1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
17,737 Posts
If you spray the car with soapy water and then put it on, you can slide it into place and then squeegy the water out and dry it in place

·
Registered
114 Posts
danny_d19 said:
If you spray the car with soapy water and then put it on, you can slide it into place and then squeegy the water out and dry it in place
Yup, soap water is your best bet.

I have to put of window vinyls at my work (hollywood video) every week and if it weren't for the water I would have messed every one up.

·
Premium Member
17,737 Posts
maybe you dont squeegee it, just blowdry it or something

I bet if you search google you will come up with an educated answer

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Hold it with your other hand while you squeegee. Once you squeegee down part of it, it'll stay put. Also, once you start squeegeeing, work outward from that spot. Don't start all over the place to tack it down then hope everything evens out.

Windex works, too. The alcohol helps it evaporate quicker.

Or just get a sharpie and draw the thing on... The windex will take it right off next time you wash and you can do a fresh design :p

BTW this should go in Detailing or General, not N/A

·
HOME GROWN HOMIE
5,819 Posts
why would u want vinyls like that anyway? the only vinyl that deserves to be on ur car is a preludepower.com one

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I dont know where you're at, but if you're in southern cali I can get vinyl done for you. It's pricey though, whatever design you want I'll print up on vinyl and get someone to professionally apply it. If I remember right it's 25-30 bucks per square foot.

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
SquishyPanda said:
Hold it with your other hand while you squeegee. Once you squeegee down part of it, it'll stay put. Also, once you start squeegeeing, work outward from that spot. Don't start all over the place to tack it down then hope everything evens out.

Windex works, too. The alcohol helps it evaporate quicker.

Or just get a sharpie and draw the thing on... The windex will take it right off next time you wash and you can do a fresh design :p
yup.. this works....
(but i dont know about the sharpie part)

·
Registered
797 Posts
NO NO NO DO NOT USE WINDEX......it does not have an alcahol base...it has an amonia base which will hinder the adhesive(by making it disolve). I too work in a vinyl shop in Tennessee and I do these things all the time. Depending on the application I will use a vinyl application fluid called SPLASH (10:1 ration of water:splash) or I will apply it dry. I usually tape the decal in place and where ever there is a seem (fender line, door jam anyplace the body is seperated) I will cut that section along the line of the seem. That way I do not have to deal with such a big section to try and lay.

Lots of people will use the soap and water but that takes too long for me. But at the same time it works. Just take your time or better yet take it to someone that knows what they are doing. I am sure you would much raterh spend a little bit more cash that lose the money you spent getting the decal, when you mess your up for getting too impatient.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts