Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys so my car got broken into 2 nights ago. whoever did it must not have known to much about newer hondas, because they tried to rip the ignition out and start the car with a screwdriver and anyone that owns or works on them knows that ot has a chip and u need the key to start the car. anyways make a long story short they end up stealing my headunit and distroying my ignition. i went to honda yesterday to find out how much to replace and reprogram everything and they said $800-$1000! so i want to know if u guys know if u can get this kind of work done somewhere else and/or if i repace the parts myself will honda still reprogram it for me? idk its just alot of money, but right know i cant even drive the car. any advice would help dont hold back.

·
Registered
568 Posts
hey guys so my car got broken into 2 nights ago. whoever did it must not have known to much about newer hondas, because they tried to rip the ignition out and start the car with a screwdriver and anyone that owns or works on them knows that ot has a chip and u need the key to start the car. anyways make a long story short they end up stealing my headunit and distroying my ignition. i went to honda yesterday to find out how much to replace and reprogram everything and they said $800-$1000! so i want to know if u guys know if u can get this kind of work done somewhere else and/or if i repace the parts myself will honda still reprogram it for me? idk its just alot of money, but right know i cant even drive the car. any advice would help dont hold back.
look for the parts on the forums bro. you should be able to get them cheap. for instance i just sold my OEM steering wheel w/ ignition and turn signals for $115 shipped. you can have a local locksmith replace the ignition cylinder and it will come w/ new keys. i'm not sure if you can have HONDA reprogram your ish but i don't see why not.

my lude got broken into 2 months ago and the fukkers got away w/ my rims and a bunch of other shyt totalling $2700 so i def feel for you man. sorry this happened to you and your lude.

good luck!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sucks to hear. But like Maddog said, I hope you chose to have theft/vandalism coverage on your insurance. You should only pay a deductible. Yeah those immobilizers are damned expensive.
yeah but the problems is that i have a $500 deductible, so they would only be giving me $300-$500 and then my rates will go up and over time ill end up spending more money that way.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
what insurance do you have... state farm didnt go up on me when my red lude got keyed up... but that blows, and i wouldnt go to honda for anything unless you have to... they are already gonna be expensive... try junkyards and autozone and stuff and a local repitable mech. to work on it

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
what insurance do you have... state farm didnt go up on me when my red lude got keyed up... but that blows, and i wouldnt go to honda for anything unless you have to... they are already gonna be expensive... try junkyards and autozone and stuff and a local repitable mech. to work on it

I have state farm also with comprehensive and a $50 deductible, I haven't claimed anything so I don't know if insurance would go up or not.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
try talking to a good alarm shop, tell them what happened and see if they can run a start-up alarm that by-passes the module that reads the chip in the key. that way all you need is an igition.
I wouldn't do that. The immobilizer was the only thing that kept his car from being stolen. I kept the stock immobilizer and also have the alarms immobilizer. I just like having the extra security.

·
Registered
175 Posts
hey chester, i noticed your from south florida. i would check out honda king, there in opa locka. i recently picked up a hood, trunk, and bumpers. i believe they have 2 messed up ludes over there. might wanna give it a shot, you never know. BTW what location was the car at where it got broken into

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey chester, i noticed your from south florida. i would check out honda king, there in opa locka. i recently picked up a hood, trunk, and bumpers. i believe they have 2 messed up ludes over there. might wanna give it a shot, you never know. BTW what location was the car at where it got broken into
thanks for the info and i was in the hollywood area in broward

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
yeah but the problems is that i have a $500 deductible, so they would only be giving me $300-$500 and then my rates will go up and over time ill end up spending more money that way.
But last time i checked ur insurance shouldnt go up if it wasnt your fault. So really, it shouldnt go up. And if this is a first they might not raise ur insurance (depends on company)
Also, did you file a police report? If you put your serial numbers into cpic cops,customs ever find something suspicious (ie decks) they just look it up and it comes up stolen. then they get caught.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But last time i checked ur insurance shouldnt go up if it wasnt your fault. So really, it shouldnt go up. And if this is a first they might not raise ur insurance (depends on company)
Also, did you file a police report? If you put your serial numbers into cpic cops,customs ever find something suspicious (ie decks) they just look it up and it comes up stolen. then they get caught.
FL is a no-fault state so if u get into an accident both parties insurance will go up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.