Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so we all know i have too big of a sub.... yea yea yea... anyway...

My sub randomely stops playing either when it hits hard or sometimes when its played for like half a song. The sub just stops working....

I have an Optima yellow top battery... i thought that would help... nope....

Now what....

Oh.... and when i turn the deck off and beack on the sub works for like 20 seconds then stops again

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
your amp is bein overloaded or overheating or something, it's turning off to keep you from damaging it, you can try to turn the gain up a bit or down... I forget which is higher or lower. Maybe it's shorting somewhere? What kinda amp and specs? and whats your wiring setup on it?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok its a sony explod 1200watt... the sub is a pyle dryver 3000watt peak.... im using tsunami installation kit...the watt max on the installation thing was only 1000watt... but the thing is... it was working fine until i crashed my car... but now i have a new battery and now it dont work...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Problem!

In most cases like this, the amp is usually to blame, sony sucks cause they EXPLODE!! Turning on and off is a sign of the overload circuit going on. You should ultimately change your amp!! Goodluck! Or turn down the gain!!

I need help on deciding what spoiler I should get or whether I should forget the idea completely!!Thanks!

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
happened after you crashed... you checked all your grounds and connections right?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea grounds are fine... this weekend im doin the upgraded ground thingy just in case.... but since im a 3rd gen i need to know where are 3rd genners put there ground from the amp....

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
a ground is a ground, I don't care what car you're in. In my 3g I dremeled the surface of about 1 sq inch maybe a bit less and screwed in a fat screw and a lockwasher in the flat area right behind the back seat under the carpet of course.

that was in my 3rd gen.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
bro i told u what u needed to do, but thats just what i have experienced. but do what u want i just told u what u needed to do. hope u figure it out.

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
Hey Tiki, I've been having probs with my Sony Xplod 1200W Amp. That's prolly your problem. Sony sucks ass. Read my thread a few down about what's up with it. But yeah, switch amps...I tried everything to get my Xplod to work like it should. As for your ground, right under the carpet where the seat folds down there is a bolt dead center on the support right there from the trunk to the seat. That's where I put mine.

·
Registered
146 Posts
How is your sub wired? Is your amp 2 ohm stable. If your amp is not 2 ohm stable it will overheat quickly. If it is 2 ohm stable, and its still overheating, its time for a new amp.

·
Registered
739 Posts
When doing grounds, ALWAYS sand the paint down to bare metal, then screw the ground down..

If you have ANY engine whine in your stereo, your grounds are bad somewhere..

A lot of times it could just be a bad factory ground at the cd player, but most the times its the subs ground

btw, does your amp play for a while before shuting off? Or is it right when you get in your car and crank it? If it takes a while, its just over heating.. Sony does that, ALL sony amps do that.. I'v had many friends with sony amps that over heat at there recommended ohm load with the gains set properly..
I'd recommend a new amp, but if you wanna be cheap, get a 80-120mm fan from radioshack or www.xoxide.com and put it blowing over the amp. It shouldne't shut off after that

1 - 12 of 12 Posts