Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Yes I searched...

I have a 90 2.0 SI. I collected a fog switch and the fog lamps (and the 88-89 yellow inserts :) ), my question now is how do I wire the switch? Is there a relay like the 4th gens? I found this

http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/media/manuals/PreludeManual/62sf121/16-17.pdf

And it doesn't look like there is a relay anywhere... I saw the write up in the sticky. but it doesn't mention how to wire up the switch...so uh, how do I wire up the switch?

Any info would be nice.

·
Administrator
17,736 Posts
The easiest way to do it would be to run a power wire from the battery to one side of the switch, and a wire from the other side of the switch to the + wire on the fogs, then ground the - wire from the fogs.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, sweet. So no relay exists and its simple as pie. Thanks.

another question since that was simple...are third gen sidemarkers the same as any other honda sidemarker or am I gonna have to hunt down a UK member to find me some in the junkyard haha?

·
Administrator
17,736 Posts
There definitely IS a relay, but there's no advantage to having it (in my opinion).

And JDM/UK 3rd gen lude sidemarkers are the same as some other honda ones, like JDM CRX and EF civics sidemarkers. There are always some on ebay.

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
There is a definite advantage to having a relay in the circuit if you plan on using the stock fog light switch. Without getting into too much detail, the stock switch is not designed to interrupt the amount of current that is flowing through the circuit when the fogs are on, and will fail much sooner if a relay is not used. Honda designed the circuit with a relay to protect the contacts inside the switch. This goes for the contacts in the headlight switch too.

Engineers design circuits with relays in order to protect the contact inside the switch from the resulting arc that occurs when the current is interrupted. They will use relays with contacts that are designed to hold up to the types of abuse that will occur when interrupting the rated current for the particular circuit being designed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok...then where is the relay located on a 90? I don't see one on the wiring diagram...

Search mentioned it being behind the dead pedal or something?

Anyone using a stock switch wired the way Danny mentioned have any info on that? Like any trouble?

And thanks again for that little tidbit. That should be mentioned under the lighting sticky...save a lot of people some searching

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Actually, I am the person who wrote the foglight rewire article years ago. The whole idea was to keep things as stock as possible meaning no extra switches, you still get the warning chime if you leave the fog lights on by mistake, and the dashboard foglight switch works as normal.

Many many people have carried out this simple procedure with few problems.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I got some fogs off of my donor car and my wiring harness didn't have the connections for the fog lights. So I made my own harness for the fogs. I got some small wire loam about 1/4" something like that. I tapped into the back of the interior fuse box where the fogs are supposed to be hooked up to and ran a wire up to the switch along the main harness. Use some wire ties to keep everything clean. On the lights, I soldered the grounds together and then grounded them at the ground location where the Cruise Control goes. The power wire, I soldered both lights together and ran the wire into the cabin and ran it up to the switch. I used factory pins to run though each wire connector up under the dash. Almost looks stock. I used 14ga wire for the fogs.

I'll try to get some pictures if that will help but I can't get to my car until this weekend. If I'm lucky. I'm remodeling my house at the moment. sucks.

Good luck.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just did this today.

thanks for the help. Turns out I pulled the bumper and one plug was there. then I pulled the swictch up, and my dead button had the connector in it, doing nothing. All I did was splice the existing plug to the side without it and the switch and everything was already wired. :)

Yellow bulbs with the yellow capsules look sick. thanks again, next up side markers!

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Actually, I am the person who wrote the foglight rewire article years ago. The whole idea was to keep things as stock as possible meaning no extra switches, you still get the warning chime if you leave the fog lights on by mistake, and the dashboard foglight switch works as normal.

Many many people have carried out this simple procedure with few problems.
Btw, dano, thanks for that article. I found out what the mystery light bulb is under the center area where the shifter is. On my 88 Si 5-sp and 89 Si auto, the bulb and wire were not attached properly. The light was just dangling under there.

That light should be the ash tray light. You probably already know this but I didn't until I opened the ash tray on my 88 S lude. It does not dim with the dimmer switch. For some reason, I've found that my shifter lights dim with the dimmer switch, which may or may not be ok for a relay. idk, just a bit of info I found.

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Just did this today.

thanks for the help. Turns out I pulled the bumper and one plug was there. then I pulled the swictch up, and my dead button had the connector in it, doing nothing. All I did was splice the existing plug to the side without it and the switch and everything was already wired. :)

Yellow bulbs with the yellow capsules look sick. thanks again, next up side markers!
Glad you got it figured out. That's exactly what I did on the two 89 S's I used to own. But I also had to install the relay into the stock location. It was very handy having almost all the wiring there from the factory.:colgate: Still not sure why they ran all the necessary wiring except for the one side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts