Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, so I got a ticket. Allegedly 17 over the limit (52 in a 35).

I just figured I'd ask a few questions of anyone who could answer them without lecturing me on "you were going too fast you stupid kid". I got profiled anyways... its the street that people race on that I got pulled over on... for not racing.

So anyways, he allegedly got me at 52 from 650 feet away (he was directly in front of me, just off to the side of the road.

He turned on his lights and pulled out before I even passed by him, and nearly side-swipped me as I passed by.


Questions are... is he able to radar me from that far away in that method? COuld he have possibly radared someone else? Because I tell you that I certainly was not doing 52. I looked at my speedometer before even seeing him and was at roughly 45, and then I slowed down to 40 about 150 feet before passing him.

Also, he never got my signature on my ticket. He just handed me a print out, but never had me sign his little palm thingy (he was a motorcycle cop). WOuld this be something crucial?

And alas, has anyone had much luck contesting speeding tickets such as this one in court? I've got a clean record (though I have an unsettled ticket for spinning out in a turn during rainy conditions thats going to be dismissed with a signature).


Anything here is appreciated. I don't feel like paying a $200 ticket.
Also, the pamphlet he gave me says that my generic fine is 200 bucks, but then online on my court website, it says that for my offense and doing 17 over its $150.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
That sucks man.. you need to get yourself a radar detector.

A cop is able to register a vehicle from 650 ft away, but with a high powered gun. How many cars were around you? Sometimes they can get mixed up, but it's possible he picked you up.

Yes, you signing the ticket is a big thing.. atleast I think. In principle, you sign off agreeing that you sped and will pay a ticket. He never got a sig. So.. my advice would be to contest the ticket, and say that you never signed it. It's the cop's bad, and it MAY be dismissed. I dunno, it's worth a shot.

If I were you, I would contest it anyway. What do you have to lose? You may be able to get out of it.. just pray that the cop doesn't show up, or bank on the fact that you didn't sign the ticket.


Other than that.. good luck, and get a radar detector!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,788 Posts
is this your first ticket?
If so, there's some law you can go by that will wipe the ticket out if you dont get another one within the month, but you will still have to pay the ticket. Money out of pocket, but insurance wont find out.

I have a few friends that have reasoned with the judge, down to a seat belt violation, basically a non-moving violation, like a parking ticket... Which wont go on your record.

As far as not signing the ticket... Did you "recieve" this ticket you speak of? hahaha:evil smile:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
97 Lude VTec said:
As far as not signing the ticket... Did you "recieve" this ticket you speak of? hahaha:evil smile:
On no official level did I ever observe the fact that I received a ticket and not simply a warning. heheh.

Also, my insurance isn't a problem. As long as I get no more than 2 tickets that go against my license within 2 years, my insurance stays where it is. And like I said, i've got that other one thats hanging over my head in the bag. Plus I can go to traffic school once within 2 years to keep stuff from going against my license.

I just don't want to pay 200 bucks for going slower than most people do on that street at night. :)


If I can get this garbage dismissed, I'm immediatly putting the money that I would have spent on the ticket towards a radar detector...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,044 Posts
i do believe the ticket will be dropped in court due to the fact that you did not sign it....also go to the dmv and get a copy of your driving history and take that with you so if it isnt dropped you can ask for it to be taken under advisement which is basically where if you stay clean for however long then it disappears like it never happened except for the fine...only bad side to advisement is if you get another ticket during the time then it comes back to haunt you...as far as the cops radar i would ask for proof of the last time it was calibrated cause they have to do it so often or they are useless.....good luck bro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
jdawgs92ludesi said:
i do believe the ticket will be dropped in court due to the fact that you did not sign it....also go to the dmv and get a copy of your driving history and take that with you so if it isnt dropped you can ask for it to be taken under advisement which is basically where if you stay clean for however long then it disappears like it never happened except for the fine...only bad side to advisement is if you get another ticket during the time then it comes back to haunt you...as far as the cops radar i would ask for proof of the last time it was calibrated cause they have to do it so often or they are useless.....good luck bro
Agreed. In my area if you go to court and plead not-guilty though, it revokes your rights to attend driving school to get it knocked off. I believe that if you didn't sign it you didn't agree to appear in court, because signing the ticket indicates that you agree to appear in court on a certain day...which in turn could mean a simple dismissal. Are you sure you didn't sign it? Sometimes you can't see your signature on the carbon...or if you signed his pda thingy it might not have actually printed. When I get pulled over i usually get so upset for getting pulled over for something stupid i forget what actually happened usually :p Good luck.
 

·
2ludes 1s2000
Joined
·
10,675 Posts
This whole signing the ticket thing is so old. By reading pp.com the officer always forgets some loophole that everone claims can get you off.

I'm sorry people, it doesn't work like that. If the pig testifies, then his word is good enough.

Besides that, how many inept cops do you think there are? By reading speeding ticket threads, everyone on the planet is inept leaving open some sort of policy loophole.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
 

·
Test PipE MasTeR
Joined
·
1,488 Posts
ok i learned that if u see a cop n ur doing like 45 in a 40 dont jus slam on ur brakes jus dive like u would normally..bcuz when a cop sees ppl slam on their brakes they think that yea he was speeding..when u can say you were jus flowing with traffic...thats wat i noticed in my area(NJ)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,788 Posts
Hprelude5R said:
This whole signing the ticket thing is so old. By reading pp.com the officer always forgets some loophole that everone claims can get you off.

I'm sorry people, it doesn't work like that. If the pig testifies, then his word is good enough.

well.. 98% of the time here... the cop doesnt show up to court, and you can get off. Thats why i mentioned that. The judge has no idea what happened unless the cop is there...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
xeroxruler said:
Agreed. In my area if you go to court and plead not-guilty though, it revokes your rights to attend driving school to get it knocked off. I believe that if you didn't sign it you didn't agree to appear in court, because signing the ticket indicates that you agree to appear in court on a certain day...which in turn could mean a simple dismissal. Are you sure you didn't sign it? Sometimes you can't see your signature on the carbon...or if you signed his pda thingy it might not have actually printed. When I get pulled over i usually get so upset for getting pulled over for something stupid i forget what actually happened usually :p Good luck.
Yeah, I'm deffinetly didn't sign it.


But thanks to everyone for all the feedback. I'll deffinetly be contesting it, and I'll see what I can pull out from my sleeve to help me.
 

·
The Good Stuff
Joined
·
3,587 Posts
2000BB6 said:
ok i learned that if u see a cop n ur doing like 45 in a 40 dont jus slam on ur brakes jus dive like u would normally..bcuz when a cop sees ppl slam on their brakes they think that yea he was speeding..when u can say you were jus flowing with traffic...thats wat i noticed in my area(NJ)
I use my hand brake so they can't see the brake lights :smilejap:
 

·
::Decepticon make-over::
Joined
·
661 Posts
Well everyone's input is the basic to get out of ticket, but next time, put car in neutral and press brake gently till you coast by the police officer, then as youre about to pass, release the brake, still coasting by.

Prettly lucky that he didnt spank you with a reckelss driving fine.(only fine that once a cop fines you, you need a lawyer to fight because it's your word versus his)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
si_speed said:
I use my hand brake so they can't see the brake lights :smilejap:
Generally cops are in front of you, so they won't see the lights.. lol..

You're basically just weakening the e-brake, which sucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The cop tagged me from 650 feet away. I slowed down to 40mph almost 200 feet before I passed by him.

I don't know if he got the right car. Because like i said, I wasn't going that fast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
i have plenty experiance in this area, trust me 14 tickets in 3 years and only 2 on my record. so here is what you need to do plead not guilty at your arrainment and then when you go to court. if the officer shows up talk to him before trial, show up about 30 min before, and plead with the officer to let you go to driving school bvecause of your good record. depending on how that goes after the officer gives his statement if he does not say anything about him calibrating his radar detector before and after the stop you can bring up that his gun was not calibrated right and then he would not be able to gun you by law. if he brings up he tuned it with a tunning fork then you have to tell your side and admit to going over the speed limit but when you checked your speedo it was only 11 over. and then ask the judge to go to driving school because of your great record. worst case senario you will get the fine reduced down and it goes on your record but its only 1 point. so there is a few more points i could give but i cant go to trial with you and i dont know your state law but hey i have gotten 14 tickets dropped, 2 for my friends, so the odds are better in your favor.
good luck man
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
killer98lude said:
i have plenty experiance in this area, trust me 14 tickets in 3 years and only 2 on my record. so here is what you need to do plead not guilty at your arrainment and then when you go to court. if the officer shows up talk to him before trial, show up about 30 min before, and plead with the officer to let you go to driving school bvecause of your good record. depending on how that goes after the officer gives his statement if he does not say anything about him calibrating his radar detector before and after the stop you can bring up that his gun was not calibrated right and then he would not be able to gun you by law. if he brings up he tuned it with a tunning fork then you have to tell your side and admit to going over the speed limit but when you checked your speedo it was only 11 over. and then ask the judge to go to driving school because of your great record. worst case senario you will get the fine reduced down and it goes on your record but its only 1 point. so there is a few more points i could give but i cant go to trial with you and i dont know your state law but hey i have gotten 14 tickets dropped, 2 for my friends, so the odds are better in your favor.
good luck man
well thanks for that, i'll keep that all in mind. i figure that if i cant get it dismissed, i can at least get the fine reduced. there's a lot of factors that i can use.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top