Honda Prelude Forum banner

81 - 100 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
The firewall will be semi-gloss black, along with some lower sections of the bay. For example, under the stock battery location. The rest will be white. I guess it's sort of two-toned but I just thought black would look better with the black cross-member and stuff.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good job! That is a lot of work that will definately pay off when you are done. I am almost at the point of painting my lude. I am going to add some body skirts and then give it a go myself... BIg Up!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
i dont know why no one answered your question..
you should get off all the old paint!

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Primer is on. There was virtually no runs after all 3 coats. I waited 10 minutes after finishing each coat.

Last night it got down in the 20*F. What I did was put those heaters on the metal to be painted and got it all nice and warm. Then I did the primer with the garage door closed to conserve heat. After ventilating the garage out, I put the heaters back in facing the primered surface.

Here is the paints I'm using.

The black is for the firewall. The dark blue is for miscellaneous parts. When I get to the blue, things will start looking really good. Some major parts include the brake booster and the valve cover.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
The primer has been lightly sanded. I'm ready to go and paint it. One question...

When should I remove the painters tape?
Should I do it while the paint is soft/wet? Should I wait until the paint is dry to the touch? Or should I wait until the full curing period has ended (like several days)?

Help and Thanks

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Pics

It turned out great. There was only one small spot of over-spray. The tape didn't stick down quite right there.

Next task is to paint the cross-member-thing and the two lower-front sections of the bay. Then wet-sand with 1000 grit and buff/polish it up. It's so much work, but I think the hardest part is behind me now.

·
Rep me if you hate my ass
4,348 Posts
Lookin' good, Joe. You're going to be really happy with this when it's all done.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Sounds like you are going to be good to go in no time

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
The machinist called today. He claims that if the block is bored (80 over as he calls it) there wouldn't be enough meat left on the cylinder walls.

I tried to reassure him that this has been done before. Still, he just won't do it. I've got to go pick up my stuff this week, hopefully tomorrow.

Anyone know of a decent shop in the Dallas or Hiram area?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I know a great guy in Conyers Ga. He honed my b21 and is the guy that the local Honda dealer jobs out to. He has done several motors (not all Honda's) for me and is reasonable and very knowledgeable.
If you want contact info send me a PM and I will get it to you.
good luck
Russ

Reactions: TripleLude

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)
Things I want to buy and DO actually have the money for.

1) Clutch

How's this for a clutch:
88-89 HONDA PRELUDE ALL 2.0 L RACING STAGE 2 CLUTCH KIT

Horsepower: 270 hp
Torque Capacity: 255 ft/lbs

This complete clutch kit includes:
- Clutch Pressure Plate ( Stage 2 Heavy duty )
- Clutch Disc ( Organic Sport Disc ) ( 213mm x 24 splines )
- Release Bearing ( Genuine Parts )
- Pilot Bearing
- Alignment Tool
2) Valves

I will just replace the exhaust valves. The intake valves cleaned up pretty well, so I'm reusing them.

Stainless exhaust valves. Stronger and mostly more resistant to failure.
Are these the right valves?
http://www.raceeng.com/p-8052-stainless-valvehondab18ab2028m.aspx

The description says "B18A/B20" so I'm not sure if they mean "B20A". I found them after searching for B20A valves. So... from this page:
http://www.raceeng.com/c-3374-valve-train.aspx

*edit*

3) OBD0 to OBD1

Does anyone know if the 1988 Si B20a5 uses MPFI or DPFI wiring for the ECU?

I happen to have one of these:

It's an ECU test harness used to test the stock OBD0 ECU. I just thought it might come in handy in combination with a teggy ECU plug (junk yard). I might just make my own OBD0 to OBD1 conversion harness. I'm pretty good with wiring and it's just a matter of finding the proper diagrams. If it is epic fail, I'll just buy a boomslang.

81 - 100 of 290 Posts