Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My right rear tail light went out a couple of days ago, changed the bulb, still nothing, checked the fuses, found out that the 'rear right tail light' fuse is blown, replaced it and immediately blew it again. Any ideas where the short could be? Or even if some bad switch could be the culprit?
On a sidenote, I don't know if this is somehow connected, but my license plate lights and the dash light don't work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: took out the aftermarket stereo I installed a week ago and found a loose cable which was touching the bare metal behind the radio. So I taped it up, put in a new fuse and everything now works including the tail light, license plate light and dashlight

·
Registered
77 Posts
This should not be the case as the stereo and break lights run on different circuits. If the issue has stopped then though who cares for now I guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is on the same circuit, at least on mine, as I checked it by putting a new tail light fuse in, then touched that loose cable to the bare metal and the fuse would blow everytime without fail.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Something does not sound right, if your stereo was wired into the lights circuit then the stereo would only get power when the lights are on... unless a previous owner has hacked into the light circuit before any switches. In which case that too is bad as it puts at risk the reliability and safety of your lights over a problem with the stereo. Circuits have resisters in them and things like that. The power in the circuits should all be balanced otherwise you can put strain on your battery.

I can tell you all this because when I was 18 I hacked into my stereo power source to power neon lights and I had the same symptoms you described, fuses constantly blowing.. because I didn't cover my crimped terminals properly with sticky tape and they touched Earth. lol \o/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts