Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well...today on my 5 minute drive home from work, a cop followed me for a few blocks then pulled me over. I live in a small town(in B.C.), so I noticed the officer was a brand-new one. A young female cop. After interrogating me, she gave me warning to remove the tint from my door windows. Truth is, my car probably gets some unneeded attention due to it's appearance. But I've been driving around for 3 years with this tint(been pulled over/gone through roadblocks a few times). No one has ever given me trouble for it before. It's not even a dark tint..you can easily see through both of the door windows from the outside, and easily see everything inside the car. It's really just slight. I haven't ever gotten any tickets for anything either. And now I have seven days to go to the police station and show them my car minus the tint. This is a load of bs.. Many cars come from the dealerships with as much tint as my car.. So, now Im trying to find out if there's a way out of this, but I'm quite certain that I won't get anywhere. Gotta love those cocky new police officers that have nothing to do.

·
Memento Mori
7,501 Posts
So is your current tint illegal?

In the U.S. you can get a doctors note saying your eyes are so sensitive to light you have to have the darker tint, and on otherwise illegal windows, not sure if they have that in B.C though....

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
there should be a % allowance on tint in canada. if she didnt measure the % of the tint, she has no right to give you the ticket. if your tint is darker then whats allowed in B.C., you cant really fight it, but if its lighter than whats allowed legally, you can get out of the ticket by simply showing up at the police station with the tint still on and tell them to measure the %. cops are supposed to carry a special light tool that is specifically for measuring tint %.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hmm..
My current aftermarket tint "may" be illegal. I heard that in B.C. there is no allowance for front tint. Still though, there are many other cars with tint around here, and even new cars with it like I said before.
She didn't measure the tint whatsoever.

·
Registered
330 Posts
MustardCat said:
I would call up any local tint place and ask them what tint is legal and on what windows, they will know.
Exactly. Do some research by phoning some local tint places to find out the % of tint allowed, and then phone a police station to find out what the law states and what procedures they take to prove what % of tint is legal.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
if tint isn't allowed and your car didn't come with it from the factory, then u'll have to get it removed...regardless of whether she measured it or not if that be the case.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
i love my blazer's factory tinted windows. the glass itsself is tinted, not an add-on tint. so anytime a cop gives me crap for it, i tell them to try to remove it themself without breaking the window hahahaha

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey my boy does tint and i have all the states tint levels i can find it out tommorrow or email you the list if you want it and maybe that can help you out alittle this goes by legal tinting for each state i have 5% and everything but in texas we are aloud down to 35% so hey if this helps let me know please.....

heyy found this on www.supertint.com
Auto Tinting and the Law in Western Canada

What Level of Tint is Legal on Vehicle Windows in Western Canada?

There's a common misconception that it's quite legal to apply a light tint on vehicle windows to either side of the driver. In most of Western Canada, this is absolutely wrong. Manitoba allows a light tint so long as the measured light transmission through the window is at least 50% +/- 5%. BC will allow a clear ultraviolet-blocking film, such as LLumar's UVShield, to be installed beside the driver, if the driver has a medical certificate. In Saskatchewan, Alberta, Yukon, and Northwest Territories (not having heard otherwise, we assume the rules in Nunavut are the same as the NWT), it is illegal to have any density of window tint applied to the windows beside the driver

Behind the driver, however, all Western provinces and territories allow you to apply any density of tint you wish, as long as the vehicle has two outside rear-view mirrors. The only exception (once again) is Manitoba; passenger vehicles are limited to 35% +/- 5% measured light transmission, while multi-purpose vehicles (trucks, vans, etc.) may be tinted as dark as you wish.

For more detailed information, check out our province-by-province tint law chart, or go to the International Window Film Association (IWFA) web site for USA tint laws.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts