I found on rear calipers was on rockauto at the time.
Yeah, I wish I had had time to order them from Rockauto. I was crunched for time and ended up just grabbing the caliper from Advance Auto (where I'm working for now)

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
well the covers are behind the radio behind the curve of the shifter console in either foot well. As for the pump they don't make any new ones aftermarket and discontinued from Honda. Somebody that knows them onhere might be able to rebuild it if it is bad but I don't know anybody that has done that to my knowledge. I lot people just get the front hard lines from a donor or make there own with a donor proportioning valve and switch to standard power brakes. The donor being non alb. You also have wheel sensors at the axles to worry about. I forget if Andrew who just posted has alb and might know something otherwise Dave aka mustardcat I think has an alb. He also has been breaking cars down for parts. He also has a great tutorial site http://prelude3g.com

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
if it seems to be working and not throwing a code I would leave it alone. I would replace suspension including bushings first then check on the bumper by removing it and looking it over for rubbing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was the ABS pump. I disconnected the plugs and the squeak went away! Bye bye ABS for now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts