Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. electric superchargers catch a lot of heat. it's prolly for a good reason. anyway, i recently took it upon myself ta buy one. i didn't buy a cheapy one either. ebay was not involved at all. i wanted ta know if anyone has had any positive experiences with these things. let me stress positive. :D

·
BAN ALL MODS!!!
2,149 Posts
It would be safe to assume nobody on here has ever said a positive thing about these. Nor have they ever used one. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
I've seen video of leaf blowers with positive dyno results. If you have something that moves a lot of air then it should work great.

You may want a second battery and the Accord alternator upgrade.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Wouldn't you want to know for certain how much air it can move before you spend that much money?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
pics please whats it do? i thought 3rd gen cant have superchargers?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Who says 3rd gens can't have a supercharger, we could just no one makes one for us.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
i thought that the 3rd gen motor runs backwards compared to other motors therefor if no one made a supercharger to run backwards then how will it work?

·
Registered
302 Posts
runs backwards?? its a normal combustion engine last time i checked.
it does lean backwards in the engine bay, making it harder to fit one under the low hoodline...

·
Registered
454 Posts
:rolleyes2:

Hey kids do try putting on a turbo either cause our engines run backwards!

i really dont know a lot about our engines? how is it that they run backwards?

do the rotate ClockWise, or Counter-Clock Wise?

thanks

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
counter clockwise my friend.
a good clue is to look underthe hood, if your in the us, the engine will be in front of the drivers seat (well duuuhh) then go to a talon or some kind of toyota or nissan fwd car and the engine will be on the passengers side, these turn clockwise

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
I just watched some Australian dude bench test one of these puppies on youtube. It pulled 68 amps !!! Good luck with that. It did manage to get an airspeed of 76 MPH but drawing 68 amps is going to put such a drag on the alternator that much or all gains would probably be canceled out.

Realistically, $500 could get you going for a real turbo.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Up to 12% HP gain in overall power output and torque.

$500 for 12% gain? Kudus for doing something different but thats all your going to get out of it is being different.

·
Registered
454 Posts
:rolleyes2:

Hey kids do try putting on a turbo either cause our engines run backwards!
counter clockwise my friend.
a good clue is to look underthe hood, if your in the us, the engine will be in front of the drivers seat (well duuuhh) then go to a talon or some kind of toyota or nissan fwd car and the engine will be on the passengers side, these turn clockwise

is that good? or is that bad? Ups? Downs? Please instruct me

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
It cant run backwards. It has to run counter clockwise for our engines.

91 prelude si 2.05 said he thought our engines run clockwise. The completely opposite direction and I was mocking him

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
It cant run backwards. It has to run counter clockwise for our engines.

91 prelude si 2.05 said he thought our engines run clockwise. The completely opposite direction and I was mocking him

what i was saying is that they run counter clockwise as were other motors run clockwise There was a guy on here befor trying to put a supercharger on and everyone told him he could not do to are engines runing counter clockwise

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Don't worry ^^^ they are mocking you for being right.
Most Honda (until recent times) FWD engines rotate the opposite way to almost every other FWD engine.
Some need to think before they slag others off for knowing more :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
honda motors that sit on the left side of the vehicle turn 'backwards' in relation to nearly every other combustion engine on the planet.

anything that is belt or gear driven is typically designed to work with 'normal' motors, and therefore would work backward when installed on a typical honda motor.

however, one should never suggest that something will not work, unless they have actually attempted it, had a clue as to what they were doing, and failed anyway.

I have seen (as in, help build and mount...not saw pics of on the interweb) a belt driven roots style supercharger designed for a 'normal' motor (a mercedes SLK) reconfigured to work on a honda (it didn't take much to make it work 'backwards')...and there is a guy who is actually running one backwars (moving the air in the out and out the in) on a delsol.

in one of the import magazines several years ago (almost ten years now) there was a civic with a paxton style (1/2 a turbo, basically) super on it from a mustang. it was mounted over the transmission, and run off a go-kart axle that had a pulley on both ends.

before hondas came factory equipped with air condidtioners, all a/c units were built to run on 'normal' motors. to make them work 'backwards' on hondas, they were installed facing the motor (the motor was on the right side of the belt, the compressor was on the left).

so long as you can figure out how to mount and belt something so that it operates in its proper direction, it really doesn't matter which way the motor spins.

now, back to the OT/OP.

most electric superchargers cannot provide enough air to be effective, or they draw more current/suck more power than they help produce, or they fail due to heat/vibration/vacuum and throw pieces of their fans into the motor.

it's entirely possible to have an electric supercharger....but it's typically not feasible.

and remember....
just because you can't do it, doesn't mean it can't be done.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts