Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
iamNOTerator
5,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After being stuck in my friends driveway last night because my car would not go into any gear from a stop, I figured I had a leak somewhere. Also the clutch pedal felt dead until being pushed half way down where it finally got pressure. I get home, top off my clutch fluid reservoirs and look for the leak. What do you know? Its coming out of my Master Clutch Cylinder inside the car near the fuse box. I had just replaced my slave cylinder and took it to a shop for the master not too long ago. I check my records and the Master Cylinder was done on 8/04/08 when my car had just around 130,000 miles. Now....5 months and less than 5,000 miles later it needs to be replaced again.

the shop is going to give me some kind of warranty offer. I don't think they used an OEM part last time. I called Honda and they have them in stock for $130.....is it worth it? I have an ACT extreme pressure plate so my clutch is much stiffer than it needs to be. Which may be the reason why the knock off part failed so quickly. Does anyone else with a powerful clutch have to replace master clutch cylinders often?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I'm using a used OEM master cylinder that had 40k miles on it when i bought it and it works fine with centerforce dual-friction clutch. The 40k miles that were previously on it are also from the same clutch.

·
Memento Mori
7,501 Posts
Go with a genuine Honda one next time. Cheaper aftermarket parts are exactly that, cheaper. Don't buy it from your dealer though (massive mark-up), buy it from hondaautomotiveparts.com or PM physchoboy on here and order it from him

·
Registered
257 Posts
Are you sure it's the clutch master cylinder and not the clutch slave cylinder? Did they just change the master last when it was done... Because they are reecommended to be changed in pairs.

·
GPS Enabled
1,014 Posts
Go with a genuine Honda one next time. Cheaper aftermarket parts are exactly that, cheaper. Don't buy it from your dealer though (massive mark-up), buy it from hondaautomotiveparts.com or PM physchoboy on here and order it from him
I paid $18 on NOPI for a Tokico (which is made by Nissin) and it works great. Sometimes cheap isn't always bad, but most of the time it is. I just checked NOPI.com and unfortunately they don't sell one for a 5g.

·
iamNOTerator
5,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure it's the clutch master cylinder and not the clutch slave cylinder? Did they just change the master last when it was done... Because they are reecommended to be changed in pairs.
yes, both the slave cylinder and master cylinder where changed 6 months ago. I personally did the slave cylinder while I had a mechanic do the master because it is a real pain in the ass. Also I can clearly see clutch fluid coming out of the master cylinder so I'm sure that is the problem.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Where is the fluid coming out of the master cylinder?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts