Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a automatic H22a stock prelude, am wondering if i should put a exhaust on it, but i heard how a automatic car sounds with a exhaust and it sounds pretty crappy. Do you guys think i should put a exhaust on and if yes what size exhaust and what brand?.

My car is a little high in the back and i want to get it lower so the front and back could be at the same level. would it be safe to just cut the back springs to level up with the front?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
99.9% of the people on this site will tell you how unsafe it is to cut springs.

99.9% of those people have little to no working knowledge of automotive suspensions.

the .1% of the people on this site who do have a working knowledge of automotive suspensions will remind you that coil springs are not found in nature, and logic dictates that they are cut during the forming process.

when you cut coil springs, you alter their performance curve...theoretically raising their rate while simultaneously lowering their capacity.

cutting too much off can result in a spring that cannot compress quickly enough to keep from bending a wheel, or it can result in a spring that quickly fatigues and fails under the weight of your car.

obviously, lowering a car on stock shocks/struts can move the static height away from where the strut wants it to be. eventually, you can bottom the strut out, causing a terrible ride and damage to the struts.

having cut literally dozens of springs on all sorts of cars, I can assure you that a wrap or two off the back will not cause any of the situations i've described above.

make sure you cut the wire properly; quickly and with as little heat as possible. I use a 14" carbide blade chop saw. make sure you clean the end of the cut up to match the original end you just cut off (if the old end tapered down to flat....the new end needs to as well)

go slowly. it's easier to cut three 1/4 coils and test fit the height than it is to cut one full coil and figure out it's too low.

also, honda uses the bump stops and bushings as part of the suspension package. you'll want to trim the stops down to match the trimming of the spring, as well as reclocking the bushings for the new static height. failing to do either of these (which MOST people forget to do) will result in a super high total spring rate, and will likely cause damage or loss of control.

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
while cutting your springs might be doable and still be safe...why risk it? You can get a nice set of used performance springs that have a nice even drop all around for like $80. Is your life worth $80? My biggest concern with cutting springs is that they may not seat correctly on the shock perch once cut. The coil spring is the only thing holding your car off the tires.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
I got megan catback its 2.5" and 4.5" out, might not the best and might not the most expensive. but i like it. it's got a VERY deep tone. well worth its money IMO. I just love it. Ill send u a vid if u like. just pm in that case.

if i were u, I would buy used instead of destroying the stock.
u might need em some day. U dont know yet,
maybe ur car will look like shit if ur cut em wrong and u might wont be able to drive it, u dont know yet.
U might get some serious handling loss, u dont know yet.
U might wreck the car cuz of that and get som REALLY BAD injuries, THAT u dont know yet either.

so why risk it?

·
Registered
763 Posts
don't cut your springs. they were designed for a certain ride height, spring rate and load. I've never heard of a stock heigh car having suspension issues other than regular wear and tear. Honda designed it that way and I trust their engineers more than a forum user with the word "psycho" in their username.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
jlude said:
The coil spring is the only thing holding your car off the tires.
actually, the bump stops and the upper control arms hit before the tires do in almost every honda that has upper control arms since the mid 80s. in fact, i think they are designed that way as a safety issue....can you imagine the loss of control one would experience if a spring were to fail causing one tire lock up against the chassis?

don't cut your springs. they were designed for a certain ride height, spring rate and load. I've never heard of a stock heigh car having suspension issues other than regular wear and tear. Honda designed it that way and I trust their engineers more than a forum user with the word "psycho" in their username.

yeah....cuz there's no chance a guy with the word "psycho" in his user name might have an engineering background, right? no chance that this "psycho" guy might have over 15 years of automotive suspension design and fabrication in his background, right?

if you think i am wrong, use what i've posted to prove it. show where what i have said is inaccurate or incomplete. google up some better sources than I that prove me wrong.

making accusations when you don't know what you are talking about only serves to make you look foolish.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
I wouldn't suggest anyone cutting their springs.
But is that because it's unsafe? No, it's because the way most peopel do it is unsafe as they don't know how to do it properly.

Honda didn't design springs, they just use ones specced for the job, changing them just changes their spec.

but I would never trust a forum user with "boy" in his username. That means he must only be like 9 years old or something.

·
Registered
763 Posts
yeah....cuz there's no chance a guy with the word "psycho" in his user name might have an engineering background, right? no chance that this "psycho" guy might have over 15 years of automotive suspension design and fabrication in his background, right?

if you think i am wrong, use what i've posted to prove it. show where what i have said is inaccurate or incomplete. google up some better sources than I that prove me wrong.

making accusations when you don't know what you are talking about only serves to make you look foolish.
if you don't have the money to afford a set of springs and shocks, then you shouldn't be messing around with cutting springs. period. I don't care how many scientific/engineering way to do it correctly...someones life is not worth the 200$ an average set will run you from a good Ebay seller.
Most people who end up doing such things are ricers and ghetto modders trying to save a buck. and you say you're an engineer?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
if you don't have the money to afford a set of springs and shocks, then you shouldn't be messing around with cutting springs. period.
what if nobody makes the spring rate and height you want for you specific application? what if those one size fits none 'custom' springs wont' work for your car? is it better to gain the knowledge and build the springs that work for you, or is it better to pay someone else who gained that knowledge to build those springs for you?

in either case, the same knowledge builds the same spring. the difference is the money you spend for someone else's knowledge.

just because YOU can't do something, doesn't mean someone else can't.

in the case of the OP....is there someone making leveling springs for the 5th gen prelude? ones that will just bring the rear down a tad so it doesn't have the mullet-rake? if not...should he get eibach to custom wrap him a set? i'm sure that's gonna be cost efficient. maybe he should just throw a couple cinder blocks in the trunk, that'll bring the rear down a bit, AND he'll be using the cargo capacity honda designed into the car!

I don't care how many scientific/engineering way to do it correctly...someones life is not worth the 200$ an average set will run you from a good Ebay seller.
please explain to me how someone's life would be harmed by cut springs, if those springs are cut in an intelligent manner. in fact....tell me how millions of lives aren't cut short every day, since every car with coils on the planet is running cut springs of some sort.

Most people who end up doing such things are ricers and ghetto modders trying to save a buck.
yeah, like those silly race cars guys, building things they need out of things they have. those goofy things that don't exist until someone builds them. sometimes, you're the builder...sometimes you're the buyer....

i'm willing to bet you are the latter WAAAY more often than you are the former.

and you say you're an engineer?
did i?

let's play a little game...a little test of knowledge, if you will.

there is a commonly held formula for figuring the spring rate of coil springs:

spring rate = SR
modulus of spring steel = K
wire diameter = WD
number of active coils = AC
mean coil diameter = CD

SR= (K x WD^4)/(8xACxCD^3)

i can prove, both logically, and experimentally, that this formula is incomplete at best, inaccurate at worst.

can you?

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
I can never understand why anyone with such flawed views on things can argue so vehemently against the facts.
There's lots of it going on.

BTW someone had best acknowledge my earlier sarcasm or I'll be upset.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I can never understand why anyone with such flawed views on things can argue so vehemently against the facts.
There's lots of it going on.

i'm always open to learn something new....

others find it difficult to teach me something new, tho.

BTW someone had best acknowledge my earlier sarcasm or I'll be upset.

sorry....

the only real response i could think of involves something that means almost nothing to a grand portion of this board, but would be funny as hell locally.

but, what the hay, i'll give it a shot any way.

I would never trust a forum user with "boy" in his username. That means he must only be like 9 years old or something.
i'm a man! i'm 40!!

http://www.thermocaster.com/2007/09/24/im-a-man-im-40/

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Don't cut spring, unsafe and makes cars ride like crap. My buddy's little brother bought a modded blazer and the springs were cut and it drives terrible.

did you bother reading any of the posts in this thread before you offered your insightful opinion?

·
Registered
15 Posts
i honestly believe that cutting your springs is a bad idea, i got tein s-tech springs on my 5th gen lude and it lowered both front and rear but evened the car out overally, and you can easily find them for round $150

and the exhaust thing on auto's..mines also an auto (planning on swapping) and i have a skunk2 exhaust and it sounds like a beast..its a very deep steady tone, no weedeater sounding exhaust :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Never cut springs period. And for exhaust.....RSR Exmag if you can find it. Great torque and no lawn mower sound.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
sorry....

the only real response i could think of involves something that means almost nothing to a grand portion of this board, but would be funny as hell locally.
I'll click the link as soon as I get a moment.

But TBH just acknowledgement that someone realised it was sarcasm is fine :lol:

There is so much fucking ignorance around here I find it hard to believe. :rolleyes2:

the point really is:
If you are complete moron who has no idea how springs work... don't cut yours.
If you have a clue then carry on and use the knowledge you have to your advantage.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,277 Posts
Don't cut your springs... the fact you even considered it makes me question your intelligence. :|

Prepare yourself for when your auto tranny craps out... it's only a matter of time now.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Not many threads go on here without arguements.

If you know what you are doing then go ahead, if you dont then its your own risk.
Honda R&D put the springs in their with their rate and height, so unless you have engineering experience such as psychoboy then, again, its your own risk.

I am standing by my statement that the safest option is NOT to. As has been said, if done incorrectly, struts can be damaged, ride can be shit etc.

And MommysLittleMonster, why would you say something as general as "its only a matter of time"?
A lot of people with SS Autos have never had a problem, and a lot never will.
For example, you have to do some decent searching to find a 5th gen with a crapped out auto in Australia.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,277 Posts
And MommysLittleMonster, why would you say something as general as "its only a matter of time"?
A lot of people with SS Autos have never had a problem, and a lot never will.
I say that because a solid 90% of people who have an auto have had nothing but problems- in the half-year or so i've been on here, i have yet to hear a single good thing about the SS tranny.:plain:

Also, who mods their car to drive it slow? SS trannys aren't built to take the abuse that most owners will dish out (not intentionally to abuse their transmissions- a Prelude is a sports car, and should be driven as such). From what i've gathered about the OP, lowering a car and putting an aftermarket exhaust is just the tip of the iceberg... :headbang:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts