Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ignition switch as stopped reading my keys. I have a 97 base model. I insert my key and turn it to the Run position. Everything lights up as normal but my immobilizer light flashes continually and there is a beeping coming from the inside fuse panel. No dice when the key is turned to the Start position.

This happened Thursday night but I was able to tilt the steering wheel up and down several times and the car started. Friday morning the car started no problem. I drove to work noting that I would need to call Honda and see if the ignition recall had been preformed on my car. Well that afternoon leaving work I got the flashing green light of death but this time it wouldn't read my key no matter what I did. I tilted the wheel, gave it some love taps, tied my extra key, put a heat gun to the ignition (its -30c here in Winnipeg) and even promised my car to give it new paint job this summer. No dice.

So my car and I are stuck at work. I called my local Honda dealership and they have no record of any recalls for my car. They told me I would have to contact Honda Canada to verify if there where any. By this time Honda Canada is closed. The Honda Owners group webpage won't accept my Canadian VIN number. I feel repressed! I'm a Honda owner too....

I searched through this and other forums for any information I could. I picked up on a couple things. A Tech should have punched my engine bay VIN if the ignition recall has been done right? I'll have to check to see if that is done.

I would take the ignition apart and clean all the contacts and springs if it wasn't so bloody cold outside and my car wasn't engulfed in a 2 foot snow drift at work. (Don't worry the block heater is plugged in and the engine is all toasty warm.)

To get my car home, can I just turn the key to Run and jump the starter solidnoid to start the engine or does the immobilizer kill spark as well. I can hear the fuel pump prime when the car is turned on.

I'm kicking myself for not ordering my OBD2a - OBD1 conversion harness sooner as I have a chipped P72 ECU sitting next to me. That would solve all my problems.

I'm looking for any advice, info or pity that anyone is willing to give me.

·
_
2,494 Posts
pity +1 =[ my car does this same problem in the heat. my mechanic tells me it's loose connections on a solder on this one thing. one day i'll get it fixed, but it's very intermittent. like all the problems im having with this 98 base of mine.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
i was wondering if u r the second owner of the 5th gen lude , can u just go to any honda dealership and they will do the recall for u for free no questions ask?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
i was wondering if u r the second owner of the 5th gen lude , can u just go to any honda dealership and they will do the recall for u for free no questions ask?
Yes. They have to do the recall regardless of who owns the vehicle. It's a safety issue.

Thanks, but that website refuses to accept Canadian VIN numbers. It gives an error of "Invalid VIN" for any Canadian Prelude. Ask Ludapower he had the same problem.
Yeah, sorry. The "A" in AHM Ownerlink stands for American. (American Honda Motors Ownerlink) I didn't realize you were from Cananda. You can call your local dealership and give them the VIN and they can tell you if the ignition switch recall has been done.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honda Canada was very helpful but alas it seems that the ignition recall has been performed on my car as it does not show as outstanding. Dammit...:confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
yeh any dealer will do it. i just called my local one in montreal and they checked for me even though the car is from ontario originaly

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
have you tried to start the car with only the ignition and no other key on the ring or put the spare one against the black ignition ring (antenna) my guess is it's either a bad antenna ring around the ignition switch or connection to immobilizer unit or bad immobilizer unit either one is a pain and expensive and the system will cut the starter , spark and zero out the injector pulse so the fuel pump will prime but no fuel is injected into the cylinders... if you can get the imobilizer to see your keys again you can buy a bypass unit from DEI it's the 555D it will learn the code from your key so the immobilizer unit isin't needed after the key is learned but it would have to be able to read the key ...another thing you can ask your dealer for is the 5 digit immobilizer brake overide code..if you can get that it will allow you to drive the car with a standard non immobilizer key..

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update!

After installing my OBD1 ECU my green immobilizer light still lights up? Is there something else I need to do to "disarm" my immobilizer?

The first couple times I tried to start the car with the new ECU the immobilize light continued to flash as it did with the stock ECU. I was worried that I bought a bum chipped P72. I tried it again the light didn't flash and the car started. Turning the key off after the car was running and the immobilizer light flashes 5 times? I tried it a couple more times and the car started 3 out of 4 attempts.

It seems like the car is still trying to read the key as then the immoblilizer light flashes it won't start?

Anyone have any insight into my problem?

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
After installing my OBD1 ECU my green immobilizer light still lights up? Is there something else I need to do to "disarm" my immobilizer?

The first couple times I tried to start the car with the new ECU the immobilize light continued to flash as it did with the stock ECU. I was worried that I bought a bum chipped P72. I tried it again the light didn't flash and the car started. Turning the key off after the car was running and the immobilizer light flashes 5 times? I tried it a couple more times and the car started 3 out of 4 attempts.

It seems like the car is still trying to read the key as then the immoblilizer light flashes it won't start?

Anyone have any insight into my problem?
yes the immobilizer is still there under the dash on the driver's side you have to bypass the starter kill by shorting the blue and the grey wire together to enable the starter.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
switching to a different ecu practically makes the immobilizer useless, from what i've heard. It should start up regardless. If the immobilizer is still doing its job with an obd1 ecu, then thats good i guess lol.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Test your battery too. I am having this problem every once and a while and its my battery. The car still starts fine but the battery is reading 253cca not 500cca.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes the immobilizer is still there under the dash on the driver's side you have to bypass the starter kill by shorting the blue and the grey wire together to enable the starter.
That makes sense. If its only the starter kill then I should be able to start the car by connecting the starter solenoid to 12+ with the key in the on position. I'll try that and then hunt down the blue and gray wires from the immobilizer.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts