Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a 1990 prelude that has got a rod knock that I want to fix. The crankshaft is only alittle scratched up so I'm pretty sure I can get some 800grit sandpaper on that to smooth it down. But what I'm really worried about is the crank shaft journal is worn down so much that the radius of it must of gotten smaller so I've been told to get over sized bearings to fix this properly. My question is how do I determine what size of over sized bearings to get?

·
Premium Member
16,865 Posts
Ive got a 1990 prelude that has got a rod knock that I want to fix. The crankshaft is only alittle scratched up so I'm pretty sure I can get some 800grit sandpaper on that to smooth it down. But what I'm really worried about is the crank shaft journal is worn down so much that the radius of it must of gotten smaller so I've been told to get over sized bearings to fix this properly. My question is how do I determine what size of over sized bearings to get?
Take a caliper to it and measure, then go to your parts store and order the appropriate over sized bearings.

If its too far out, then your crank is shot.

Time to look for another crank(which will be very hard to find) or purchase a JDM motor(another hard motor to find) and swap it out.

Or

You can just save up and get a swap kit for: H22/23 or F22/23/20b
Or B16/18/20b kits.

And choose your liking of what motor you want as your daily/power driver train(I recommend the H22/23 so much fun)

Email me for details on the swap kits. Email is in my sig below.

·
Memento Mori
7,511 Posts
A common caliper isn't going to be accurate enough. What you need is called a micrometer, looks like this:

To measure the rod big end you need a bore gauge:

Otherwise the brute force way of doing it is buying several different colour (size) bearings from Honda. Then you install one set at a time, use plastigauge to check the clearance, and keep switching out bearing sets until you get the right clearance.

The big problem doing it that way is that without checking things with the micrometer and bore gauge you have no way of knowing if they are out of round or not.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
It won't work.

I tried it once, kinda thought I could get away with it. You're going to need a new crank or to get the crank professionally reground.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya I've been told that too. I kinda want to try and save as much as possible with this but if I have to fork out some $ to fix it properly then that's OK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts