Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recent
ly purchased a 97 base for a cheap DD/rolling project. So my front right (passenger) side wheel seems to have flexed BACKWARDS. It's just enough to cause some vibration at higher speeds, and methinks the top of the strut looks like its leaning forward ever so slightly, just enough to keep the strut mount bushing from seating properly in its metal frame. I remember seeing a youtube video of an Accord with a similar issue, and they claimed it was a worn front torsion rod bushing. Here's photos of each side...disregard the ride height, it's fine. Look at the front-to-back position of the tires. Doesnt it seem like the passenger side is a little bit back from where it should be?
I've had a couple of pro mechanics from two different shocks look at it and they claim it's likely a bent frame up front, dont seem to think theres anything wrong with any bushings, but they really only looked closely at the ball joints (recently replaced, cv axles and strut mount recently done too. Gotta do sway bar end links next). I'm not so sure it's a bent frame... I think its flexing, because if I throw it into reverse and whip it into a parking spot, the wheel seems to move forward and look like it's actually in place. Now it's an old (200k+) car so I wont rule out any bent frame stuff...but I'm hoping a bushing replacement is in order. Any suggestions from you 'lude pros?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update I spent some time shoving and wiggling on the front end and found that the outer bushing on the strut/radius rod arm seems kinda loose and theres a bit of polished metal around the top edge of it, looks likes it wiggled around enough to rub off some dirt. I've ordered new ones from Moog and will slap them on middle of next week, will attach photos.

·
Administrator
6,548 Posts
Under the assumption it is a base model, I would say your radius rod bushings are in need of replacement. But looks like you've already figured that out.

Be sure to get an alignment and have the remainder of the suspension inspected for any further damages.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Spray the bolts that attach to the lower control arm and subframe with pb blaster. Then drive around for a couple days. Those bolts are a pita to get off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts