Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have a 5lug conversion on my 4th gen, with 97-01 base wheels. I was wondering, does anyone know what the offset on these wheels is? maybe itd be better to post this in the 5th gen section... I know H4L has a 5th gen and is always in the 4th gen section, so maybe he can let me know? Reason I want to know is I'm looking at some 5x114.3 wheels and they are a +45 offset, I think (I can find out in a second though) so I wanted to get an idea whether theyd stick out farther or sink in lower than my current rims. Thanks guys

·
Banned
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
5th gen wheels are 55mm
not sure what what stock 4th gens are
so the 5th gen base wheels are 55mm offset, that would mean the new wheels i want would sink into my tire well 10mm. forget that, then, haha. i want some extended lugs and spacers to make my wheels flush, so maybe if i just get larger spacers...hmmm. thanks for the help

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, I have a 5lug conversion on my 4th gen, with 97-01 base wheels. I was wondering, does anyone know what the offset on these wheels is? maybe itd be better to post this in the 5th gen section... I know H4L has a 5th gen and is always in the 4th gen section, so maybe he can let me know? Reason I want to know is I'm looking at some 5x114.3 wheels and they are a +45 offset, I think (I can find out in a second though) so I wanted to get an idea whether theyd stick out farther or sink in lower than my current rims. Thanks guys
where did you get the conversion kit from? how much did it cost?

·
Registered
304 Posts
so the 5th gen base wheels are 55mm offset, that would mean the new wheels i want would sink into my tire well 10mm. forget that, then, haha. i want some extended lugs and spacers to make my wheels flush, so maybe if i just get larger spacers...hmmm. thanks for the help
No, it would mean it would stick out 10 mm more, not sink in.

·
Banned
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No, it would mean it would stick out 10 mm more, not sink in.
haha, u are right, i was thinking backwards :dozingoff:

as he said above, its not a kit, you basically buy 5th gen spindles, which hopefully come with calipers and rotors (if you have an SI, as the caliper brackets are larger) - at least mine did. From there, its a very easy install, take off your spindles, put on the new ones. Take this time to replace your balljoints, LCAs, UCAs, steering and trailing arms, brake pads, rotors (the ones they will come with are prolly shitty and rusted/warped) and any other parts that need replacing. If you're thinking about lowering, this is also a good time to do it. A very good opportunity, as alot of parts that make the job harder are disconnected.

You can do the whole job the cheap way, for about $250 (thats what I paid, before it became well-known to junkyards - now I think it's about $400 shipped) or you can spend an extra $600 or so, and replace alot of parts that are maybe as old as 16 years, depending on the yr of your lude. Do it once, and do it right, or don't do it at all. I wouldn't want to know what would happen if you messed up the conversion and something you should have replaced broke while you were driving. You prolly wouldn't have a car, or your life, anymore. Jesus imagine the spindle breaking off while doing 70mph on the freeway... thatd quite possibly be the worst thing that could ever happen while driving, next to getting run over by a tractor-trailer semi..

edit- theres a rumor floating around that you need 5th gen axles for the job, not true- space out your hub with heavy duty washers that are large enough to go around your axles spindle, but small enough to fit into the hubs circular space. i forget, but maybe 5mm worth of washers per side? i could measure next time the wheels are off, but its on a writeup somewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.