Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1989 Si Fog Lights

I know it must be in the threads somewhere but I could not find it.

I have a 1989 Si 4WS with fog lights. I wanted to replace the drivers side bulb since it doesn't work. I have a spare passenger side fog light but can not figure out how to get the bulb out. The wiring will not fit through the housing of the fog light and the bulb does not seem to want to come out of its housing.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
redhonda said:
I know it must be in the threads somewhere but I could not find it.

I have a 1989 Si 4WS with fog lights. I wanted to replace the drivers side bulb since it doesn't work. I have a spare passenger side fog light but can not figure out how to get the bulb out. The wiring will not fit through the housing of the fog light and the bulb does not seem to want to come out of its housing.

Any ideas?
Nobody has any ideas for this??

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Unaturally Aspired said:
NO!!!
DO NOT CLICK THAT LINK!!!

That thread isn't supposed to be about getting the bulbs out, but like 10 people jacked it.:wzbigcry:
I already got another one from a junker, I need to know how to replace the bulb !!!! Why is this so hard to get??!?!?!?! Surely someone on this forum has repaced the bulbs on a 1989 prelude foglight before without replacing the entite foglight set up?

Unaturally Aspired said:
NO!!!
DO NOT CLICK THAT LINK!!!

That thread isn't supposed to be about getting the bulbs out, but like 10 people jacked it.:wzbigcry:
Someone will come through with the info I am sure !! I can't get the bulb disconnected from the wiring withour wrecking the bulb. I have it out of the foglight housing already.

·
Registered
289 Posts
See the "wire" on the assembly on the right? This holds the bulb into the unit with tension. You would hold this by the little loop piece, pull it down and hook it under part of the round lip (or unhook it to release the bulb). This wire tension piece presses against the bulb itself which has a metal roud "plate" attached to the bulb. If after you lift up the tension wire and the bulb does not come out, it's prolly rusted on. You'll have to pry it up or mebbee hit with with some PB blaster or something.

There is only 1 wire connecting the bulb. (The power lead) The circuit is grounded via the entire housing assembly to the body.

There is a factory 'plug and play' hanrness that holds the power lead. But there should also be a portion of the bulb's wire that is covered with a plastic sheath. Under this sheath is a simple electrical connection that is just pushed together.

FYI - The bulbs in the standard factory fog lights for the 89 Si are similar to the pic below. The glass and metal are part of the bulb. Don't try to pry out the glass part if you're replacing a burned out bulb. The replacement bulb should look like this pic except it will also have a single wire coming off of it with a simple electical "slide" connector.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
There isn't a slide connector though.

What I would do would be to cut the wire and solder it on to the new one.
Dunno if that's the proper way, but it would work.
Here's a pic I just took of the back of the bulb:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unaturally Aspired said:
There isn't a slide connector though.

What I would do would be to cut the wire and solder it on to the new one.
Dunno if that's the proper way, but it would work.
Here's a pic I just took of the back of the bulb:

Finally someone that is on the same page as me !!!
I can not upload pictures so this last one is very good. It is the same as mine and there is no way of getting that bulb away from the wiring without cutting the wiring and the reconnecting the wiring to a new bulb. Does everyone agree with that or IS there a way of separating the bulb from the wiring without cutting the wiring?
Thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
Follow that white lead back about 4" or so. There will be a fabric "sheath" that covers up a simple spade terminal connection. The replacement bulb will have a lead attached with a brand new spade terminal on it. You just have to unsnap it from the old bulb, and connect it to the lead on the new one.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Black88GTA said:
Follow that white lead back about 4 - 6" or so. There will be a fabric "sheath" that covers up a simple bullet connection. The replacement bulb will have a lead attached with a brand new bullet connector on it. You just have to unsnap it from the old bulb, and connect it to the lead on the new one.
WAHOOO i found it ! It is under the white sheath like you said. Thanks so much !!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
valenburg said:
i could have told you that...lol
I knew someone would have the answer eventually. That is why i like preludepower.com !!

Red 89 2.0 Si 4WS 149,000 miles and another 200,000 to go !

·
Registered
840 Posts
dammit, just got me some new foglights , intalled and everything but everytime i turn them on ONE of them burns out....the left one ( driver's side) WTF? theres no short on the positive....why does this happen?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts