Honda Prelude Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
12,918 Posts
Mine still does it, rarely. It mostly happens in summer when it's hot out.
I had the ignition recall done also but bought a new ignition switch anyways just to check but it does the same thing.
I'm 90% sure it's the immobilizer unit.

The problem I'm having with testing it is that it's an intermittent problem, it never happens when you want it to and always happens where you really don't want it to.

Also, even if I did figure out that it was the immobilizer, I still wouldn't replace it since it would cost several hundred dollars just to fix an intermittent rare problem.

Brand new Immobilizer with keys is 205$.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=PRELUDE&catcgry2=1998&catcgry3=2DR+TYPESH&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=COMBINATION+SWITCH
Add the cost of cutting the keys so they work with your door/trunk locks and reprogramming the ecu so it works with the new immobilizer. Also if you have Honda install it for you (the immobilizer) it'll cost more.
So look at about 300-350$ just for that one problem.
All this of course if the problem is the immobilizer unit.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Update

Stereo was right, the immobilizer was still operating as a starter kill. The car started when I applied 12+ to the starter solenoid. The immobilizer light still blinks but I know the car won't leave me stranded. My quick fix was to unplug my exterior fog light harness and run a jumper wire to my starter solenoid.

So now I have a "fog light" start button. I ran a larger gauge fog light wire when I installed them last summer so I'm not worried about burning it up.

Luckily a buddy loaned me his Xterra while he's out of town so I won't be driving the car. This weekend I'll track down a heated garage space and rip the steering column apart and see if I can track the problem down. I'll start with cleaning all the contact and grounds and resoldering any joints.

dear god i though i had problems lol good luck dude - hoping for the best
wow thats crazy wish u good luck
Thanks, I've dealt with wiring problem on many cars so its really nothing new to me. I just wish it wasn't so bloody cold outside. I used to have 24/7 access to a warm mechanic bay with a lift. I quit that job as a grease monkey to get get an education and now I'm an Engineer. Problem is I've seen too many incompetent car mechanics and I hate paying someone to do something I would prefer to do myself. Next year I'll be in the market for a house with room for a 3 car garage and lift.. Sorry, enough of my ranting.

Mine still does it, rarely. It mostly happens in summer when it's hot out.
I had the ignition recall done also but bought a new ignition switch anyways just to check but it does the same thing.
I'm 90% sure it's the immobilizer unit.

The problem I'm having with testing it is that it's an intermittent problem, it never happens when you want it to and always happens where you really don't want it to.

Also, even if I did figure out that it was the immobilizer, I still wouldn't replace it since it would cost several hundred dollars just to fix an intermittent rare problem.

Brand new Immobilizer with keys is 205$.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=PRELUDE&catcgry2=1998&catcgry3=2DR+TYPESH&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=COMBINATION+SWITCH
Add the cost of cutting the keys so they work with your door/trunk locks and reprogramming the ecu so it works with the new immobilizer. Also if you have Honda install it for you (the immobilizer) it'll cost more.
All this of course if the problem is the immobilizer unit.
Thanks LudaPower for the info and link. The part breakdown was a big help! How much CND did you pay for your ignition switch?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts

·
12,918 Posts
Update
Thanks LudaPower for the info and link. The part breakdown was a big help! How much CND did you pay for your ignition switch?
I paid about 40-50$ canadian for the ignition switch from here:
http://www.hondapartscheap.com/southbay/jsp/catlistallcomp.jsp?vinnosrch=&catcgry5=&inputstate=3&catcgry1=PRELUDE&catcgry2=1998&catcgry3=2DR TYPESH&catcgry4=KA5MT
Watch out for there shipping prices though.. they're through the roof for canadian residents.

You do know that you can test the immobilizer right? If yours does it often enough, it would be possible to test.
http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/
Get the Electrical manual and go to the bottom most pages. You'll find the immobilizer test section there.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
[/quote]Brand new Immobilizer with keys is 205$.
All this of course if the problem is the immobilizer unit.[/quote]

yea dude i jsut had this done - thats the right price about - but if you have to get new keys forget that - your lookin at a min. of 450 excluding tax

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
the immobilizer is under the dash mounted to the left of the steering colum all you have to do is poke your head under the dash and look it's a black 2" x 2" square box with a white sticker on it with a Fcc id and Honda lock printed on it and is held in with 2 10mm bolts with a grey plug and a white plug. the 2 wires are a lite blue and the grey wire cut and connect together and leave the gray plug unpluged so the green light won't flash anymore.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
the immobilizer is under the dash mounted to the left of the steering colum all you have to do is poke your head under the dash and look it's a black 2" x 2" square box with a white sticker on it with a Fcc id and Honda lock printed on it and is held in with 2 10mm bolts with a grey plug and a white plug. the 2 wires are a lite blue and the grey wire cut and connect together and leave the gray plug unpluged so the green light won't flash anymore.

Thats exactly what I ended up doing. Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
79 Posts
there is another solution on the market that i've found on honda-tech you can just simply unsolder the immobilizer part in the ECU then install a chip from a website that will disable the immobilizer for good and it cost about 35 euro plus shipping. I just bought it this week and ill install it as soon as i receive it. My car isnt starting at this moment because of this freaking immobilizer module ....

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
there is another solution on the market that i've found on honda-tech you can just simply unsolder the immobilizer part in the ECU then install a chip from a website that will disable the immobilizer for good and it cost about 35 euro plus shipping. I just bought it this week and ill install it as soon as i receive it. My car isnt starting at this moment because of this freaking immobilizer module ....
yes it's the mobilizer board A0 from doctronics it disables the immobilizer inside the ECU that locks out fuel and spark. all you have to do is enable the starter .

·
Registered
1 Posts
That makes sense. If its only the starter kill then I should be able to start the car by connecting the starter solenoid to 12+ with the key in the on position. I'll try that and then hunt down the blue and gray wires from the immobilizer.
Okay I connected the grey and blue wire together and left it unplug green key went away it turn over but now I have no spark but if I take the negative off the battery and touch it on and off the battery my coil spark how I fix that now

21 - 33 of 33 Posts