Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am having issues my 89.5 Si(89 2.0Si swapped to a 90-91 2.1Si). It will run fine until around 2750-3500rpm. It will shut off and coast in gear. If I flip the switch on and off, it will run until it shuts off.. At 4k+rpm it pops and sputters. I have already replaced the fuel filter last night when the problem occurred more often. Anyone else have this random issue?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Okay, have you checked fuel pressure at the outlet of the fuel filter and after the regulator? Any CELs?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Check engine light. Have you ensured with fuel pressure tests to ensure your inference is correct?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still rather new to the 3rd Gen.. Coming from a 2nd Gen owner of 11 years.i ll check the stickies how to check the light

·
Registered
205 Posts
If a CEL isn't on, then you don't have any worries. If you suspect the regulator, just check the pressure after the regulator and rev the car up to the RPMs where it starts to bog - if it stays within spec, then you'll need to look at injectors.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Okay, so your CEL is on? Get the codes.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I go to jumper the little plug and light only comes on for a couple seconds then off...not sure if it's the code or just the initial key on, engine off

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Well a quick search in the F.A.Q. might prove me right or wrong. I was thinking that the obd0 cars you had to read the actual ecu led. Maybe not. I never learned this for sure because I have a 91 b21a1 with obd1 ecu and I know I can read the code on the cel afaik doing what you said you did.

Yeah it is normal for it to come on when you put the key in then go off. That way you know the bulb still works.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've looked at posts from before, and I checked what commonly causes the issue I'm having. So far.. Fuel pressure is at 37-40psi, the fuel filter has been replaced, spark plugs are good and have been cleaned, wires are good, dizzy was replaced right before they sold the car to me, and I hear the fuel pump relay click with the fuel pump working

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Ok I need more info on this. You state it is a 89 2.0si so the car body is a fuel injected 89 from factory originally correct? Then you swapped in a b21a1 engine and transmission? Stick or auto tranny? If you did swap to that engine did you use the old b20a5 intake manifold and exhaust manifold? What switch are you talking about? The ignition switch?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The car was originally a 2.0Si with fuel injection. The previous owner swapped the 2.1 into it. The car is a manual with the factory intake manifold. The exhaust manifold however was changed to a Chikara header.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm thinking perhaps timing is off? Have you checked with a timing light for ignition timing and ensured the belt timing is correct?

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
can you take a picture of the engine? Where are the o2 sensors? Does the intake manifold have a 1" tall plate in the middle with secondary butterflies. Do you know if he swapped ecu's? There was a recent thread if it was you I forget but there are ways to determine which ecu you have. Either by its connectors or the part number on it. If it is the b21a1 ecu it will have pk3 in the middle of the part number. I think b20a5 is pk2.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I checked out the crank position sensor. And it was a little oily inside. After a little bit of brake cleaner and a new seal, it fired up and stayed running.. It cuts off at 4k like a rev limiter, but I can live with that for now

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
well it probably won't run right if they didn't do the swap correctly. That's why I asked the questions I did. The intake manifold from b20a5 and exhaust manifold would have to be used if the ecu was not swapped nor the wiring harness.

Only thing I can think of that would be a rev limiter like that might be clogged cat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts