Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i just have one question here that i need a good awnser for. I have a fuel delivery problem, and the main question i really need answering before i dive into anything tomorrow afternoon would bee more of suggestions, as i ruled it as faulty fuel pump but i want to see what you guys think;; alright here we go have a 91 prelude with a b20a5 motor and tranny from a 88 lude that i swapped in. When i undo the banjo bolt from the fuel rail assembly(i stuck the hose into a cup to measure the amount of fuel i was getting) the fuel pump will only initially spurt out a little bit of fuel it doesn't consistently dump out fuel( like it should right?) cuz last time i checked fuel pumps are supposed to initially kick on until a specific psi is reached then they shut off or until you start to turn the engine over correct? So does this sound like a bad fuel pump to you? The only other thing i was thinking it might be would be the pressure regulator, but since I've never had to replace a fuel pressure regulator before It sort of had me thinking and wondering and second guessing my diagnosis. Btw it was running about a week ago but has been sitting since it died on me( started sputtering and lost all powergoing up the hill yup get out of my neighborhood so i coasted it home Back down the hill and its parked on the street currently:/) please help i miss my lude running and its really getting expensive to be driving a big ass truck around that gets about 8 to the gallon

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also had removed the banjo of the fuel filter( inline from fuel pump) got the same results before anyone tells me fuel filter

·
Memento Mori
7,511 Posts
The pump only runs for a set time to prime the system when you turn the key on. You need to put a fuel pressure gauge on it to see if the pressure is correct.

·
Registered
954 Posts
So i just have one question here that i need a good awnser for. I have a fuel delivery problem, and the main question i really need answering before i dive into anything tomorrow afternoon would bee more of suggestions, as i ruled it as faulty fuel pump but i want to see what you guys think;; alright here we go have a 91 prelude with a b20a5 motor and tranny from a 88 lude that i swapped in. When i undo the banjo bolt from the fuel rail assembly(i stuck the hose into a cup to measure the amount of fuel i was getting) the fuel pump will only initially spurt out a little bit of fuel it doesn't consistently dump out fuel( like it should right?) cuz last time i checked fuel pumps are supposed to initially kick on until a specific psi is reached then they shut off or until you start to turn the engine over correct? So does this sound like a bad fuel pump to you? The only other thing i was thinking it might be would be the pressure regulator, but since I've never had to replace a fuel pressure regulator before It sort of had me thinking and wondering and second guessing my diagnosis. Btw it was running about a week ago but has been sitting since it died on me( started sputtering and lost all powergoing up the hill yup get out of my neighborhood so i coasted it home Back down the hill and its parked on the street currently:/) please help i miss my lude running and its really getting expensive to be driving a big ass truck around that gets about 8 to the gallon:sad:
I'm not sure, but I believe if the ECU doesn't receive a signal from the Cam/Crank sensor to confirm that the engine is turning over, the ECU will stop the fuel pump. The idea being that if you are unfortunate enough to crash your vehicle and have a fire, the pump doesn't just keep running and possibly feed the fire with petrol.

Someone with better knowledge of our ECU might be able to confirm or deny this.

Fuel pressure test is shown here.
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_145193000080111&key=5b8fea8a7a51732e68347e2dead4d4f0&libId=ij09mmid010006tx000DAczlnaxgz&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.preludepower.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D435170&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.honda.co.uk%2Fcar%2Fowner%2Fmedia%2Fmanuals%2FPreludeManual%2F62sf100%2F6-189.pdf&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.preludepower.com%2Fforums%2Fforumdisplay.php%3Ff%3D197&title=White%20spark%20plugs%20and%20occassional%20problem%20starting%20-%20Honda%20Prelude%20Forum%20%3A%20Honda%20Prelude%20Forums&txt=%3CFONT%20color%3D%2322229c%3Ehttp%3A%2F%2Fmedia.honda.co.uk%2Fcar%2Fowner%2Fmedia%2Fmanuals%2FPreludeManual%2F62sf100%2F6-189.pdf%3C%2FFONT%3E

·
Registered
680 Posts
^^^both are correct. If you want your fuel pump to run continuously, jump pin A12 (GRN/BLK) at the ecu to A2 (BLK) at the ecu and turn the key on. Another option would be to supply power to the YEL/BLK wire at the fuel pump. I suspect either of these would be a waist of time as it seems your fuel delivery system is operating per design.

Do as they said above and preform a fuel pressure test if you still suspect a fuel delivery issue. Also, what diag. steps led you to suspect fueling issues? You said it started sputtering and lost power going up a hill, does this change on flat ground? Does it sputter at idle, or under load? Any maintenance history? Since you already took a fuel sample, how much if any water was in it after letting it sit for a bit?

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
you didn't need to create two threads for the same problem. For anybody wanting to give advice or clarify everything as far as symptoms look at his other thread as well titled "car won't start". I would do it but I got to eat and run some errands. I think I read that it has been sitting for awhile. If the gas is over a year old there is a drain bolt on the driver's side near the bottom of the tank behind ds rear wheel. You can drain the tank and add new gas and chevron techron fuel injector cleaner. I am assuming it is fuel injected but I would have to reread. Also you need to resolder the main relay pins for wiring harness at the board of the relay like suggested before if you haven't. If you don't have a soldering iron buy one and some wire solder. Also did you replace the sock filter screen at the fuel pump pick up in the tank when replacing the fuel pump? You should or at least clean it good and inspect for tears or holes. Most fuel pumps warranties will be void if they find out you didn't replace it. Some fuel pumps come with a new one and if not you can buy it by itself for not much money.

If your not sure if the timing belt snapped you can do a compression test like suggested in the other thread. If you do not have a compression gauge. You can loan one at O'rielly's or autozone for free but you have to pay for it and then you get your money back when you return it unbroken. A credit card would be good for this if your low on cash. Or you can disconnect the alternator harness and spark plug wires and pull the valve cover free of charge. However if you put it back on without replacing the gasket it might leak oil.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
The fuel pickup tube sock in your tank maybe clogged and crusted with sediment and intermittently picking up fuel. This happened to me a while back and also there is a small hose between the fuel pump and the fuel pump housing that can also get old and deteriorate and will cause an air leak breaking the siphon effect.

Located in your trunk just behind the rear seat there are two round disc to access the fuel tank. The driver side disc has the fuel pump location. Be sure to disconnect the battery before accessing this and then disconnect the necessary hoses unbolt the surrounding diaphragm Bolts. Pull the pump out and you'll most likely find the pickup soccer completely crusted with sediment and only a few small holes pickup fuel from. Clean the fuel sock very well with carburetor cleaner being careful not to damage or crack it. Check the small hose in between the pump and pump housing to see that it's not damaged but go ahead and replace it but you have everything out anyway

I had the same fuel starvation issues that you're describing and it took me awhile to figure out what is was.

Reinstall your pump make all the connections and then check your fuel filter. Unbolt the inlet line and outlet line and removed from firewall and then go to a wooden block and tap it upside down and see if you get any sediment out. Best to just get a new for $25 at any auto parts store.

This is what I did and it fixed my fuel starvation issue and the car ran much better than before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts