Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased a 1992 Honda Prelude Si in late October from a private owner for $800, it just needed a little "tlc". The car had 106,000 original miles on it, it is Sebring Silver (faded badly), manual transmission, with working a/c and heater.

So far I have performed the following on the car:

Replaced the front windshield
Replaced the rear window (was busted out when I purchased the car)
Installed a single din cd player
Changed the oil
Changed the transmission fluid
Performed a coolant flush
Changed out the spark plugs and wires
Bled the clutch
Bled the brakes
Installed HID's
Cleaned the air filter on the short ram intake that came with the car
Currently replacing every gasket and seal in the head (as the valve steam seals were leaking)
Oh, and I vaccumed the hell out of the interior, glass was everywhere from the busted back window

Future plans include:

Repainting the car Sebring Silver (with several coats of clear)
Replacing Carbon fiber look Altezza taillights with stock stanleys
Replacing the cheap short ram intake with a stock intake and a K&N drop in filter
Replacing the "touring" tires with some wider, stickier performance tires
And a few ideas that I will keep under my hat for now until I finish them...

I will post some pictures up in the next week or so.... thanks for reading my first thread.

·
Registered
37 Posts
With that mileage I would look and see if the timing belt package has been done. For it is an interference motor. If the t-belt breaks so does the motor. Be sure and replace the balancer seal and the balance seal retainer. The retainer was not installed by the last owner of my car and the balancer seal fell out and oil went everywhere. It sounds like you know what you're doing. take care of that car and you'll get another 100,000 miles out of it. Happy motoring.

I purchased a 1992 Honda Prelude Si in late October from a private owner for $800, it just needed a little "tlc". The car had 106,000 original miles on it, it is Sebring Silver (faded badly), manual transmission, with working a/c and heater.

So far I have performed the following on the car:

Replaced the front windshield
Replaced the rear window (was busted out when I purchased the car)
Installed a single din cd player
Changed the oil
Changed the transmission fluid
Performed a coolant flush
Changed out the spark plugs and wires
Installed HID's
Cleaned the air filter on the short ram intake that came with the car
Currently replacing every gasket and seal in the head (as the valve steam seals were leaking)
Oh, and I vaccumed the hell out of the interior, glass was everywhere from the busted back window

Future plans include:

Repainting the car Sebring Silver (with several coats of clear)
Replacing Carbon fiber look Altezza taillights with stock stanleys
Replacing the cheap short ram intake with a stock intake and a K&N drop in filter
Replacing the "touring" tires with some wider, stickier performance tires
And a few ideas that I will keep under my hat for now until I finish them...

I will post some pictures up in the next week or so.... thanks for reading my first thread.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With that mileage I would look and see if the timing belt package has been done.
When the head was taken off the Timing belt looked very new, as the previous owner told me that it was recently changed. I would not have believed him, but the valve stem seals were shot, just as he told me. Thanks for the heads up, its always good to know that someone is looking out for your best interests.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
^Sounds good! There are 3-4 guys from tucson that are trying to come up, you can probably meet up with them and convoy over to tempe.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
welcome glad to see another tucson person

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, I will try and get some pics up by tomorrow, its been a busy day and I am feeling extra lazy.

On another note, I am looking for another project, I am going to sell my Del Sol and am currently looking for a 3rd gen Prelude with 4WS with a Manual transmission, automatic for the right price... just dont really want to do the swap or 4th gen with a manual transmission.

I found a 3rd gen in Tucson with 4ws that is automatic, straight body, missing a back window, and not running (I think that the head gasket blew just by looking at the engine, but not sure) for $150, but it has a restored salvage title, probably due to theft at one point, because I looked all over the car and it looked like it was never in an accident.

I want a clear title so I can get it fully covered, I had my 97 Civic coupe stolen, stripped, and left on rocks on the same night that my Del Sol was stolen and taken for a joy ride. But thanks to full coverage insurance I am able to take on new projects.

·
The Australian
5,058 Posts
welcome!

can tuna and I burgle your turdz?
yeah that's the way, scare him off straight away! haha

welcome to the site

1 - 20 of 20 Posts