Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys recommend using those upper engine fuel cleaning additives like lucas?

My engine was rebuilt 30k ago but it has 240000 on it.

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
This is a loaded question. You really should have searched this. Some use additives, some don't. I haven't used any additives since the 80's, and haven't experience any engine failures. I would recommend that you do some research on your own and decide for yourself if you want to use them. My research has led me to believe that additives are mostly snake oil and not worth the money. I prefer to spend the money on quality synthetic oils. Other people swear by them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Fuel additives do work - Seafoam is the best. I use it once every 20k miles.

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Fuel additives do work - Seafoam is the best. I use it once every 20k miles.
Well hell, I misread what he was asking. I thought he was asking about oil additives, LOL :eek:kay: Please disregard what I posted before. :lol:

Fuel system cleaner does a decent job of keeping fuel injectors clean if you use it regularly from basically day one. But it doesn't work magic. Adding a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to your tank won't do much for you if you've got 150k miles on your injectors and they are gummed up. The only way to reliably clean them in that case is to remove them and clean them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Fuel system cleaner does a decent job of keeping fuel injectors clean if you use it regularly from basically day one. But it doesn't work magic. Adding a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to your tank won't do much for you if you've got 150k miles on your injectors and they are gummed up. The only way to reliably clean them in that case is to remove them and clean them.
I've found the best way to solve that is an Italian tune up followed up with spraying seafoam in the injector ports.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts