Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes - happens maybe 1 in 10 times - when I turn the ignition the engine will come on, but it idles really low and the Fan runs really really fast.

If I turn the engine off and back on, it usually solves the problem.

Happens in hot weather more often, so I wonder if it is a broken solenoid? I searched but couldn't find anything directly applying to this...

thanks!!

oh, it's a 1989 Prelude si4WS.

this site's awesome. local shop wanted to charge 100$ to fix the "Sunroof Leak" and it took me 10mins after looking at the guide!

·
Registered
482 Posts
It's probably just becuase your engine is hot already. My car did the same thing the other day after about an hour of freeway driving.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Mine does that also, just a bad start. Not sure the source of it, but It doesn't seem to stay. sometimes revving the engine will pull it out also. Probably smarter to turn off car and restart it though lol.

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
You guys do realize that, that is a factory built in process right? All Hondas have that function so that it keeps cooling even after the engine has shut off due to the heat.

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
Sometimes - happens maybe 1 in 10 times - when I turn the ignition the engine will come on, but it idles really low and the Fan runs really really fast.

If I turn the engine off and back on, it usually solves the problem.

Happens in hot weather more often, so I wonder if it is a broken solenoid? I searched but couldn't find anything directly applying to this...

thanks!!

oh, it's a 1989 Prelude si4WS.

this site's awesome. local shop wanted to charge 100$ to fix the "Sunroof Leak" and it took me 10mins after looking at the guide!
What I want to know is, you said that this happens mostly in hot weather, but why is the fan running when it occurs in cold weather? Sounds like there is something going on with your electrical system because the fan shouldn't come on until the coolant reaches a certain temp. Have you checked for trouble codes? What rpm is the engine idling at when this happens?

·
Registered
686 Posts
You guys do realize that, that is a factory built in process right? All Hondas have that function so that it keeps cooling even after the engine has shut off due to the heat.

The OP isn't complaining about the fan running after the motor is turned off. It's that sometimes starting his car warm, the engine barely runs, and the fan kicks on full.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The OP isn't complaining about the fan running after the motor is turned off. It's that sometimes starting his car warm, the engine barely runs, and the fan kicks on full.

Yeah! Exactly. It runs after I turn the car off for a few minutes like any normal car.

BUT - occasionally when I turn the ignition it doesn't idle properly, like 500 rpm and sputtering. The fan goes full blast.
I always turn the car off and it's never done it twice in a row.

·
fis-tuppa-cop-sass
888 Posts
I got same problem...what also works is when you start car......fan comes on right.....then you can go pull the clock fuse under hood (ecu reset fuse) while car is running, fan goes off, plug fuse back in, fan stays off...

also I have jiggled radiator fan switch (blu & blk) wires that go to under radiator...that has worked sometimes...

this little annoyance still occurs sometimes even after my h22 swap

I have also heard that water or what not can leak down through rear pass window onto the radiator fan timer unit causing it to do whatever.....

I've been poking around doing different things on this issue for about a year now......it's annoying yes, but not on the top of my list.....yet

do you live in portland......where?
I live off Lombard in North Portland

1 - 8 of 8 Posts