Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the major bolt ons on my 97. Intake, headers, exhaust etc. I dont know if i'm going to go with a turbo or jackson racing supercharger. Either way i was wondering if anyone knows of precautions to take to strengthen the motor, axels or anything at all.

·
Registered
793 Posts
daily driver = JRSC
if your wanting to make tons of power then go with a turbo

but be prepared to break stuff, and be out of a car for a few weeks at a time. and always carry a tool box lol

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
research research research, you need to know everything in order to make a good decision, it's a lot of money so dont waste it, make an informed decision.

·
Type-Esss
4,714 Posts
Oh, and if you've got a Type SH, you won't wanna go FI at all.

·
Registered
708 Posts
i would never turbo my car, even if i had the money to throw around, i just keep on hearing all these nightmare problems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Cruiserdude said:
Oh, and if you've got a Type SH, you won't wanna go FI at all.
Why do you say that? I don't think Turbonetics or JR would make kits for the SH otherwise. The problem is that you can't exceed a certain amount of WHP (250, I think) before the ATTS has trouble keeping up.

·
Registered
758 Posts
if you turbo charge a vehicle don't go half ass, shitty parts will break and you'll only hate forced induction if you do it this way, and ask for opinions before dedicating towards a part. i was going to go ith the "holy moly" FI kit till i got slapped by (top end lude) now i got a garret t3/t04e stage 3 hybrid turbo 57 trim, new rev hard manifold and new rev hard downpipe, je pistons and eagle rods, (gasps for air:shock: ).......kteller 3'' cat back and a 3'' after market street legal cat,:) now i can mess around with my intercooler piping choices, bov, and FMIC also... but most of my money is going into tuning. i did all this so in the future if i want to upgrade my turbo then i can without changing many parts...

all thanks to topendlude for the mentoring:smilejap:

·
Registered
47 Posts
stop askin & start reading... honda-tech FI section covers everything u need to know... wat we can tell u cant even compair..

i think in HT prelude section theres a FI lude thread.. read all 45+ pages..

i read it all n learn alot more then i can ask..

·
Sleeper Needs Boost!
2,685 Posts
jaxx4k said:
stop askin & start reading... honda-tech FI section covers everything u need to know... wat we can tell u cant even compair..

i think in HT prelude section theres a FI lude thread.. read all 45+ pages..

i read it all n learn alot more then i can ask..

·
Type-Esss
4,714 Posts
eLuderTypeS said:
Why do you say that? I don't think Turbonetics or JR would make kits for the SH otherwise. The problem is that you can't exceed a certain amount of WHP (250, I think) before the ATTS has trouble keeping up.
Yeah, once you get that much WHP, or if you put about 220 ft.lbs to the road, the ATTS ecu will shut it off b/c it isn't built to handle that much power. It could tear up the unit, but the ecu doesn't know wut to do w/ all the extra power, so it'll throw a code and shut it down. You can always swap in a base tranny w/ a Quaife or something, but then you may as well just get a base. The Turbonetics kit will most likely kill your ATTS, it's just made to fit the car. I know the JRSC can work w/ ATTS, but like BDogg said, you won't be able to get its full potential. So as much as the JRSC kit costs, why get it if you can't use it to its full potential? It's not impossible to go FI and keep ATTS, its just not worth it in most cases.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Cruiserdude said:
Yeah, once you get that much WHP, or if you put about 220 ft.lbs to the road, the ATTS ecu will shut it off b/c it isn't built to handle that much power. It could tear up the unit, but the ecu doesn't know wut to do w/ all the extra power, so it'll throw a code and shut it down. You can always swap in a base tranny w/ a Quaife or something, but then you may as well just get a base. The Turbonetics kit will most likely kill your ATTS, it's just made to fit the car. I know the JRSC can work w/ ATTS, but like BDogg said, you won't be able to get its full potential. So as much as the JRSC kit costs, why get it if you can't use it to its full potential? It's not impossible to go FI and keep ATTS, its just not worth it in most cases.
So you're saying if I get a turbonitecs kit and keep the boost down to let's say 7 or 8 psi (recommended for the bolt on kit), my ATTS will shut off? The last time i checked , that kit will not exceed 250whp. :Rock:

·
Future S2000 Owner
4,419 Posts
eLuderTypeS said:
So you're saying if I get a turbonitecs kit and keep the boost down to let's say 7 or 8 psi (recommended for the bolt on kit), my ATTS will shut off? The last time i checked , that kit will not exceed 250whp. :Rock:
The reason why ATTS isn't compatable a with turbo kit is because to turbocharge your car you need to do an ECU swap. Since the ATTS computer is built into the stock ECU doing this will negate the whole system. A JRSC doesn't necessarilly need an ECU swap so it is possible to use it with ATTS.
To me ATTS is better than more power in a 5th gen because trying to put down more than 200whp in a FWD is ludicrous. I've been in plenty of FWD cars that are crazy turbocharged and it's just too much power to the front wheels of a car IMO. Get a RWD car and then start looking at massive power gains.

·
Registered
36 Posts
BdoggPrelude said:
The reason why ATTS isn't compatable a with turbo kit is because to turbocharge your car you need to do an ECU swap. Since the ATTS computer is built into the stock ECU doing this will negate the whole system. A JRSC doesn't necessarilly need an ECU swap so it is possible to use it with ATTS.
To me ATTS is better than more power in a 5th gen because trying to put down more than 200whp in a FWD is ludicrous. I've been in plenty of FWD cars that are crazy turbocharged and it's just too much power to the front wheels of a car IMO. Get a RWD car and then start looking at massive power gains.
I agree. FWD cars should'nt have excessive power. I just want a measly 240-250whp. Who said that you have to change ECUs with a bolt on turbo kit? :Rock:

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
eLuderTypeS said:
Who said that you have to change ECUs with a bolt on turbo kit? :Rock:
Someone that like their ringlands.

·
Registered
670 Posts
If you decide to go Turbo......you also need a P28/P72 ECU...Hondata S300...Walbro 255 Fuel Pump...Fuel Rail...Fuel Regulator...and bigger injectors<------STOCK INTERNALS...And if you really want to make more than 8 PSI of boost you need to upgrade the pistons...rods...rings...sleeve the block...valvetrain...camshafts and that pretty much covers it...except for whatever electronics you want.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts