Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Officially Retro'd
Joined
·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... Im having a bit of a problem. My exhaust seems to be FULL of carbon lately. I am getting a black film on my rear end and my exhaust tips are black as can be. Any idea what could be causing this? I just replaced both the front and rear o2 sensors, so im thinking it may be a cat issue? Any help would be great. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
what are your mods? sounds like you are running really rich. something with how the O2 sensors are reading is probably messing it up. you could be burning oil too.
 

·
Officially Retro'd
Joined
·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My only engine mods are:
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
AEM CAI
AEM Air By-Pass Valve
Mugen Thermostat
Mugen Radiator Cap

I am also running Royal Purple Synthetic oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,545 Posts
Thats going to happen. Honda's or at least our ludes run rich. Theres a product called Seafoam(if thats what im thinking of-i could be wrong) that will reduce it. I think someone asked about this recently.
 

·
2ludes 1s2000
Joined
·
10,675 Posts
nitromaster said:
My only engine mods are:
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
AEM CAI
AEM Air By-Pass Valve
Mugen Thermostat
Mugen Radiator Cap

I am also running Royal Purple Synthetic oil.
Could simply be the ECU adjusting to the increased air flow of the intake or changes in operating temps.

I'd recommend a tune.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
 

·
Officially Retro'd
Joined
·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hprelude5R said:
Could simply be the ECU adjusting to the increased air flow of the intake or changes in operating temps.

I'd recommend a tune.
Prolly a n00b question, but what exactly needs to be tuned? Can I have it done at my local mechanic?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,765 Posts
tuned means having your air/fuel ratios modified and or your ignition timing. this has to be done with some kind of engine management program and cannot be done by the average local mechanic.
 

·
2ludes 1s2000
Joined
·
10,675 Posts
91preyludesi said:
tuned means having your air/fuel ratios modified and or your ignition timing. this has to be done with some kind of engine management program and cannot be done by the average local mechanic.
Yep, check for import/tuner shops. The best place to start asking around would be tint/wheel/tire shops.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
 

·
Officially Retro'd
Joined
·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hprelude5R said:
Yep, check for import/tuner shops. The best place to start asking around would be tint/wheel/tire shops.
yeah, I live in small town without much around so there really isnt anywhere to go around here. Might have to make a road trip or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Valve Seals

It sound's like valve seals. My Prelude does it too. have a friend or someone stand behind your car and check it when the engine is running cold. Let it warm up.I bet it goes away then. if so you have a bad valve seal.check the oil every week i bet its a little low.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
get a fuel pressure regulator and a mechanics stethascope. adjust the fuel and increase the timing by a degree and listen for detonation in the cylinders. if you dont hear any detonation move another degree. do that till you hear slight detonation and back it off adegree or two. thats my suggestion.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top