Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is probably a dumb question and I think I already know the answer, but....
Can any other Honda flywheels bolt up to the A-series engines? You know, like how Chevy did their small-blocks and have so many parts interchange? I know most internals/parts don't interchange with any other series of Honda engines with the A's, but has anyone tried bolting on a flywheel from, like maybe a D-series or something? I'm looking for a cheaper way to lighten the flywheel/clutch without trying to find/buy an aluminum flywheel specifically for our A's....

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Ok, this is probably a dumb question and I think I already know the answer, but....
Can any other Honda flywheels bolt up to the A-series engines? You know, like how Chevy did their small-blocks and have so many parts interchange? I know most internals/parts don't interchange with any other series of Honda engines with the A's, but has anyone tried bolting on a flywheel from, like maybe a D-series or something? I'm looking for a cheaper way to lighten the flywheel/clutch without trying to find/buy an aluminum flywheel specifically for our A's....

The A18 flywheel is smaller than the A20 flywheel and fits up the same. You could also just have the stock flywheel cut down.

C|

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
flywheel

Clutchnet do an ally flywheel but to be honest having the stock one machine is cheaper and stronger option if you use a ceramic puck disk, if you are going to use organic and engine power isn't going to be too insane then the ally clutchnet one will be ok maybe too light for what you want? THe stock one you can pretty much go from 12lb's in weight to 8-9lbs if you take it to the extreme. I'm going to have my old one drilled as well as re turned on the lathe as it wasn't as pretty as the one i recently had done cost me a bit of money to have done but there was a lot of work involved, should be cheaper this time as most the metal is off my old one just needs little bit of shaving and some drilling to it to make it about 8lb in weight. The one i had done was bang on 10lb pics are on my myspace page if you have this done and want to use the Clutchnet clutch kits you need to copy the inside of my flywheel or the disk will not fit. D series won't fit i tried that think it uses the same clutch so it's going to be the same only to find out that the D series only uses 6 bolts to hold it on and ours use 8!!! SO stuck with a D series ZC flywheel for life now!! lol!! Really should try and ebay that bitch but it's so pretty might turn it into a click!!

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's kinda what I figured. I didn't think any other series engine's flywheel would interchange but it was a thought. I think I'll have to pick up another flywheel for my A18 and have it drilled and machined then. I'm not going for an insane amount of power out of it so the Clutchnet one sounds like an interesting idea. How are they as far as price and how well do they hold up to punishment? Keep in mind I do AutoX my 2g.... ;)

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Flywheel

Just get some shaved off your stock one then if you can find a decent machinist who can do a good job!!

For those who haven't seen what a good quality stock flywheel thats been lightened should olook like heres the pics.

The middle of the inside needs plenty taking out of the stock wheel due to the oversize beefiness of the clutch net clutch kit but once you got the clearance you won't have any issues also removing this area makes it lighter!! hehe!!

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks nice, Rich! Now to find a spare A18 and get some spare parts... ;)

·
Registered
820 Posts
If you're interested, I'll be selling my Clutchnet flywheel in the next couple weeks when the ES finally comes out of my Accord. I'm not going to have any more use for it, so I figure it should go to someone who could use it. It's only got about 15,000-20,000 miles on it. I'll throw in the clutch and pressure plate too which have lots of life left on them, but I will admit the clutch itself does chatter a tiny bit, so I dunno if you'd wanna use it or not. I would just give them to you anyways... But the 9lb flywheel rocks!

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're interested, I'll be selling my Clutchnet flywheel in the next couple weeks when the ES finally comes out of my Accord. I'm not going to have any more use for it, so I figure it should go to someone who could use it. It's only got about 15,000-20,000 miles on it. I'll throw in the clutch and pressure plate too which have lots of life left on them, but I will admit the clutch itself does chatter a tiny bit, so I dunno if you'd wanna use it or not. I would just give them to you anyways... But the 9lb flywheel rocks!
Sweet! PM me and let me know how much you want for the whole works! :p

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
clutch

The small chatter is just cause the plate and disk are hardcore mine does was 10 times worse when new though it's bedded in and acceptable now only does it when you try and baby the clutch to engage if you just quick shift it's fine!! Awesome clutch not had any issues yet!! And having the lighter fly will help you pick up some speed on the auto cross, what i would do is if it is the A18 box aka wider casing and gears, look for a teggy box and then a OBX lsd from 99-00 Civic SI stick those parts into your A18 box from 2nd gen guy and that would be killer on Auto X but keep the A18 5th gear for motorway cruising so you don't kill you economy!! lol!! What are the mods on your engine again??

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Parts

Should do as long as you have the late revision tranny used in A20/A18 with the wider gear casing, worse case scenario only the LSD will fit from the post i say on a 3G civic forum you have to take a tiny amount of ally off the casing on the inside as the OBX diff has some bolts that stick out a couple of mm and contact, but from the pics i say it's an easy 5 minute job with a dremel and sanding drum, just have to cover up the bearings and do a thorough clean up don't won't bits of ally in the gearbox when you put it back together!! The teg box is the same as the late A20/A18 trannies just the flywheel is different same story with the B18A tranny but they are only in japan, at least you can still find the odd 1st gen Acura Teggy where you are, in U.K. pretty common as we had the TEggy and Civic CRX with the ZC so wasn't too hard to find for me.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
ok not to be pain but how can i identify the tranny i need. i a few a18 tranny's but i dont remmeber what years they came out of. is there a number or a measuremnt i can look for? i know i have two 85 a18 ones but im not sure about the others.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
gearbox casings

Hmmm well the easiest way is to measure the width of the gearbox casing from the bellhousing gasket to the gasket on the tin plate, the later ones are wider as are all the gears inside, check them all to see if they are the same width of the top of my head i can't remember the size when i get a chance i will try and get some measurements of my teg box and an early model tranny it's about 5 mm wider if i remember correctly but can't remember the overall width of either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts