Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey whats up everybody, this week probly on thursday or friday, i will be gettin my 96 prelude...its black...manual...great condition(owned by dealership people)...its got 103,000....and i think its an s not an si....im about to turn 17 and im buying this car by my self(no help from mommy or daddy)...the kbb value is around 7,300 but im payin 6,500...now i have only drivin a manual once and that was when i test drove the car...i did good...well to the point...what should i first do to the car...intake? headers? what...i mean performence wise...i just wanted to know what to start savin up for...what do you guys think would be good to add on so i can keep up with my friend's cars...i want it to sound good and i love goin fast...lol i top out the family mazda mpv minivan at 112mph all the time...so what do you think i should do?????

·
Registered
765 Posts
first of, welcome to the forum. second, stop driving so fast on a minivan. third, if you really want to go fast, dont do anything just yet, that means dont buy an intake, no exhaust, no headers. Just go on the search forum and type in turbo.... see what ideas you can get, who knows you might wanna turbo it, also look up nos, a lot of people talk and say its no good, do some reading, you can also do an si-vtec (si bottom end, vtec head). what im saying is that there are plenty of alternatives, just search. I've given you some ideas, all you need to do is put your thoughs together and come up with an answer of your own.
Enjoy the lude, it'll be very fun to drive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
damn dude sounds good but i dont know bout the turbo just yet...i know for a fact my moms not gonna okay a turbo or nos cuz shes alll worried about the insurence goin up and me goin to fast...she doesnt know much bout headers, intake or exhaust...thats why i figured i do those....does any1 know how fast the 96 s maunal goes stock???

·
Registered
765 Posts
those go 160hp 153 or so torque, and about turbo or nos, she doesnt need to know, haha!! nos you cant really notice that much since its just lines runnin back and foward. I/H/E wont give you much hp, do some search dude, it'll help you a lot.

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
rich045 said:
those go 160hp 153 or so torque, and about turbo or nos, she doesnt need to know, haha!! nos you cant really notice that much since its just lines runnin back and foward. I/H/E wont give you much hp, do some search dude, it'll help you a lot.
He said s, not si. Try around 130ish hp. :)

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
765 Posts
oooooo i didnt see that, boy what the hell was i doing up at 5 in the morning... sorry about that, with an f22a1, you can go shoot yourself in the head, lol jk

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the car you lucky bastard. I wish my lude was my first car.

Anyways, I would say get an H22. It might be a good idea to just save your money for a while and plan out your mods carefully. You will save money in the long run and make fewer mistakes buying mods you really didn't need.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yeah, for that price, you could definitely find an H23 (loads better than the F22) and most likely an H22 too. I'd keep looking if i were you bro. Preludes are definitely awesome for a first car, that's what i chose

·
The Good Stuff
3,587 Posts
Save for an engine swap. If you plan to turbo later on, H23, if you plan on staying N/A, H22 although the turbo H22 isn't bad either ;) I personally reccomend the H22. Good luck man!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Welcome to the site. First up, swap in a H23 or H22, it's all about personal preference really. You can turbo a H22 or a H23, but H23 will be better off with turbo, but for NA it's H22 all the way.

I started out with a 92 Si myself, but I only paid 2k for it (and no, I wasn't mommy funded either :thumbsup:) You're gonna love this car like it was your wife. Hell, if I could marry mine, I probably would. ;)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
welcome to the site and my first car was a 93 si and it had 201xxx miles on it when i bought it and then at 204,781 it spun a bearing so right now i have an h22 in there with 76,000 miles and im just waiting on my header for it to be done. if your gonna plan on makin power unless you wanna boost right away a f22 isnt what you want. So pretty much my suggestion is to either look around and find an SI or VTEC model and start with that for around the same price or cheaper but if ludes arent very common in your area then i would save the first thing you should start saving for is a h22 or h23 swap. GL with what ever you find but you might be able to get the guy to drop the price if you go back and be like well it is the lowest model of the car and i was lookin at a higher model for around the same price he might drop the price another 500-1000, its worth a shot and again GL.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea ima have to keep this one (there are like NO preludes in my area)and save up for an engine swap...i still dont know which one and how much and from where????? any help on that guys?????

·
Registered
217 Posts
im pretty sure any s model prelude after the year 92 came with the h23. after 92 si was just a step up in luxury..speakers,sunroof ext

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea my lude has a sunroof....its possible that it is an si...see im buying this from some dumb soon to be M.I.L.F...the only reason i dont think it is is because it doesnt say DOHC or V-Tec on the engine...she says its an si but does anyone know another way i can tell???

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
96 Prelude NC said:
yea my lude has a sunroof....its possible that it is an si...see im buying this from some dumb soon to be M.I.L.F...the only reason i dont think it is is because it doesnt say DOHC or V-Tec on the engine...she says its an si but does anyone know another way i can tell???
1. Check out the glovebox for any paperwork.
2. Check the engine code on the block.
3. Go to Honda.com and sign up with the owners link. Then enter your vin number.

Just a few ways....take your pick...

As far as modding the car? Keep it clean. Keep it simple.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yeah, check under the hood. if it looks like this:

Then it's the F22 and an S

if it looks like this:

It's the H23.

And yeah, if you see the DOHC VTEC on the valve cover, then it's the H22.

(in a 5th gen, but still the same engine)

(sorry for the crummy pics, just pulled them off ebay)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.