Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just came from Preludeonline, and I thought, i might-as-well try this site too.

I've been looking at pics of ludes for a while, and although I'm not much of an aftermarket guy, especially when it comes to spending a ton of money, I always liked the look of the fog lights. But I don't know ANYTHING about fogs. So why not let it by my first post ehh?

I hear about USDM fogs and JDM fogs, thats great and all, but I had no clue they were available in the u.s? That doesn't matter though..

>How do you install them? What do they hang on to, What do you plug them into? Is the FULL installation hard?

>How much are they(usdm or jdm)?

>Whats the diff in any way between USDM fogs and jdm? Are some better?

I'm really thinking about making this my first aftermarket mod(other than the radiator), and I instist on doing my own work I'm cheap, what can I say...Will I struggle, and is this stuff expensive.

Thanks for all/any help, I know I could've searched this, but I want specifics, not just a billion threads on what color lenses I want.

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
Here are pics of both the USDM and JDM fogs. There are a few write-ups on how to install the fogs on PO and Here

USDM

JDM

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Ok, I just came from Preludeonline, and I thought, i might-as-well try this site too.

I've been looking at pics of ludes for a while, and although I'm not much of an aftermarket guy, especially when it comes to spending a ton of money, I always liked the look of the fog lights. But I don't know ANYTHING about fogs. So why not let it by my first post ehh?

I hear about USDM fogs and JDM fogs, thats great and all, but I had no clue they were available in the u.s? That doesn't matter though..

>How do you install them? What do they hang on to, What do you plug them into? Is the FULL installation hard?

>How much are they(usdm or jdm)?

>Whats the diff in any way between USDM fogs and jdm? Are some better?

I'm really thinking about making this my first aftermarket mod(other than the radiator), and I instist on doing my own work I'm cheap, what can I say...Will I struggle, and is this stuff expensive.

Thanks for all/any help, I know I could've searched this, but I want specifics, not just a billion threads on what color lenses I want.
Heres some pics of the fogs with retros
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298782&highlight=USDM+fogs+JDM

They go were the black plastec cover is under the blinker. Wiring im not to sure, havent done a set yet. Im sure its not hard at all.

USDM run about $250 for a complete set. you can get them at handa

JDM fogs usually run about $350 for a complete set. Google search JDM fogs BB6 for sale.

Those prices are brand new. They can be had for a little cheaper used. USDM are a lot harder to find used. JDM are to find also but more common to come by.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
70 Posts
fog lights installation

Here is a fog light installation from this site: http://www.hondaprelude.to/art....html

-Paul

Checklist -</U></B>
  • Internal Harness (with 15A fuse installed)
  • External Harness
  • Left Fog Light (with H3C bulb installed). Fog Light has an "L" on the top
  • Right Fog Light (with H3C bulb installed). Fog Light has an "R" on the top
  • Fuse Sticker
  • Relay
  • Screws, Nut, Bolts (4 screws, 3/16" x 1/4" x at least 1/2" long and washers/nuts to fit (buy them yourself), 1 nut, 2 gold bolts)
  • Fog Light Switch
  • Zip Ties
With that out of the way, lets begin the install. You'll need a phillips screwdriver to remove/tighten the screws, some electrical tape would be nice, a 10mm ratchet, a very small phillips screwdriver (smaller then the 1st one you should already have), flashlight or shop light, a multimeter, and all necessary hardware that came with your fogs (see checklist above).
  1. Now proceed to remove both turn signals by looking at them from the side (inward toward the center of the grill) and you should see 1 screw holding them in place which should be untightened using the phillips screwdriver. Afterwards, remove both black plastic pieces by undoing the little clips holding them in. Push the clips inward from the outside and then pull them off w/ some force (they wont break) and you should have a nice gap in your bumper:

2. From here, we're going to take the external harness out (black thick housing w/ orange wire and 2 black ends) and then run them along the inside of the bumper from making sure both sides are able to appear in the empty housing. This is what the drivers side should look like:

3. Now at this point if you look directly in the middle of the bumper you should be able to take the black thick housing and see a gold connection point in the middle, which will be our ground to the frame. You need to 10mm socket to screw the connection point down using 1 of the gold screws and your result should be this:

4. You can now plug the right foglight into the harness.
  5. A good thing to do at this point would be to take your multimeter out and test the continuity of the harness and ground. Place one probe on the orange connector on the harness, and the other on the bolt at the top of the brace you just screwed into. The car's frame is connected to the negative side of the battery which completes the circuit. That means you don't need to run two wires for most things. Anyway, if the continuity is there then you're good to go. If not, check to see if there's anything wrong with the meter (touch the two probes) and then check to see if the metal nut, spade tip and chassis are all making good contact. DON'T GO PAST THIS STEP UNTIL YOU ACHIEVE CONTINUTIY. Once you have, disconnect the meter from the harness:
  6. From here you can disconnect the foglight from the harness and loosely position the foglight in place, like so:

7. More over to the other side now (left) and find the orange wire sticking out of the thick black harness and then find the pre-run orange wire (wrapped in black tape most likely) back in behind the bumper near the side marker. Use the flashlight to see deep in there, and look around for a bit, you'll find it. Once found, connect the 2 wires together (male and female connectors) and this should be your result:

8. If you're now confident that your foglights are wired up correctly, its time to move inside the car!
  9. Remove the fuse door. Down by the hood release there is a fuse panel door. You need to twist the latch and swing open the door and then remove the door completely (it comes off, just place it somewhere out of the way).
  10. Now remove the fuse door frame. That whole plastic piece the fuse door clips into comes completely off. Start at the door sill and start prying the piece away from the car. It'll pop off (a white clip disengages eventually).
  11. This part requires patience. You need to completely take out the section that houses the switches. There are two metal clips (they take a lot of abuse and won't snap so dont worry) on either side. We used ours fingers to pry the top off and away from the dash, and finally unclipped the top left clip. I do know that once one clip has been unclipped the rest are much easier. Once again, be patient:

12. Once you have the pocket out, choose which button you want to replace w/ the foglight switch. I'd keep cruise and definitly moonroof, so the last option is the useless dimmer. You can still connect the dimmer and slide it back underneath w/ the rest of all the wiring, we just dont need it visible. Here is a pic of what i took out (the far right switch) and then just use that small phillips screwdriver and replace the dimmer switch w/ the foglight switch:

13. Now connect your internal harness to the back of the foglight switch (only 1 will fit) and feed that bunch of cable down the hole towards the fuse box. Careful not to push your other connections down in the process.
  14. You now have to make a decision about how you want your lights to work and when the switch itself is illuminated. Your options are:
    a. Operate when the key is in the "ON" position. (iE., foglights will turn on only when you press the button inward)
    b. Operate the lights when the dash lights are on. (iE., when you turn on your 1st set of lights (not headlights, side markers, dash display)
    If you choose a), then plug the brown plug with the two red wires needs to be plugged into the connector port marked 2:

If you choose b) then plug that into the connector port marked 1 (immediately to the left of port 2). Whichever one you choose, make sure they snap in tight.
  15. Connect the other plug to the port marked 5 ( white wire, kinda thick ) :

16. Now remember the orange wire you plugged the external harness into on the drivers side at the bumper? Now you have to find the other end of it. It's right at the back near the firewall - it's also wrapped in black tape. Connect the internal harness orange wire to this wire.

17. Connect the relay to the internal harness (black piece w/ white writing on it). Look to the right of the hood release lever and you'll see another bolt (yes you need to 10mm socket again). Loosen it, and slide that gold connection point under it (2nd ground point) and fasten it snug & tight:

18. From this point on, your fogs should now work, assuming you did everything correctly. Go ahead and try it out!
  19. If everything lights up and the switch works, you're nearly done. All that's left is to securely fasten the foglights in place using a set of 4 screws/washes/nuts that you purchased yourself already (the black ones im sure can work, we just found them too small since the holes in the frame that the foglights fasten to are unthreaded). Attach the turn signals the same way you took them off (using that 1 screw from the inside of the bumper near the grill and a phillips screwdriver, and the end result of all your wiring and installing the foglights should be this:

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thanks for all the info. One more question though, what are these "retro's" people are speaking of? How are they different?

Man, that actually looks like a lot of work....heh.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
A 'retrofit' is when you install HID projectors and bulbs into the stock lamp housing (ie 'retro').

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the info. One more question though, what are these "retro's" people are speaking of? How are they different?

Man, that actually looks like a lot of work....heh.
"retros" are short for retrofitted headlights. the process entails taking the projectors and HID lighting components from other cars and cutting out the reflectors in our headlights to fit them in. they have 10x better lighting than the stock halogens.

do you see how these are different from your stock headlights? search 'retrofit' or go into the 5th gen forum and go into the retrofit thread. You'll find tons of pics and everything you need to know.

edit:

if you want some USDM fogs (like in the picture above)..i suggest you jump on these NOW!

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306840

pending on pics of course, but that's a hell of a deal.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,277 Posts
Welcome to PreludePower!

If you're anything like me- you want some sweet looking add-ons, but don't want to break the bank doing so. I just retrofitted a pair of projector fog lights in my car two days ago- instead of buying the USDM or the JDM fog lights, i made my own setup. While this isn't exactly an easy stunt to pull off, if you take your time and are somewhat tech savvy you can do the same thing i did.

I'm debating whether or not i should do a full writeup on this- i took pictures every step of the way except with the wiring part. If it would benifit you, i'll gladly do it for you.

Here's my car, with the fogs. (They still need a little adjustment) They look like the USDM fog lights, only a little different...

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Welcome to PreludePower!

If you're anything like me- you want some sweet looking add-ons, but don't want to break the bank doing so. I just retrofitted a pair of projector fog lights in my car two days ago- instead of buying the USDM or the JDM fog lights, i made my own setup. While this isn't exactly an easy stunt to pull off, if you take your time and are somewhat tech savvy you can do the same thing i did.

I'm debating whether or not i should do a full writeup on this- i took pictures every step of the way except with the wiring part. If it would benifit you, i'll gladly do it for you.

Here's my car, with the fogs. (They still need a little adjustment) They look like the USDM fog lights, only a little different...

what projectors did you use? A write up would benefit the community greatly, especially since there isn't a fog retro writeup that I know of.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm, it sounds like a relativiely cheap investment, but it may be a while before I get to it; unfortuantely, I have some other things on my plate right now.

That is a good deal, but I think I would go with JDM's. How come I don't see the USDM fogs on any cars(such as from the dealer/factory)? Were they not available at first? Or were they just really unpopular; I didn't even know they exist, never seen them on a lude.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
They were accessories that you could add on; just like the OEM lip kit.

With a high price tag on a Prelude not many owners added this.

Here is a side by side shot of the JDM (L) and OEM (R)

Sorry it's an Iphone pic, but it gives a good look at the out put of them. Also both have retro headlights

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,277 Posts
what projectors did you use? A write up would benefit the community greatly, especially since there isn't a fog retro writeup that I know of.
I just found some on eBay that did the trick. Normally i'm very wary of eBay parts... :suspect: I guess for the $25 they cost, i had to at least give it a shot.

Here's a pic of what i used:

If you look for "Projector Fog Lights" on eBay, there's a company that sells them. I was pleased with the quality for what they cost. Just plan on doing your own wiring harness... the one that came with the lights was a joke.

·
Registered
476 Posts
JDM fogs = :top:

JDM fogs w/Yellow Lamin-X = :smilejap:

JDM fogs w/Yellow Lamin-X + 3000K HID = PRICELESS
I'm gonna have to dispute that and say that yellow capsules are better. The capsules have a nicer yellow to them and, I'd much rather have the lenses on my fogs be clear still.

Hmmm, it sounds like a relativiely cheap investment, but it may be a while before I get to it; unfortuantely, I have some other things on my plate right now.
Fogs are actually pretty expensive unless you find a rare steal. Like someone said before they are generally around $350 upwards for JDMs and $250 new for USDMs.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
my 2cents :)
jdm+4300k

1 - 20 of 20 Posts