Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been pushing myself to build a new DD, but if that doesn't happen this summer, I may be looking into a newer/fresh engine. A rebuild may be more than I'm wanting to spend.

The basic H22 swaps can be found somewhat cheap today, but I'm worried about their oil burning.
For those who run JDM swaps, what kind of burning have you experienced?

Thank you very much for any input.

Danny, go fuck yourself. :skull: :love:

·
Administrator
6,802 Posts
H23vtec swaps have been holding up well, for the (4) i've done for fellow members over the past few years. No oil consumption issues and peppy for a stock motor.

Danny doesn't love us anymore.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The have the same FRM cylinder lining? Probably going with the same old H22. That's even if I do it at all.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Yes, all h22's have frm sleeves. The oil consumption will depend on previous owner and how they cared for engine.

Long time Peirce, long time indeed!

·
Registered
675 Posts
This is something i've glanced at and need to look at more. From what i've seen the story goes ring manufactures are to blame and others blame the FRM. Was a definite QC oversite someplace because it is an issue. Add in honda magic there is a lot to think about. They didn't just toss any piston or ring in those jugs. Other than sleeves which seem to have mixed results and pricey it would be nice if they could be plated. Betting thermal expansion would be an issue.

Not sure how a import can have so little miles and end up in a container. How long they been sitting?
I'd love to have a spare on a stand though.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nonetheless, thanks wing.
Yeah bouk, after years of being sure I was done with Honda, reality is: for now it's practical and cheaper to keep going.

oldude, I myself did much reading back in my early honda days. I found nothing conclusive.

Maybe others will come in with their experiences.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Accept usage here in the UK on all prelude jdm and ukdm is around 1000 miles to one uk litre. Same goes for k20s and f20c.
I'm burning Half a litre per 140 miles in my jdm type s. I make more power from burning oil and absolutely has nothing to do with piston ring 3 failing.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Accept usage here in the UK on all prelude jdm and ukdm is around 1000 miles to one uk litre. Same goes for k20s and f20c.
I'm burning Half a litre per 140 miles in my jdm type s. I make more power from burning oil and absolutely has nothing to do with piston ring 3 failing.
You make more power burning oil and has nothing to do with piston rings? I don't get it. Where does the oil go and why?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Valve seals, and valve guides can also cause oil consumption.

Heres the situation with the FRM sleeves:

The mettalurgy of the sleeves is allot stronger and much more aggressive than the material used for the ring package. This means that any wear that will occur, will occur on the rings, not the sleeves. The FRM design, is actually really good, however, the early versions (c30a, h22a) had issues with the rings being worn down by the sleeves, leading to increasing blowby with use.

The FRM is inherently much stronger than most sleeves, however, due to the makeup opf the FRM the frm is allot more brittle, this means that these types of sleeves are more prone to damage under detonation than an iron sleeve would be. This is why when FRM equipped engines have misfires it can wreak havoc on the sleeve.

The FRM design, has been successful in many areas, Porsche, and Maserati included in that. The h22a4 engiens use the same FRM however, the mix had been changed up, that is why the 5th gen preludes are kown for less blowby, as Honda made some minute changes to help increase longevity.

Another issue the older jdm h22a's have is that the mains are to small, that is why they were prone to knocking, this was also changed in the h22a4. Another thing to note, is that the close deck FRM sleeve design had much thinner sleeve walls than the later produced open decked frm sleeved h22 engine. Many people think that a closed deck is better, but its really, not, well when looking form a factory FRM perspective. As the thinner the FRM the more prone to cracking, honeycombing and damage. The frm sleeves, WOULD NOT ever go out of round under loading as due to the hardness of the material, and the composition of the FRM material the thermal expansion was kept at a minimal.

All in all, outside of increased compression, the JDM h22 engine have nothing really good to offer. The best bet is to get the H22A8 that was used in the type s engine in eruope, as these engine have larger mains, an open deck, as well as a better ring package.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No one on here understands sarcastic British humor. Don't worry.
I love your humor Ratty. Don't ever change.(thanks for your input as well) :smilejap:

Valve seals, and valve guides can also cause oil consumption.
All in all, outside of increased compression, the JDM h22 engine have nothing really good to offer. The best bet is to get the H22A8 that was used in the type s engine in eruope, as these engine have larger mains, an open deck, as well as a better ring package.
I am aware of causes of oil consumption. What I'm really looking to find is whether the JDM H22's have similarly bad oil usage(by asking for other peoples personal accounts)
Seems to me they do, and that one should really avoid buying a pre '97 H22.

To add insult to injury, I remember Hmotors used to have 97-00 H22 long blocks for $999-1199. Now it's $1500, I'm so close I can pick up myself. Maybe a rebuild would be affordable--and yes, I would iron-sleeve the fuck out of this engine...done dealing with this FRM bullshit. :laugh:

Oh, and your grammar still sucks ass bouk. Some things never change.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Oh, and your grammar still sucks ass bouk. Some things never change.
Yes, ill never change how I feel about gammer Nazis online, they not worth the effort, frankly li love it as it really pisses people off, and that my friend, is worth every effort, or lack of effort.

keep it real peirce.

:)

·
Registered
241 Posts
My H22A swap with a little over 30,000 miles uses about half a quart at 3000-3500 miles when I do an oil change. My H22A4 before with 150k+ used maybe 1/8 of a quart in the same amount of time :(

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My H22A swap with a little over 30,000 miles uses about half a quart at 3000-3500 miles when I do an oil change. My H22A4 before with 150k+ used maybe 1/8 of a quart in the same amount of time :(
Are you fucking kidding? I'd kill a lion named Cecil to have an engine that either burned 1/2 or 1/8 of a quart every 3000 miles.
Cruel world.

Whatever, thank you very much for the stats. Exactly what I need to hear.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,274 Posts
Christ, why on earth would you complain about that? :lol: I WISH my car burned that little oil.

The norm for H22's is easily between 1-2 quarts between oil changes. My high mileage mosquito smoker goes through 2-2.5 between it's 3,500 mile intervals.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Are you fucking kidding? I'd kill a lion named Cecil to have an engine that either burned 1/2 or 1/8 of a quart every 3000 miles.
Cruel world.

Whatever, thank you very much for the stats. Exactly what I need to hear.
Christ, why on earth would you complain about that? :lol: I WISH my car burned that little oil.

The norm for H22's is easily between 1-2 quarts between oil changes. My high mileage mosquito smoker goes through 2-2.5 between it's 3,500 mile intervals.
Hahahahaha, well I guess I've just never really had any issues with engines burning oil like the H22 does, in the other vehicles I've owned. It always struck me as odd. (especially with as low miles as my H22A is)

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm in a 4g, maybe I got lucky.

OBD1 (closed deck) H22A, Mobil1 5W/30 synthetic, change the oil every 5k, never have to even touch it, at most it maybe consumes 1/8th a qt between changes. Engine came from HMO with 30k miles, gets taken to red line at least once per drive cycle. Not my daily driver, probably only has 60k on the engine and it's been in the car for 7 years maybe more.

I don't even worry about checking the oil anymore, it's always nearly full every time I change it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts