Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well gonna have to get the front fenders repainted....

Washed and waxed the lude tonight.

Started waxing at around 7 tonight.

Dry car.

Sun setting.

Applied wax to entire car, then went back and buffed. No problem on entire car, except there are two massive areas on both front fenders that have the texture of sandpaper now.

WTF?!?

I buffed my ass off to no avail. It's as if there was never any sort of clear coat ever there. As if someone had krylon'd the car its factory color. And not the entire fender mind you. It almost looks like they were taped off seeing as parts of the area have straight edges.

Sure as hell didn't notice it when I was washing the car, so it had to be the wax.

Meguiars Gold Class.

AVOID IT.

Goodbye rims/tires for the 3rd gen. 5th fenders now need to be redone.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I'm confused, you don't remember if the fenders were repainted since you've owned it? Have you ever waxed the fenders before? I doubt it's the wax dude, Meguire's, that's all I use.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
You can get your fendes paint matched for WAY less than 200.

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
edge2lyfe said:
I'm confused, you don't remember if the fenders were repainted since you've owned it? Have you ever waxed the fenders before? I doubt it's the wax dude, Meguire's, that's all I use.
Of course I know, just can't remember when.

I got the fenders sprayed in approximately 01 b/c my hood got dinged from a shopping cart, and again in 05 b/c when my lip kit was installed, the mudflaps came off. Underneath the flaps looked like total ass.

Fast forward at least 6 months, and here we are.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
admit it.... you just suck at waxing:flipa:

seriously, that sucks to hear, i hate finding things wrong with my car.. its never fun... good luck

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Hprelude5R said:
Of course I know, just can't remember when.

I got the fenders sprayed in approximately 01 b/c my hood got dinged from a shopping cart, and again in 05 b/c when my lip kit was installed, the mudflaps came off. Underneath the flaps looked like total ass.

Fast forward at least 6 months, and here we are.
Well that sucks, so this will be the third time getting them repainted. Has the body shop been good at matching up the paint?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Waxing my car is an 8 step process. Takes ~12 hours or so.

·
Registered
343 Posts
are you crazy, 12 hours????? wax on wax off dude. i was a detailer for 2 years and did porsches and jags and vettes and never once spent more than an hour and a half even on the nicest cars. its definately got something to do with the body work they did on your car. ive waxed like 500 different cars and never saw that once. but when we asked if they want a wax we asked if they had their car painted recently, and if they said less than 6 weeks we couldnt take it. id bring it back to the body place and ask for it to get redone.

with a 10" buffer it takes me 30 minutes to do my car.

·
Wonder Bread
1,905 Posts
bluedlude said:
not really supposed to wax a newly painted car for like 6 weeks....

wiat, is it a new paint job on the front? prolly had something to do with body work.
yeah my guy said 3 months (1 month before i should touch the paint and 1 month before i was it and the 3 months he said was the latest because of the heat from outside it would shorten the time it would take

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
bluedlude said:
are you crazy, 12 hours????? wax on wax off dude. i was a detailer for 2 years and did porsches and jags and vettes and never once spent more than an hour and a half even on the nicest cars. its definately got something to do with the body work they did on your car. ive waxed like 500 different cars and never saw that once. but when we asked if they want a wax we asked if they had their car painted recently, and if they said less than 6 weeks we couldnt take it. id bring it back to the body place and ask for it to get redone.

with a 10" buffer it takes me 30 minutes to do my car.
I've also been a professional detailer for a couple years and even with hand waxing it only takes about an hour to do an entire car, cleaner wax and then a finish wax and final buffing (by hand!).

I wax my lude every 6-8 weeks but it doesn't stay outside in the sun and rain...if it did I'd wax it every 3-4 weeks with a non abrasive wax like mequiers final step wax, and then apply silicone rubber protectant to the trim every time I waxed!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
JLude said:
I've also been a professional detailer for a couple years and even with hand waxing it only takes about an hour to do an entire car, cleaner wax and then a finish wax and final buffing (by hand!).

I wax my lude every 6-8 weeks but it doesn't stay outside in the sun and rain...if it did I'd wax it every 3-4 weeks with a non abrasive wax like mequiers final step wax, and then apply silicone rubber protectant to the trim every time I waxed!
Good man, unfortunately my car is out in the sun and rain, so I wax the hood, top and trunk lid every month and the sides, bumpers every 2 months. BTW, I'm curious about cleaner waxes, how do I know I need cleaner wax, which brand(s) would you recommened and how often do you apply?

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
edge2lyfe said:
Good man, unfortunately my car is out in the sun and rain, so I wax the hood, top and trunk lid every month and the sides, bumpers every 2 months. BTW, I'm curious about cleaner waxes, how do I know I need cleaner wax, which brand(s) would you recommened and how often do you apply?
If you wax it that often you should never need a cleaner wax (except maybe to take the bugs off the front bumper/front of hood)

Cleaner waxes have a slightly abrasive compound in them that helps remove light oxidation, bug guts, rough spots in the clear coat, etc. However, it is not good to routinely use cleaner waxes because they do wear down your clear coat!
If you have a car that hasn't been waxed in 6 months or a year (yes some people almost never wax! it's a sin!:devil: ) then it probably needs cleaner wax.

If you wax often you should use a finish wax since it's very easy on the paint. I like the carnuba based finish waxes because they are cheap for frequent waxing and are very mild on the paint as far as abrasion is concerned and they do a good job off repelling the effects of bird droppings, bugs, sun, acid rain, etc.

You can't wax too much with finish wax. you CAN wax too much with cleaner waxes!

- J

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
^^Cool, thanks for the advice JLude. I won't waste my time with the cleaner wax, I don't need it. I've been using a clay bar before waxing, so the suface is pretty much clear of fallout.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I'm just gonna grind mine down to the metal and put clearcoat on it. I'm tired of my water spots. If I keep hitting them with clay bars and rubbing compound I'm gonna run out of paint before I kill the spots.

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 hour? Pft.

I'm a nook and cranny guy. Even a detail shop won't run their fingers in between most seams, such as the lip that runs underneath the trunk.

Also, when I wash my wheels, I typically remove them. More thourough.

I was out there a total of 2.5 hours washing and waxing. That was pretty damn quick for me seeing as I didn't even get into the fine details at all.

As for the questions that arose earlier.

Yes, this will be the 3rd time these fenders have been sprayed. Both times by different shops, and both did an exceptional job of blending/matching.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.