Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am replacing and rebuilding the A/C in my 88 Si. New compressor, exp valve, condenser, evaporator, drier, discharge line, suction line, o-rings, ester oil...

Alright so which is better. I understand the R-134a needs a higher PSI to function, and it is thinner, so leaks easier. However, the Freeze-12 is actually a mixture of R-134a and some other R-# freon-based stuff, but operates at a lower pressure. Also, supposedly the Freeze-12 only needs 90% of the quantity that R-12 needs to operate the same. The thing is, Freeze-12 is more expensive than R-134a...

What has worked for you? What are the pros/cons of each?

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another question. Are there any A/C parts that can be used from another vehicle? Like, if I could save some money using a drier from a civic, or a condenser from an accord, that would be nice.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
drier is like 15 bucks at auto parts store. is your condensor damaged? if not there is no reason to replace it. just be sure that whoever charges the system pulls a proper vacuum on it prior to charging it and it will be fine. i used 134a, but i had access to 30 lb cylinder and a vacuum pump. i replaced the compressor drier and oil.

·
Registered
483 Posts
A/C Which system to go with ?

The consenses I got from several A/C experts was; stay with the orig. R12 system. Even though it may be more expensive, it is what our cars wer'e meant to function with at the maximum potential with minimal problems. R134 about 80 to 90% effective (cold) as R12. Then there is the cheaper Freeze12, flamable, and not as effective as R12. Believe me Iv'e done my homework on this one. Iv'e spoken to 5 different mechanics, each had a little differnent opinion's. The guy who made the most sense and guys who work in a Honda salvage yard for 25 years. Consenses R12. I also posted on another site,same question. They said R12. There is also some esoteric stuff out there, but they are not without thier side-effects. The R134 OK, but the system needs to be purged completely.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
chech ebay man. my grandpa bought some there kinda pricey and worth it but he gave me a few cans too ahah. he had to present he was certified for r12 so find a mechanic or someone who is certified and see if they will help u out with it

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
I have access to a vacuum/fill system at work both 134 and 12. I would say stick with R12 but only because I have a decent deal on it. If you can't get a deal then convert to R134 as it is much cheaper.

·
Registered
483 Posts
As it was told to me quote; Freeze 12 is actually 80% R134a and 20% R14B. R14B helps carry the mineral oil used in an R12 system, but not very well. The two refrigerants also leak at a different rate due to there molecular structure..... warm..R134 retrofit....cool, Freeze 12......cold R12.....colder, ES 12a.....coldest Envirosafe Industrial 12a....also flamable.

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Where are you guys getting r12? I can't get it anywhere around here anymore. I used to be able to get some from a farmer I know who stockpiled several 30 pound bottles, but he won't share anymore because it's so hard to find here.

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
I work at Toyota and have accessibility. It's something like over $100/lb if I remember correctly. Got mine free...shhh...

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have any way to acquire R-12. All the parts I listed are being replaced with brand new or possibly remanned parts. Currently, not a single A/C part is installed on the 88 Si lude. Most of the parts I listed were actually salvaged and installed on my 88 S lude (R-134a and cold but leaked).

I will be buying a vacuum pump and zapping any moister out of the lines after I install everything. Hopefully doing that will also give me an indication of whether or not it leaks. If Freeze-12 is flammable, it will not be put in my car. How can I confirm this is the case?

So far, R-12 is eliminated from the list, and possibly Freeze-12. That leaves R-134a. Any other options for non-flammable, usable, and less than $50/#?

Keep in mind, I will be spending upwards of $600 for parts alone... Doing all the work myself with the proper tools. No collection is necessary because there are no A/C components present in the car.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
What about R-410a? Would that work in our AC systems using ester oil?

Never mind. The wiki states it needs thicker tubing and uses higher pressure than R-22... Wait, is R-12 lower or higher than R-22?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-410A

Does anyone know anything about R-500? This website seems to indicate it is a replacement for R-12 systems.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/refrigerants-properties-d_145.html

Ok well here is a list of refrigerants
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_refrigerants

·
Registered
238 Posts
r12 is available all over Craigslist from private parties so no need for certification. I just looked in the Atlanta craigslist & there were plenty of listings. I bought several cans off CL for roughly about $25 per 12oz can. I tried Freeze 12 in one of my cars & it's okay. My lude is converted to 134A & it is cool at best. Just enough for you to not sweat too much when it's 112* outside. My other car still runs on r12 & it's by far the best.

Here's one listing I found on Atlanta CL. Not sure where you are geographically to Atlanta though.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/pts/1821231729.html

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
I just found someone selling a 30 lb bottle for $450 on craigslist. I'm seriously thinking about buying it. That's only $15/lb. Anyone want to go in on it with me?:megacool: Only problem is I have to drive to Montana to get it.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
damn! thats a score no matter how you look at it. if you have gauges or buy some its worth it just to have it around.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Hate to say it but since you have already put in ester oil your going to have to use r12, and it's because r134 uses pag oil and you get some funky things going on when you put ester oil with r134, if I recall correctly I think it gelatinizes soo, you have to just go ahead and put in r12 again

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven't put anything in yet. Currently, nothing A/C related is on the car. Haven't bought the ester oil either. I read somewhere that ester oil is compatible with both R-12 and R-134a, so now I am receiving more conflicting information about it. If this is the case, can someone clue me in on what PAG oil is compatible with the compressor, R-12, and R-134a?

If I buy R-12 on craigslist, would that be legal? I am not certified for A/C systems and don't want to break the rules.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
yes it would be illegal, (not sure how you would get caught with it) but getting certified for refrigeration repair isn't hard or expensive. at least it wasn't back when i was certified. kevin is correct too. pag oil is for 134, and ester is for 12. there is a synthetic blend of pag that is compatible with both and it is specific for retrofitted systems. i would go with the 12 though if you have the funds for it.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd like to buy that R-12, but with my luck, it is a sting of some sort. Right now I am trying to follow all the rules I can. That R-12 is very tempting but I just can't risk it. That price seems too good and who keeps 19 cans of R-12 sitting in their garage?

Alright, so what PAG synthetic oil should I buy? Is it synthetic PAG-100, PAG-50, or something else?

1 - 20 of 153 Posts