Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i searched..... no luck....and yes..... search is working at my house finally YAY!

ok so i want a hood scoop that is functional with my car.... i know cold air intake is better than short ram, but i live in CO so air is pretty damn cold most of the time...

Anyways... i just want to know what options i would have.... i know mustarcat has those holes on the sides.... but i get alot of snow and alot of rain so that wouldnt work to well... i would need a scoop that covers its own hole....

thanks in advance

·
Herp Derp Lerp
1,568 Posts
I know that manny "toofast" had functional scoops on his car but then again we all know what happened to him. I believe thats the only car i remember. And i do recall he had a short thread on hoe he did it. Ill see if i can find it.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
boblasek said:
I know that manny "toofast" had functional scoops on his car but then again we all know what happened to him. I believe thats the only car i remember. And i do recall he had a short thread on hoe he did it. Ill see if i can find it.
thank ya.... and i have no idea what happened to him...

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
toofast was accepting payments from people for bored tb's, ported and polished intake mani's, and other custom parts, and he waited til he had a reputation and was getting mass payments, then bailed, stealing everyones money and not giving them the parts he claimed he would make for them.

but anyway, are you looking for a scoop simply for cold air for the intake to get air from? or are you thinking about a ram air setup for the scoop?
both are possible and not too difficult. but with ram air if you did it right you would have to get a chipped ecu and tune for the "boost" at higher speeds

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Ram air caps out at less then 1psi at freeway speeds anyway, probably not worth the trouble.

The problem is that if your going fast enough to get the ram air effect, your going fast enough for the water to be going at an awefully steep angle in relation to your car, very easy to get water down the scoop like that.

With some tricky work on airboxing (where you'd put it is beyond me, prolly where toofast did) you could put a forced drain before the air filter and make it irrelevent whether water goes down it or not.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
the amount of actual pressure in a ram air setup is determined by the size of the scoop at a given speed. the larger the scoop, the higher the pressure it will create in the intake due to the larger amount of air it is trapping before the TB with momentum behind it. to an extent. obviously you're not gonna get 10psi with ram air, but anything over 0psi (ambient air pressure) will show an increase in power and response.

bob, i've actually seen 1psi of "boost" from a ram air setup at 40mph, but the scoop was fairly large lol and straight piped to the TB, no curves or tapers in the pipe itsself. that same scoop showed 3psi at about 65mph. the scoop was a little larger than i would put on a 3g, but with some creativity, there are ways to mount a large scoop somewhat hidden from view.

at lower throttle openings, the boost is typically a lil higher, while at WOT the boost is a lil lower cuz its using up the supply of "boost", but the throttle response from a ram air setup is amazing when built and tuned properly, with gains more noticeable at higher speeds obviously lol

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
i did a wrx scoop with a ram air box off a old 88-93 s10 4.3 chevy, i then use a k and n filter , works very well, but if u have a big strut bar it is hard to fit it there

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
What size was the scoop and how much boost did it produce at full throttle 40mph and 65mph?

I'm not doubting you mind you, i'm adding to my knowlage base, this is good info!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so... if i got the scoops like toofast did... how would i go throguh with cutting holes in hood, and i would want to to a ram intake setup.... i really have no idea how to go through with this...

·
Herp Derp Lerp
1,568 Posts
i believe he used the First gen hood scoops? Correct me if im wrong. Look at the pics in the thread i posted.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
valenburg said:
noobness at it's best.

that's the way you do it if you want a case of hydrolock on your hands.
the way toofast did it will suck water like a monster if you drive in the rain at all, that will surely blow the motor with enough water in the intake. aka hydrolock. BUT, if done properly, there is no need to worry about water at all. sooo, the only way it is newbness, is if you dont do it the right way.
on to the next part....

Tiki said:
so... if i got the scoops like toofast did... how would i go throguh with cutting holes in hood, and i would want to to a ram intake setup.... i really have no idea how to go through with this...
ok, for one, you would use a dremel cutoff bit to cut the holes in the hood. this takes the longest over any other method, but comes out a lot cleaner, easier to do, and doesnt bend stuff as it cuts or burn the paint around it like a die grinder with a cutoff wheel would.

the key to getting water out of the system is to build a shield around the top part of the filter so when water comes in the scoop it hits the shield, then runs down it around the filter, and drips off the shield below the filter into the bottom of the airbox. and this is where you drill a very small hole in the very bottom most part of the airbox. drilling a very small hole will drain the water, without losing much of the ram effect. or you can do it a different way and buy a rubber plug grommet, and drill a hole the size of that, and put the grommet in on nice dry days for a totally airtight airbox, while being able to remove the grommet/plug on wet days to feel 100% safe that the water is exiting quickly. it'll just cause you to lose a good portion of the ram effect with the larger hole and plug idea.

you also need to have some form of soft gasket/seal around the top border of the airbox for the hood and scoop to seal to so you keep an airtight airbox. toofast's setup has a perfect example of how to seal it properly with the hood, but he may have gone a little overboard on how much of it to use lol, cuz he put it on the airbox AND the underside of the hood. you only need it on one surface. having it on two surfaces is too much softness and will lose pressure cuz its not a tight enough seal unless its seriously mashed together. both surfaces being covered in that type of seal is too soft, because both have sideways give, like your lips. if you loosen your lips and build pressure in your mouth, your lips open and release the air, cuz your lips bulge outwards. lol, thats about the best example i could think of. but if you do the same thing but only use one lip and lightly push it against your teeth, it'll hold the pressure better, and wont release the air until a higher pressure in your mouth is reached, because it is sealed against a stationary surface, not another surface with sideways give. hopefully you get the idea of that

ok, now, as far as how to build the airbox and shield so you will never have to worry about water, heres a few very basic pics to portray the idea of it all:

now, if you look at the picture, you will see i drew it like this on purpose. all shapes and "scale size" of things are almost identical to how i would actually build it, and how it should be built properly:
the shield has to at least go past the center of the filter on the sides, must go past the filter in the front, and also must go past the cutout of the hood, and must be sealed to the backside of the airbox. any liquid water sucked in will go down and/or rearwards, and hit the shield, running down it and/or to the rear of it hitting the airbox, where it then drips off down to the bottom of the airbox, and then out the hole in the most bottom part of the box, which should be located also as far rearward as possible. again, notice the shape and location of everything and you will understand how it works.

the shield protruding past the filter and hood cutout, will prevent water from getting to the front side of the filter. the shield will only prevent liquid water from being sucked in, not water vapor. but if you think about it, even stock intake systems suck in water vapor when its raining out cuz its in the air lol, so it doesnt matter one bit if vapor gets in there.

the incoming air charge will be forced into the scoop, blast into the entire top surface of the shield, then go down around it and back up under it to the filter. at the speed the air will be moving, the air itsself will move fine and freely, but whatever liquid water is still suspended in the air that doesnt hit the shield will get slingshotted to the bottom of the airbox from momentum. also a reason for the shape of the shield. same concept as major curves in a carbuerated intake system dealing with suspended fuel seperation from the air/fuel mixture due to momentum of the air and the fuel.

hope this has given a little bit of insight on proper safe ram air setups, and i hope it is easily understandable enough by you all from teh way i have described it and portrayed it in the pic. any other questions about it, feel free to ask, or post here. i'll keep an eye on this thread.

maybe this thread should even be stickied due to the amount of info in it, and the common thought of this concept by many people on this site.

~Steve
<--instant messenger sn's to the left

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Hell of a writeup there, pretty much exactly what i was going to say, but in more detail with pictures, nicely done!

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
:-D thanks guys it was my pleasure. glad i could be of service and help out and share my knowledge.

sticky this thread mod? :-D

oh, and btw, random thought, but that silver thingy that looks like a scale at the bottom of everyones name section on the left, is a button for reputation points. aka rep power. if you are impressed with someone's post, you can click that and choose a positive feedback type point and leave a comment :p

hint hint wink wink nudge nudge :-D lol

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
boo hiss :)

Nice write up Steve, now I get it - the drawings made the post more understood by myself, nice.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
there we go, now im happy lol, if 88si can understand it now, anyone should be able too. HAHA! jk matt, but glad you could understand it too

bump for more views on the write-up :-D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts