Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I have a Kenwood headunit and 4 6.5" Pioneer speakers on my 91 Lude. I took out my backseats and fit some wood and covered it in vinyl and am in the market for a 12" sub. I don't know squat about subs and am asking for your opinions on what I should look into from your experiences.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not putting a box in my car. I'm going to make a hole in the wood that is now in place of my backseats. All I'm looking for is suggestions on 12" subs.

·
Registered
513 Posts
are you goin to build an enclosure for the sub??
only askin cause we need to know if your looking for a sealed box sub or free air sub??
i have 2 10" 2005 kicker comps, and ive heard them in 12's as my friend and they sound great, we both have them in enclosures, but i beleive they also work good as free air

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It'll be a free-air sub. Picture the back of a 3rd Gen Prelude. Now, picture the backseats gone. You'll notice that there's this big hole and the metal interior of the car is now exposed. Now picture 2 large pieces of wood fitting into where the bottom and top half of the backseats were exposed. The sub will be going into the where the top half of the backseats were, all this wrapped in black vinly of course. I would take pictures of what I'm talking about, but my interior is not done yet and I don't want to show it untill it is completely done! :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
hmmmm i dont know much about 3rd gens
edit: nothing about 3rd gens
but i can sort of relate it to 4 gens
and it sounds like a good idea
and can look great if done right!!
but i think kicker is your best bet is kciker for free air
a 12" l7 would look sick
but make sure you have a STRONG board, yull need to use thick wood cause no matter what sub you put in, if its a 12 inch it'll abuse the shit out of that board. not to mention the weight of a sub on its own

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Already got that taken care of. ;) I'm also adding 2 6x9's beside the sub. The amp will be placed on the bottom half of where the backseats were.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
First problem: Trunk is not sealed. It will take a lot of effort to do so. There are gaps all over the place, the rear deck is perforated like crazy, and simply, it's tough to do. Infinite baffle only works if the trunk is COMPLETELY sealed.

Second problem: Finding a driver that can handle IB. Most drivers cannot, because it requires very strong suspension, and you need to pay a lot of attention to the driver, because it's SO easy to over-drive your sub and destroy the suspension. An L7 will explode (literally, pieces of the cone everywhere), it wouldn't be able to handle it, as would most subs.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DJ_Mittens said:
First problem: Trunk is not sealed. It will take a lot of effort to do so. There are gaps all over the place, the rear deck is perforated like crazy, and simply, it's tough to do. Infinite baffle only works if the trunk is COMPLETELY sealed.

Second problem: Finding a driver that can handle IB. Most drivers cannot, because it requires very strong suspension, and you need to pay a lot of attention to the driver, because it's SO easy to over-drive your sub and destroy the suspension. An L7 will explode (literally, pieces of the cone everywhere), it wouldn't be able to handle it, as would most subs.
Um, I don't think you guys know where exactly I'm planning to put these subs......???

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
xNicoyAx said:
Um, I don't think you guys know where exactly I'm planning to put these subs......???
xNicoyAx said:
It'll be a free-air sub. Picture the back of a 3rd Gen Prelude. Now, picture the backseats gone. You'll notice that there's this big hole and the metal interior of the car is now exposed. Now picture 2 large pieces of wood fitting into where the bottom and top half of the backseats were exposed. The sub will be going into the where the top half of the backseats were
I can read. I know what you're doing. I told you what serious considerations you need to make. Let me know where I lost you, because many others here will tell you I generally know what I'm talking about. I direct you to the sticky at the top of the CE&S forum, and the link in my signature, So you want to learn about car audio....

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Scratch that idea. Not doing this anymore since my parents are worried about someone breaking into my car. :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts