Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys know of a flange gasket that is worth a damn? I have a greddy sp2 on my sh and it's been getting louder and popping. Sure enough both rear gaskets were blown out the top and bottom.

It looks like they have been replaced before since it had 2 different bolt sizes and grade 5 markings. I figure stainless bolts would have came with it. Either way I'm glad these rusty bastards all snapped fast.

Closest I've found is a 2.5" that doesn't have a lot of meat top and bottom but I'll check more stores tomorrow. Tube is only 2.25" id. Not set up for welding stainless so that is out. Well welding it so it won't rust.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Are you talking the gaskets going to the head from the flange, or the two ring gaskets for the oem style header?

IF you talking the two ring gaskets, best thing to do is jut toss the whoel oem header and get a real one. Those gaskets always suck, and the oem header is terriblwe for power anyway. Best bet is to get a different header that you don't have to worry about.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
I've never been able to get a good gasket seal. The last time I goofed with my exhaust I actually hunted through a bin of gaskets at the parts store until I found a copper gasket that matched (for the most part) and used it.

If I find the part number I'll gladly pass it along.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Copper would be nice or to find a sheet of material.

I stopped by a couple shops today with limited to no inventory. Took the opportunity to stop in a newer small muffler shop. He had a couple metal one ones with a little more meat than the fiber one I found but still not perfect or as thick as i'd like. Guess I'll shoot them with some vht header paint and see how it goes.

A couple of the holes are pulled a little so need to rig up a clamp to fix that. My luck the 3 bolt flange at the cat is blown out too. Been smelling a little eggy every now and then so may have test pipe that. Although i remember reading about issues with the o2 sensors when doing those.

·
'01 Milano Red - BB615
982 Posts
I've heard of people spraying "Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket Hi-Temp Adhesive Sealant" on the gaskets before installing. I haven't done it myself, but it should help.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
For what its worth, it might be easier to cut off and weld on a vband.

vband or bust!

·
'01 Milano Red - BB615
982 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got some metal ones like I linked but local and much cheaper. The size was 2.5". Hosed them down with vht since one had some flash rust that i removed. Damn hardware store wanted $10 just for the 4 bolts in stainless so hit the farm store for some new grade 5 and washers that also got a vht treatment. It's now the quietest vehicle i own. We'll see how it holds up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts